Forums
April 29, 2024, 01:59 PM

Author Topic: Any logical reason why someone dislikes custom terrain?  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Lupastic

• Fantastic

• Hungary Hungary
    • View Profile
Re: Any logical reason why someone dislikes custom terrain?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2024, 01:17 AM »
if there were no new custom wkterrains comin out for WA, this game would have bored me to death by now probably :D (or at least certain schemes like: intermediate, team17, which requires random maps) it was an important feature to keep this game alive, if there will be a new patch, it needs to contain the top rated terrains among the old standard ones

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2024, 01:34 AM »
Sensei, you still don't understand.

1st off, EVERYBODY does "notches", the actual thing that most of us hate though is when players count out there shots using math, and also using rulers and stuff on their screens.

It's impossible NOT to notch, because everybody needs to adjust the cursor 1 increment to get the aim right.

I wonder if you even know the difference.

When I say casual, it's not an insult, you don't think about this game on that very deep level. You play mostly for fun, not for the win, this is evident by the fact you constantly whinge about other people in BnG for using a few "easy" shots which you constantly miss yourself lol.

Now, I've already explained the problem with custom terrains, which has nothing to do with these ridiculous sarcastic comments you've made.

Offline Woshee

• Banana Bomb Eater

• United States United States
  • Now with 100% less self-bullying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2024, 07:45 AM »
I ported, am working on updating reloaded terrains, and even I can't think on mastering em (tbf I don't think i'll ever play at a comp level so there's that too.). Just want em so I can play the objectively better game with newer games terrains (all that's left is for the praise lines, uh-oh, leavemealone, goaway, ouch soundbank lines to become used in-game and then I am leaving Reloaded 100%)

The only thing I dislike about custom terrains is the lack of artstyle accurate terrain themes. Besides the stuff team17 made, there's very little themes that would fit the game's art.
Ports Speechbanks, Terrains from more recent Worms games, got a Community Fix implemented in Team Fortress 2, and a Writer/Creator of Ellie Tricy and the Others!

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2024, 11:14 AM »
For me, there's a massive difference between enjoying something casually, and then actually competing at the highest level possible.

Custom terrains are just not suitable for the highest level of competitive gameplay.

There's only a few people around here with the experience to actually understand that.

Also. People who are saying the game wouldn't be fun without custom terrains are delusional.

They enjoyed the game for long enough without custom terrains and will continue to do so.

If they didn't exist you probably wouldn't even consider it, most of you.

It's further proof of how more and more people are becoming obsessed with "beauty" and "aesthetics".

Dynamic obsolescence. You're basically the byproduct of years of marketing.

Needs a new every few years not because they actually need one. Because the new colour is fancy! 🤣

For me. Primitive minds are obsessed with such things.

Would you only use cars irl if they only came in black like the old days?

I mean... For me playing on custom terrains is like allowing professional sports to customize their game.

Like expecting RLCS players to suddenly have to play on non-standard pitch sizes...

Like. Bring their own ball. Wearing full on medieval armor. Not all using the same uniform but their nightclub clothing...

Tennis being played on surfaces other than grass and clay...

Swimming in a pool of oil instead of water...

It's more the feeling of unfamiliarity that puts you off.

Custom terrains, of course all these people are good enough to actually adapt to such things..

The point is we shouldn't bloody have to because a few people can't live their life without the constant need for "SOMETHING NEW AND FRESH!".

Imagine other pro sports allowing this, it would be crazy lol.

Oh and believe me, I'd be making a bigger fuss about this if it wasn't for the fact you can literally refuse any map you want in Leagues and there's nothing they can do about it.

Don't like custom maps? Cool. You don't have to use them.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2024, 12:08 PM »
from what i understood how Dream Trance curates themes for Kaos it comes down to whether land objects can be walked over, and sometimes color pallete (Reloaded Puzzle has black borders which is bad)

Offline King-Gizzard

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2024, 01:44 PM »
This is kind of a silly thing to argue about since people can choose to use them or not use them, which is absolutely fine.  They add more variety, challenge and choice to a very old game; not a bad thing IMO.  I do think they will be used more and more in competitive games especially when custom terrains become natively supported.  Perhaps this will shift the focus away from memorising objects to learning the core game mechanics so well that they can reliably apply to any objects, and perhaps that is the true height of skill in this game.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2024, 01:55 PM »
This is kind of a silly thing to argue about since people can choose to use them or not use them, which is absolutely fine. 

Exactly! Which is why I don't see why Sensei gets so upset and makes such a big deal because 1 person doesn't like using them competitively but has absolutely no problem with other people doing it!

They add more variety, challenge and choice to a very old game; not a bad thing IMO.  I do think they will be used more and more in competitive games especially when custom terrains become natively supported.  Perhaps this will shift the focus away from memorising objects to learning the core game mechanics so well that they can reliably apply to any objects, and perhaps that is the true height of skill in this game.

Well, literally ANYTHING adds more variety, challenge and choice...

The question is, what changes are suitable for the game for casual players and what's suitable for competitive players? Also, who gets to decide lol?

What I don't like, is having things that affect core gameplay forced upon me, which fortunately isn't the case here!

Since custom terrains are optional, I don't have a problem!

If anyone ever tries to make them mandatory though, that's where I will do everything I can to fight against that.

What happens if we change the gravity by 1%? Or change the fuse of weapons by 1 star? Obviously it's not a MASSIVE change, but it IS something that players have memorized!

I see custom terrains as part of the scheme, because we have specific map styles and styles for specific schemes!

Keep in mind, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with "more variety" or "more challenge" or "more choice".

What actually IS frustrating to me though, is the same people who complain about activity are the very same people who constantly make choices that push potential competitive players away from this game!

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2024, 02:06 PM »
I don't care about custom terrains being used, I will play anything that is not tricky for me eyes. Memorizing every object shape? That's not for me and honestly, I don't think the community was even at this level of nerdiness one day, today there are a little more than a dozen of us, who cares? ..
Games evolve and update all the time, worms armageddon seems to be the only one that the players themselves fight to never have one.

Anyway. It's always the same people.. They care too much and play too little.
Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2024, 02:24 PM »
I don't care about custom terrains being used, I will play anything that is not tricky for me eyes. Memorizing every object shape? That's not for me and honestly, I don't think the community was even at this level of nerdiness one day, today there are a little more than a dozen of us, who cares? ..

Kaleu every single one of the very best players who have ever existed have THAT level of "nerdiness".

Why do you call it nerdiness anyway, that's very weird lol.

Do you consider the leading minds of history nerds and losers for considering every single possibility and defeating their opponents?

Is it nerdiness for the allies to go to such extreme lengths of obervation and absolutely crucial detail to get an edge over the axis?

What about football and all other professional sports that literally study and check the equipment that they play with to make sure that it's all legal regarding the rules of the sport.

It's not nerdiness to think about something you enjoy in every possible way, to study it inside out...

That's decidation, passion, discipline, focus, patience.

Technically speaking, that is kind of the literal meaning of a nerd haha, but I'm sure you're saying nerdiness in a depreciative way. Where I feel like it's a good thing and wish there were more people with that level of skill, creativity and passion!

It exists at the very top levels of every field of everything in the world.

For me there are a few players who ever did this in WA and it's why they were the best in their field.

If it weren't for those players, this game wouldn't be the way it is today in terms of the skill ceiling being so high and I am part of that elite group and proud of it.

Games evolve and update all the time, worms armageddon seems to be the only one that the players themselves fight to never have one.

That's not true lol, we actually agree on way more than we disagree with in this game/community.

Just so happens that 99 good things vs 1 bad thing, the 1 bad thing will stick in your memory more than the 99 good things.

Also, a lot of people don't post on things they agree with, only when they see something they really don't like.

Anyway. It's always the same people.. They care too much and play too little.

There's absolutely nobody here who plays too little lol.

Even though I haven't plated TUS Singles for pretty much a decade or something, and haven't been the most active in Clanners over the past 2-3 years, I still play this game more, if not more then at least just as much as the average player. That's including the fact that I spend most of my time spectating and streaming!

When I personally feel that TUS Singles is actually worth the investment of my time then I'll conquer that pretty easily as I do everything else that I want to achieve in my life.

Also, Kaleu, stop avoiding Sbaffo.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2024, 03:18 PM »
Today the core gameplay of WA remains the same since 1999. Since then we have been given updates that provided us with bug fixes and new features. The game now offer so many new options that if someone wishes can change the physic of the game. and make everything you think you have learned, have to learn over. Example is the ''Unrestricted Rope'' that makes the rope faster, which forces the player to learn how to use this type of rope. But nobody chooses this rope because nobody wants to learn because there is no incentive to. The common argument is ''I can get used to it, but then I will forget about the normal rope.''. Though such argument does not work with custom terrain.. It is as Gabriel pointed out, it takes great skill to jump right into something fresh and know every intricacies of it.

I am a casual player and I do not mind custom maps as longest they are pleasing to view. I always encourage more community made stuff for WA. It helps the game stay fresh.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline King-Gizzard

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2024, 03:24 PM »
The question is, what changes are suitable for the game for casual players and what's suitable for competitive players? Also, who gets to decide lol?

IMO, it's up to the casual and competitive players to decide for themselves how they want to play, by consensus.  Over time, a new element/option/scheme is either generally embraced by a community or not and anyone can choose to get involved or not.

For me, custom terrains aren't like adding a new shape to Tetris.  Custom maps and variety in terrain shapes are as old as the game itself, and everything else in my opinion (scheme options, rules etc) sits around that assuming the terrain works well for the scheme and there is consensus with the players.

You've commented before about a custom terrain on here, saying: "This map does it for me, it's time to use custom terrains for me now."  Perhaps you never meant competitively? But I honestly don't know why you wouldn't want to apply your existing skills on new terrains competitively.  You might enjoy it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 03:26 PM by King-Gizzard »

Offline Sensei

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2024, 03:59 PM »
Exactly! Which is why I don't see why Sensei gets so upset and makes such a big deal because 1 person doesn't like using them competitively but has absolutely no problem with other people doing it!

Komito Dave, please, let me know where I've got upset? And what's more important - where I mentioned you in the first post of this topic?

What's your problem man, this topic was never about you. I wanted to know how many players are against custom terrains and why. You said your opinion on twitch already, we got it. Let others speak.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2024, 04:49 PM »
Komito Dave, please, let me know where I've got upset? And what's more important - where I mentioned you in the first post of this topic?

What's your problem man, this topic was never about you. I wanted to know how many players are against custom terrains and why. You said your opinion on twitch already, we got it. Let others speak.

Ok, let's pretend there was someone else complaining about custom terrains recently then.

You can live in denial that's fine. :D

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2024, 03:59 PM »
Also, Kaleu, stop avoiding Sbaffo.

What? I never avoided anyone in this game, ever. Is this a trick to get my attention? Because it worked lol.
I guess someone is aliasing me then because nowadays I only join wormnet when there's a confirmed clanner.
Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline Lupastic

• Fantastic

• Hungary Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2024, 04:35 PM »
What? I never avoided anyone in this game, ever. Is this a trick to get my attention? Because it worked lol.
I guess someone is aliasing me then because nowadays I only join wormnet when there's a confirmed clanner.

this whole "you are avoiding XY" topic is so irrelevant, pointless argument in 2023-24 of WA that I'm starting to think the people who come up with this are lacking basic normal brain-functioning, seriously..

I don't understand why someone came up with something like this against you Kalü, as I haven't understood in the past either why Vok came up with something like "noob bashing" in 2024.. another totally meaningless topic and a non existant word since the time we don't have an active playerbase after like 2018..

https://www.tus-wa.com/leagues/game-240227/msg294317/#msg294317

like, these guys are not even playing the game itself anymore.. there isn't anyone to noobbash or avoid anymore even, you do realise that right? :D yeah in the past you had avoiders. and noob bashers too, like Rafka, which 10 out of 10 we can agree he was doing that all the time. now you should just cherish the opportunity when you find yourself some opponents.

and to the people who are not even playing: you just shut the f*ck up (about this topic at least)