Forums
May 14, 2024, 09:55 PM

Author Topic: Finger Rollers - Keyboards  (Read 8845 times)

Offline kartious

Finger Rollers - Keyboards
« on: April 24, 2013, 10:05 PM »
Hello

I am trying to learn how to finger roll but my keyboard is rubbish so It would be great if you told me the keyboards you use to play WA so I can buy a one.

Any advice also is welcome.

Offline Maciej

Re: Finger Rollers - Keyboards
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 10:13 PM »
As I said lots of times, I use Logitech G15 for that ;)

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 10:20 PM »
Or you can not take the easy way and not be a noob and learn with 1 finger . . . .

P.s if your space doesn't work well, hit it HARDER
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 10:41 PM by Dub-c »
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline Anubis

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 10:30 PM »
I would just use my feet for the ultimate challenge.

Online TheWalrus

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 10:30 PM »
Or you can not take the easy way and not be a noob and learn with 1 finger . . . .
listen to dub.  do it right handed as well like a boss.

Offline van

• van-the-dral

• Poland Poland
  • RoH RoH clan

• Death to the randomness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 10:41 PM »
Maciej, do you perhaps have something that documents that you, indeed, use finger roll? Perhaps a video of some sort??

Online deejay

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 10:46 PM »
Maciej, do you perhaps have something that documents that you, indeed, use finger roll? Perhaps a video of some sort??
not sure if that was a joke but

XD

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 05:04 AM »
This is the only video I've seen of someone actually finger rolling

Anyone who 'finger rolls' using 2+ spacebars is a cheater, in my opinion. I have no respect for this fake kind of roping.

And I've heard all the justifications for it so don't bother arguing. Do what dub-c says (who is an excellent roper) and learn to rope the proper way.

Offline Husk

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 05:14 AM »

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 05:35 AM »
This is the only video I've seen of someone actually finger rolling

Anyone who 'finger rolls' using 2+ spacebars is a cheater, in my opinion. I have no respect for this fake kind of roping.

And I've heard all the justifications for it so don't bother arguing. Do what dub-c says (who is an excellent roper) and learn to rope the proper way.

I will argue, sorry Joe ;O. Key remapping should be allowed, and I imagine WA 4.0 might have this programmed into the game. It doesn't change how the game accepts inputs, and finger rolling on a sufficiently sensitive space is the same as doing it with two spaces. It's not even clear finger rolling gives you an advantage in the end, I feel that one finger might give you more control, since there are fewer moving appendages to think about (or at least, this depends on the person).

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 05:38 AM »
Hey kartious, welcome to TUS :)

If you're serious about learning finger-rolling, please be careful because you will find a few scripts in your way which will make it so easy but they are totally cheats. Learning the actual finger-rolling requires a lot of time and patience. Please read here for more info.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 06:42 AM »
The argument you just gave is exactly the one I had in mind when I said don't bother arguing. Not that my arguments are ironclad, but you won't convince me that 2 space finger rollers don't have an unfair advantage.

There are no space bars as sensitive/controllable as two separate buttons. With a single space bar, sure you can get a few fast taps, but it's 100 times harder to control than if you're using two buttons.

Part of that is because with 1 spacebar, the downstroke of one finger can prevent the spacebar from lifting from your previous space press if your timing is off. That doesn't happen with 2 buttons because the buttons aren't physically connected. This limitation also affects your timing.

The proof that 2 space "finger rolling" gives an unfair advantage is in the results. Just compare a "finger roller" with a 1 space roper - you don't have to know who is who because it's immediately obvious. Arguing about how WA accepts keyboard inputs and about ideal sensitive spaces, etc, is irrelevant. In theory maybe it works the same, but in practice two-space "finger rollers" have a huge advantage.

You said you doubted if FRing helps. Having the ability to do fast, reliable tapping definitely gives you an advantage in some situations. If you're doing a scroll close to the roof with 1 space bar, for example, you pretty much have to slow down or stop if you get too close to the roof with too much speed, because you can't trust that the spacebar will register, and you'll end up hitting your head on the roof. "Finger rollers" just spam some taps and keep scrolling. I remember watching this exact scenario with barman rr'ing with his last worm in a clanner, where his worm suddenly got really close to the ceiling during a fast scroll, but instead of slowing down he pulled a bunch of impossible taps out of his ass to save his scroll, without losing horizontal speed, with his worm practically touching the roof. That same move would be pretty much impossible, and at least far too risky to attempt, with one space bar. And it would be a lot more difficult to time properly with the above-mentioned limitation of having a single spacebar that is physically one piece. I'm not saying barman isn't a great roper, but when you watch something like that, you are forced to think "wow, he has an unfair advantage".

In the video I posted, the guy can tap pretty fast, but he still can't trust his space bar enough to scroll with a short rope. Using two spacebars eliminates that uncertainty.

On a side note, there are some remappers that will accept both inputs, even if the two spaces are pressed at the same time, and input one space right after the other. But you're not talking about those programs.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 07:05 AM by j0e »

Offline Masta

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 07:49 AM »
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 06:35 PM by Masta »

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 07:55 AM »
I can finger roll with my padded space as fast as any finger roller can with two, and I'm not even a finger roller. The only difference you could argue is that it takes more time to learn fr with one space, I really don't know.

Finger rolling rarely gives an advantage in control; saving yourself from hitting the roof is something that's only related to spacebar sensitivity. It does give you an advantage in taps, but that's about it, doesn't result in faster RR times or more controlled/efficient roping. The situation you're describing sounds too rare, you can pretty much never just spam taps and have things work out better than controlled taps would.

Many of the top RRers have used one space in any case, so I don't see that your claim of two spaces having an advantage is vindicated by the evidence. Maybe there is a slight advantage for those starting off, but at the higher levels it doesn't really make a difference.

Offline Tomi

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 08:53 AM »
Well, I am using a kinda cheap keyboard (maybe that's why I am so noob in rope), but even if I would like to use my spacebar to rope with, I couldn't because my spacebar with one of my arrow keys has keylock. So I use two keys on my keyboard with has no keylock with my arrows and they are not so important for chatting.

I think it's more easier to rope with little keys. And I think that you don't need immediately to buy a new keyboard, you can learn the basics with a cheap one too. All you need is practicing a lot and nerves :D

For example before I started fingerrolling, I was playing for 3 years continuously with 1 key (but not the spacebar), and it took me to change my style about 2-3 months.