Forums
April 28, 2024, 10:14 PM

Author Topic: Summer time blues???  (Read 7048 times)

Offline Chicken23

Re: Summer time blues???
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2014, 09:13 AM »
I do like the point and ladder system thought. But the inactivity does make it harder for players to get points off the top guys..

One thing i've already found interested is the seeding or ladder in tennis and snooker, how does this work in comparison to wa?

Some players have injuries and lose their top seeds because other players gain more points while those players are inactive. Look at Djokovic, Nadal, Federer and Murray (who's dropped alot). But also those top players are almost always forced to play so if they lose they'll drop down. Our top players arn't forced to play making the systems very different?

Offline Senator

« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2014, 10:37 AM »
In tennis collected points expire and drop out after one year. We could do the same here with the exception that points expire in two years instead of one (count only last 12 seasons into overall ranking). This could be also fine-tuned this way: the latest year 100% and the 2nd latest year 75% of the points, for example. To motivate top players to actually re-collect their points, they would be rewarded with season playoffs spots:

- players are forced to play to hold their position in the overall ranking
- you need to be only semi-active to get in the playoffs
- you can collect points at one point of the year and get rewarded with a spot in the next couple of playoffs

I would also give points for each win in the playoffs and count them into overall ranking (now you get zero points from the playoffs!) Again look at the top players in tennis. They play in big events only and  get their points from there. With something similar here we might get (some) old players interested once again.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2014, 11:07 AM »
The idea of resetting the League is perfect enough.

There is no need to try and improve on this idea, or come up with your own alternatives.

We don't need story toppers here...

Offline Anubis

« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2014, 11:10 AM »
Since the new season starts in about 1 hour and nothing official has been said so far I guess we can be sure nothing will be done. Would have been a good opportunity to do it before the $ gets introduced in the league.

« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2014, 04:53 PM »
true.. but MI is way too inactive, not sure if he actually aware of this idea

Offline Senator

« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2014, 11:36 AM »

There is no need to try and improve on this idea, or come up with your own alternatives.

I thought this topic was "activity has decreased, what can we do about it?", not "should we reset the league?".

Reseting the league won't bring back those who would like to participate in the playoffs (=the games which tell who is best) but don't want to play 80 games a season (or even 50-60 if the requirement was lowered). Giving half of the playoffs spots based on overall ranking might solve this and bring back players willing to play ~30 games a season, on average (see my suggestion above).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 07:20 PM by Senator »

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2014, 11:43 AM »
People who want to participate in playoffs will do it either way seeing as it's based on seasonal points and not overall.

But resetting all the standings will make more players participate overall, which will more than likely end up with more people to participate in playoffs.

Offline avirex

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2014, 11:04 PM »

I thought this topic was "activity has decreased, what can we do about it?", not "should we reset the league?".

Reseting the league won't bring back those who would like to participate in the playoffs (=the games which tell who is best) but don't want to play 80 games a season (or even 50-60 if the requirement was lowered). Giving half of the playoffs spots based on overall ranking might solve this and bring back players willing to play ~30 games a season, on average (see my suggestion above).

i dont agree, resetting the league will not only give the inactive top 10 players a reason to come back (getting the top 10 spots back) but it will give everyone else a chance to actually get those spots....

it is about 99.5% impossible to obtain a top 10 ranking, while 90% of top 10 players do not play. fact.

« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2014, 12:18 AM »
Current top 10: Almog, Crash, ZiPpO, Csongi, franz, daiNa, Bry4N, Lukz, barman and Random00.

Of these people, Almog, Crash, daiNa, Lukz and Random00 have played this month. Csongi has played games in July.

That's 50% (60% if you count Csongi) who have recently played.
100% of the numbers you mentioned are therefore pulled straight from your ass. Fact :P

I'd like to point out that if you beat Random00 now, you get so many points you almost instantly qualify for the PO (OK, you'd win, like, 80), but if you reset stats, you'd win 40. If you lose against Random00 now, you lose 2 points or something like that, but if you reset, you'd lose 40. (These are estimates with the numers I'm familiar with here, I may be off by a slight margin, but it's more about the general idea)
These numbers make sense if you've worked with rating systems before.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:26 AM by DarkOne »

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2014, 07:24 AM »
Darkone, only because you have introduced cash prizes... Seriously does NOT impress me in the slightest.

Everything I have said I feel is still correct and I stand by it 100%

« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2014, 07:25 AM »
I'd like to point out that if you beat Random00 now, you get so many points you almost instantly qualify for the PO (OK, you'd win, like, 80), but if you reset stats, you'd win 40. If you lose against Random00 now, you lose 2 points or something like that, but if you reset, you'd lose 40.
does it matter how many points i can win versus random if the last game he played in classic league was 2 years ago?
thats the point of topic, there is nothing more to achieve for him and thats why we want to reset league

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2014, 08:11 AM »
Of these people, Almog, Crash, daiNa, Lukz and Random00 have played this month. Csongi has played games in July.

I might have also played in July. What are you trying to say exactly?
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Senator

« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2014, 08:46 AM »
For DarkOne:

Only four players of the top ten have played in the classic league seasons 39 or 40. Random00 (rank 1) hasn't played since season 28 and barman's (rank 2) two latest season are 37 and 30. Bry4N, franz, Csongi and Crash all played under 10 games in their latest season.

For avirex:
Resetting the league would force top players to start from the bottom again and play on a "full-time" basis in order to keep the most active players behind. Doesn't sound that motivating to me. Imo the problem is with the ladder system as it doesn't offer much unless you play "full-time". People are supposed to play here for season wins, not for overall ranking, and qualifying for the playoffs requires high activity. Many players are in working life etc. so you can't expect them to compete with "full-time" players. That's why I would give 3-4 of the eight playoffs spots based on long term ranking (requiring less activity).

« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2014, 07:55 AM »
I stand corrected :)

Point was, people say a lot of thing without even trying to look up facts (I mistakenly included TEL). You could ask yourself the question why no one has managed to get the drop on barman's rating if he has been inactive so long. Barman also didn't have many players above him to gain rating points from.
I'm not sure if longterm rating is going to solve this problem, there wouldn't be much reason to play games. I assume you'd still include a minimum activity requirement?
Another option would be using tournament performance rating instead of resetting the seasonal rating

Offline Senator

« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2014, 05:09 PM »
I'm not sure if longterm rating is going to solve this problem, there wouldn't be much reason to play games. I assume you'd still include a minimum activity requirement?

Overall ranking would be made "last nine seasons ranking". Each player's total points would consist of current season + last eight seasons they have played games:
Player1: current season (#40) + #35, #30, #29, #28, #27, #26, #10, #7
Player2: current season (#40) + #39, #38, #37, #36, #35, #34, #33, #32

Season change: If the latest season with played games remains the same, count one season less:

Player1: current season (#41) + #35, #30, #29, #28, #27, #26, #10, #7
Player2: current season (#41) + #40, #39, #38, #37, #36, #35, #34, #33 #32

edit: 2nd season change: If a player hasn't played for two seasons, make him unranked and freeze his points (so he can come back later with points from six seasons).
Player1 didn't play any games in the season #40 so his total points would now consist of current season + last seven seasons only. This means inactive players drop down in the ranking season after season if they don't play.

There would be also minimum requirement for the season playoffs, let's say 20 games. This requirement would be just to guarantee the player is still active when the playoffs start.

I'm not sure how many games a player would have to play in practice to get a playoff spot but less than 80 games every season for sure.

Edit: A minimum activity requirement (30 games/season?) for a playoff spot might do the same trick alone and give other players opportunity to steal top players' points at the same time.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 08:31 PM by Senator »