Forums
April 26, 2024, 04:59 PM

Author Topic: Current status of the League  (Read 17987 times)

Offline skunk3

Re: Current status of the League
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2018, 12:13 AM »
As far as Masta goes, I'm not trying to throw any shade but meh. I don't care about offline challenges. If you're not actively on WormNET owning people in multiplayer on at least a semi-regular basis, I couldn't give a crap about any accomplishments you may have. I haven't seen Masta on WormNET in at least 2 years, except for one possible time in which I am fairly sure I played vs. him in Big RR using an alias, but it's entirely possible that I could be wrong. Masta's 'legendary' status comes from offline challenges and nothing else. (In other words, replaying the same map a hundred times until you get a perfect run.) I'm seriously not trying to sound like a hater here, I'm just speaking how I feel.
You are wrong, masta is the best overall roper in the game and has been for some time, we played plenty over the past few years when i was still active.  Pretty sure hes bored of owning the noobs that play nowadays, so offline challenges present an actual test to push his roping.  Maybe since we didn't get daina-zalo, we can have masta-skunk3 instead?

I disagree. I used to play with Masta daily before he went inactive and we were basically equal. I'd win, he'd win, I'd win... back and forth all day long. Since he's been inactive all he's done really is post up offline challenges, and as he doesn't play online anymore (at least never when I'm around) I am willing to bet that he puts more effort into the challenges than perhaps anyone. I personally can't compete in the offline challenges because after about 60 solid seconds of roping my hand(s) cramp up and it becomes very painful. Carpal Tunnel is a bitch. Also, I am not making any claim about myself here. I'm not claiming to be better than anyone in particular but what I can say with 100% honesty is that I actively play W:A and I play a shitload of Big RR and there's only a handful of people who can rival me when I am warmed up. I'd say that most of my Big RR losses in the last year or so have come from Dibz, and like 90%+ of those games are literally my first game of the day. I'm sure there's plenty of other non-active players that could give me a run for my money though. Anyway, I'm getting off point. All I'm saying is that I do not agree that Masta is the best overall roper in the game, active or inactive. There is no doubt that he's great with the rope. He's just not the g.o.a.t. IMO, but then again everyone has their own opinions.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2018, 12:17 AM »
I'm not trying to swing my willy around and claim I'm among the best at anything, because I'm not, but in my opinion Big RR is far less difficult than TTRR. In Big RR even a noob can learn to max out the rope speed, for the most part, within a year. In TTRR all except the very best players rope safely because it's faster for them to do so. I think y'all have forgotten how amazing Mablak was at TTRR. He would do crazy pump climbs and scrolls all over the place and rarely fall. TTRR has basically an infinite skill ceiling, the ideal (impossible) run resembling a TAS run. It is much harder to time speedy maneuvers on short ropes. In Big RR everyone can maintain full speed all the time without having to operate very close to the margins. Same goes for WXW. TTRR fell out of favor precisely because nobody could compete with the top players... in Big RR I haven't seen nearly that kind of skill divide.

However I haven't seen those Masta Big RR replays people keep mentioning. He's a great roper so I'm sure they are pretty impressive. Could someone link a couple?

I agree with you to a point. Big RR is less difficult IMO than TTRR but there's still a huge gap between skill levels of players. I think that Big RR has a basically infinite skill ceiling as well because there's far more variety of roping obstacles to overcome. There's big sections, tight sections, ellipses, etc. I know people who beat me in TTRR every time yet they can't beat me in Big RR. Big RR is a marathon and TTRR is a sprint. Having one good run in Big RR doesn't really mean much, but in TTRR it wins you the game.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2018, 12:19 AM »
I hear sock is challenging ppl in big rr. Komo didn't feel like raising up to the occasion. Maybe you can give him a battle, skunk3?
After all these claims.. I personally would.

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2018, 12:25 AM »
I guess bigrr is like billiards and ttrr is like snooker...

billiards is more accesible for most, while snooker requires more precise control
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2018, 12:27 AM »
oldsock I just asked if you wanted to do a couple of Big RRs and you said no unless it's a bet...

I'm quite happy to do a serious game with you and see how I stack up right now, because in my head, i'm not good right now, you claim you are, so if I can even get fairly equal with you in this state, i'm pretty confident i'll beat you when i've had practise.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2018, 12:31 AM »
I'll gladly take on anyone in Big RR any time.

Offline sock

« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2018, 12:33 AM »
oldsock I just asked if you wanted to do a couple of Big RRs and you said no unless it's a bet...

I'm quite happy to do a serious game with you and see how I stack up right now, because in my head, i'm not good right now, you claim you are, so if I can even get fairly equal with you in this state, i'm pretty confident i'll beat you when i've had practise.
Sure, let's have a game.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2018, 12:35 AM »
Let's do 2 please, I wanna do 1 normal and 1 cross handed, see if I can beat myself cross yet as well lol, i'm in a game with salty and fen right now, come AG we'll be finished in a few turns.

Offline sock

« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2018, 12:37 AM »
Let's do 2 please, I wanna do 1 normal and 1 cross handed, see if I can beat myself cross yet as well lol, i'm in a game with salty and fen right now, come AG we'll be finished in a few turns.
sounds good!

Offline sock

« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2018, 12:38 AM »

I never said unless a bet, I don't even bet anymore :)

Offline Sensei

« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2018, 12:41 AM »
what I can say with 100% honesty is that I actively play W:A and I play a shitload of Big RR and there's only a handful of people who can rival me when I am warmed up. I'd say that most of my Big RR losses in the last year or so have come from Dibz, and like 90%+ of those games are literally my first game of the day.

I'll gladly take on anyone in Big RR any time.

I'll be honest and say I never thought of you as more than a mediocre roper.
Would be fun to see how you cope with guys such as: SiD, Masta, saltyk9, TheWalrus.. There are also bunch of less known ropers around. Shtaket being one of them. Sock is not that familiar or in love with the scheme, but he seems pretty fired up for some battles.

Anyway, I think your statement of being in the tippity top of Big RR community is a bit exaggarated. But respect your decision to play anyone who challenges you. At least you're sticking with your word.

If this is gonna be next big thing, I can stream so more ppl can watch live. Gl

Offline lalo

« Reply #146 on: July 31, 2018, 01:32 AM »
My money is on OS, he is one of the best and more consistent ropers when he wants, except wxw maybe. No offense Dave xd.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #147 on: July 31, 2018, 01:35 AM »
This is the kind of stuff that is missing from W:A. People competing who is better, bonus points that it's about roping. If more people show that passion it might reignite my desire to play again. I am always lurking and following.

Offline sock

« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2018, 02:02 AM »
This is the kind of stuff that is missing from W:A. People competing who is better, bonus points that it's about roping. If more people show that passion it might reignite my desire to play again. I am always lurking and following.
I challenge you to 50 ttrrs!

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #149 on: July 31, 2018, 02:22 AM »
At least I didn't run like a certain someone :D