Forums
May 05, 2024, 06:49 PM

Author Topic: No anonymity for smite/applaud  (Read 7727 times)

Offline Random00

Re: No anonymity for smite/applaud
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 09:10 PM »
I wanna be able to give applauds/smites for a post without any justification, so I'd really prefer to have this done anonymously.
1984 :)

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 09:12 PM »
I kinda like it the way it is. People tend to get upset when they are smited.. it's gonna be a whole different argument when you know who's behind it (and not in a positive way)  :-[

The point he is making is the fact that people smite people for petty reasons all the time and nobody knows who they are. Without anonymity people are going to smite far less than they do now. They'll only do it when there is a valid reason that other people would agree with. This is undoubtedly a FAIRER system than what we have now. Ive already suggested removing the karma system completely as I believe it does more bad than good.
worm and learn

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 09:22 PM »
I think either way is fine with me. Sometimes its annoying to get -1 everyday for a while  because you pissed someone off good and don't know who it is. I know if I wake up on a Sunday and I am -10 then I obviously came on tus drunk and pissed people off and deserved smites. I then go back to acting normal for a week and it usually goes back up. So it works. I should be plus 100 soon though as I've finally quit drinking for good.  ;D
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 09:42 PM »
naaaa this is not enough.

Imo I believe that the Smite function must to be deleted. We dont need to it. This brings useful discussions and in a big cases its unfair.

DELETE the SMITE AEE

I agree 100% !
Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline sock

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 09:50 PM »
I kinda like it the way it is. People tend to get upset when they are smited.. it's gonna be a whole different argument when you know who's behind it (and not in a positive way)  :-[

The point he is making is the fact that people smite people for petty reasons all the time and nobody knows who they are. Without anonymity people are going to smite far less than they do now. They'll only do it when there is a valid reason that other people would agree with. This is undoubtedly a FAIRER system than what we have now. Ive already suggested removing the karma system completely as I believe it does more bad than good.

+1   remove
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:54 PM by oldsock »

Offline HHC

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 10:01 PM »
They'll only do it when there is a valid reason that other people would agree with.

That's the problem. In discussions/arguments both sides have valid reasons, but that's hardly ever a reason to agree with each other.

People may smite less, but when they do it's 50 times more likely to cause a reaction. There's already some people going berserk when they notice their karma has gone down 1 point. I don't think it's very realistic to expect them to go like 'oh, you negged me, I totally understand, you have a good point' with this new system.

I'm not in favour of removing the whole karma system. I think for some it can be a healthy reality check.

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 10:08 PM »
I dont think you understood my posts well though. You must imagine that when everyone knows their name would show if they smited without a good enough reason, do you think they would press that button? No they wouldnt, because then they themselves would look like assholes.

No, I understood :) But honestly, if someone is so petty to continually smite someone just cause he doesn't like the guy, then that person won't care if he looks like an asshole anyway. Some people don't even know what they're voting for considering some people already got voted on 0-5 as cup moderator despite their cup not having started and them not having hosted cups before.

I don't think losing the anonymity will change anything.

As HHC just said, karma can be a healthy reality check. I found it to be a good feedback loop about how my moderating went. Mostly, it went alright, sometimes, I got a bit of a minus boost, which told me I went too far/had the wrong idea/pissed someone off.
Do you really think removing the anonymity will help there?
As for Chelsea, who here doesn't know his reputation is much lower here than it actually should be in the community?

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 10:14 PM »
I'm not in favour of removing the whole karma system. I think for some it can be a healthy reality check.

I didnt say to remove the whole thing
but you say a few minuses by teenagers can have a positive effect on anyone online?
Or, if you are an angsty teenager, you think you'll "behave better" with a few minuses? I'm not sure about that...

DarkOne:  I see your point but I think you're mostly thinking about the effect of feedback on sensible people, who would be sensible anyways. On the other hand, yes, I do believe people care about not looking like assholes. Sometimes we all are and hopefully we'll apologise or admit when we have been, but I dont think anyone wants this "bad reputation" thing hanging over their head.

To be honest, I'm starting to doubt my own suggestion but I'm breakin my head to come up with a better one and I cant...I have failed my post :(
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 10:20 PM by Desetroyah »

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 10:23 PM »
Well, it clearly isn't a perfect system :o
"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." :)

Offline avirex

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 01:38 AM »
please, dont remove the applaud and smite feature, i have far too much fun smiting komo (when i remember to) because it pisses him off so much lol... i would not mind at all if you make it so everyone can see who is applauding and smiting.. it actually sounds like a good idea, im always curious as to who smites me, and applauds me...  and it would make no difference to me, i would still always smite komo :D haha

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 05:29 AM »
Is there a way to keep records of who smited who and who applauded who?  At the end of each week or month a report could be issued that would say basically who smited/applauded who and how many times... no explanations, just a record.  Although, that would probably be a lot of text, but maybe someone has an idea on how it could be organized?  This keeps the anonymity factor to an extent since you don't know who did it at the time and when and why someone smited/applauded and it also makes one think before using the karma system since their name will be revealed at the end of the month.  
  <-- my brain when I clan with avi

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 06:31 AM »
because it pisses him off so much lol...

Yeah, then you wake up, keep dreaming boy.

Offline Prankster

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 07:26 AM »
I made a suggestion some time ago, it went ignored though..

Either do that and keep it anonymous, or remove the entire karma system imo. Revealing names will not do any good, remember, this is the internet. :P

+1

Well I give or take karma sometimes (heh, like now :)), and I do care about how and why, but the whole thing doesn't really make much sense, since most of the ppl here use it in a very immature way..

Offline Rok

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 07:57 AM »
most of the ppl here use karma in a very immature way..

I disagree with that. For most people, it seems to work fine.

FWIW,I just clicked about 30 random profiles from members list (with 30+ posts) and I found only one which had reputation substantialy different than I expected.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 08:03 AM by Rok »
chakkman> if rok was a girl i d marry the bitch lolz

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 08:05 AM »
+1 Prankster

I've seen my karma decline steadily since yesterday because I said my opinion. Is that cool?

I said nothing to offend anyone and my falling karma (as I said before) proves my point 100%!

Ppl just "smite" because you said something they didnt agree with, let alone affect them.It was meant to be a conversation and what some of you said would happen if my suggestion were to happen ( "flaming" ) is happening now "quietly" on my karma!

The easiest thing is to press a button and know you're safe from anyone knowing you did it, whereas with names, no one would really dare "smite" and not justify unless they wanted to be assholes AND wanted everyone to know!

I just despise cowardness, thats all..

Lemme remind you Rok that sensible ppl (like you and many here) will use any system sensibly, my point is for the ppl who wouldnt and dont.  I'm not trying to fight with anyone here (just so that everyone knows :P)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 08:12 AM by Desetroyah »