Forums
May 02, 2024, 09:57 AM

Poll

If Worms Armageddon was made available for purchase on Steam, would you buy it?

Holy shit yeah! I've been waiting for something like this for ages and I'd buy a 4-pack for me and my friends immediately!
27 (29.7%)
Yes. The extra comfort (easy purchase, no CDs, automatic updates) and larger player base alone would make it worth it.
23 (25.3%)
Not sure. It would depend on the price, the features that would be added and a bunch of other things.
14 (15.4%)
No. The game is fine the way it is and there's no need for a rerelease. Please don't split the community.
22 (24.2%)
Hell no! I'm not giving T17 my money and I think Steam sucks. If I had to, I'd just pirate it or find another game to play.
5 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Author Topic: If WA Was Rereleased on Steam...  (Read 12589 times)

Re: If WA Was Rereleased on Steam...
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 08:13 PM »
What are the consequences and changes for current situation if this happens? KRD, U have mentioned in your 4th poll option that it would split the community.. Why is that? Does 4.0 automatically kills present WormNet and all that goes with it (TUS, other leagues..) or there's a way to have them both?

I was hoping to leave this discussion for a little later, but just to answer that one paragraph (of a nice post that I enjoyed reading): I think you pointed out the problem yourself.

One option is to try and leave WA 3.x alone and have 4.x compete with it. Separate WormNets, separate communities, separate leagues and other projects. This lets players choose which one they prefer, but it means that 4.x would never be as great as it could be and also that 3.x would lose at least a part of its player base when 4.0 was released. Results in split communities, which is never a good thing for online games.

The other option is to try and take as much good as we can from 3.x and implement it into 4.0, build things like map and replay databases into the game itself, and try to put the same people who have been running the WA community so far in charge of things there as well, to the extent that Team17 would be happy with. This second option might involve killing the 3.x WormNet off, though, but as far as I'm concerned, it probably is the healthier of the two available.

Is there an option in between? I'm not sure. If there is, I find it hard to see.

Would TUS be able to survive the second option it if meant that it suddenly wasn't the game's main provider of rankings and competition, but only a sort of website and community of friends? That's really down to the people who consider it their home, I suppose. But certainly I think the competitive aspect of WA is important enough to make it part of the game itself, something so seamlessly integrated into the experience that everyone who owns the game will know about it. That is, after all, what WA updates were originally about, bringing rankings and secure logins back.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 01:02 AM by KoreanRedDragon »

Offline darKz

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 08:34 PM »
They tried making new games, they kind of failed. The newer games weren't much of a success from what I saw. Re-releasing WA would be a gamble, I gotta admit. There's no way to tell how many sales it'll get them. We're all biased in our opinions because we love this game so it's easy to say "do it" - but in the end, what do they have to lose? The development cost wouldn't be as high as for a new game, it's easier for them to earn money if they don't invest as much, or at least they'd lose less money should the game not get as many sales as they wanted it to get.

Anyway, I'm all for it.

Yours biasedly, darKz. :P
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Abnaxus

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 09:46 PM »
I'll recall your old argument KRD: we have enough flamers, fools, etc.. on W:A. :)

If there will be a real moderation on it, then I'm ok with it, but only in this case.
Watashi wa, jinmei ni iku sa reru ka o kakunin surunoni nagai jikan o matteita.
Shikashi, tada nariyuki o mimamoru.
Jikan dake to iudarou gen'in to naru.

May the force be with you.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 10:17 PM »
id pay for it.  hell i paid for worm and worms 2:armageddon from XBL for 25$, and worms reloaded for 10 or 20$ or whatever it cost.  I could drop 10$ in an instant.  Count me in.  Petition on team17 forums, anyone?

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 08:44 AM »
Team17 have already released Worms 1, Worms Blast and Worms Pinball on steam!
Maybe W2, WA and WWP are next in line  :)

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 09:51 AM »
One thing I see about this, what about lazy competitive gamers? Would they stick with WA for long? They would try playing Leagues, and let's face it, get beat ridiculously with our level of skill/experience, would they be ok with this or will they get frustrated by this and quit playing because they think "these guys have been playing this for 5-12 years, we have NO chance..."

But then again, that's just classic schemes isn't it?

Kaos for example is kind of new, and is gaining popularity quite fast.

To be honest, worms has something for all varities of Gamers:

Tactical and strategic thinkers - Elite/T17/Intermediate etc.

Casual easy fun - Hysteria/Shopper and some of those easy/luck Worm Olympic type schemes.

For people who like physical skill, hand eye coordination etc - Roper/TTRR/WxW etc.

For accuracy type Gamers, eg, online pool, Sniping etc - BnG/Bungee Race/Battle Race etc, an example of this, in RL I love playing Pool, Golf, Darts, things that require a keen eye and patience.

If we could somehow emphasize this that worms isn't just a silly game, and theres a whole variety of Schemes to suit most Gamers needs and skills/interests we would definately pick up more players.

When someone who doesn't know what Worms is or how it operates, seeing even Mablak do his best ever run in a TTRR doesn't look impressive, until you realise and KNOW how hard it is to operate and control the Rope, the same applies to other schemes.

How can we advertise this issue? How can we show something like very nice Roping in a TTRR, or very nice BnG shots, or a very very crucial and perfectly executed turn in an Elite so that someone who doesn't know what Worms is will think, "Wow, that was awesome!"

The 1st time I seen cool Roping, I didn't know it was cool, because I hadn't used the Rope before so I didn't realise how much skill is required, if someone makes something look easy when you see it for the 1st time, like Mablak doing TTRR, or Random playing Elite, or me playing BnG, do you think this effects people's opinion if it's cool or not? It's hard to explain what I mean with this, so I hope you can understand it lol.

One thing is for sure, if this does happen and we get thousands of active players, we should all do our part and teach the "noobs" how to play good.

It's really exciting that's for sure :)

Offline HHC

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 11:37 AM »
Keep on dreaming guys. Even if WA gets released on Steam, T17 will find some brilliant way to screw it up.
I enjoyed W:R, but the servers sucked ass and the online ranking was a big joke (not to mention the bug-fest in the game itself). I'm glad WA has its own community geeks to improve the game.. rather than those nitwits at t17 headquarters.  ::)
Wormnet is nice the way it is right now. Big communities aren't all that great, it stimulates cheating, lame behaviour and aliasing. It's nice to have a community where we all know each other, it's cosy  :) And it's good that you don't have to play at least 8 hours a day to still be considered a pro.

Offline Abnaxus

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 12:11 PM »
HHC words. You said everything's needed.

Want more players ? Word of mouth.
Watashi wa, jinmei ni iku sa reru ka o kakunin surunoni nagai jikan o matteita.
Shikashi, tada nariyuki o mimamoru.
Jikan dake to iudarou gen'in to naru.

May the force be with you.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 02:21 PM »
I would pay even a 100$ for a new release of w:a. But that shouldn't count since I'm too obsessed with this game. :)

The problem I see with Team17 is that they are not following their own experience for their future games. w:r is released like some other company saw Team17's worms series and made a worms game out of their own. The physics are a cheap-copy of w:a.  (wwp in other hand was a game continuing w:a's path)

You shouldn't forget that w:a v4 is still w:a. A new release of w:a on steam is still w:a as a 12 year old game to Team17. We're talking about a "company" which needs money to survive. I'd wish the owner was a billionaire who just wants to expand this game though.

Is there an option in between? I'm not sure. If there is, I find it hard to see.

Would TUS be able to survive the second option it if meant that it suddenly wasn't the game's main provider of rankings and competition, but only a sort of website and community of friends? That's really down to the people who consider it their home, I suppose. But certainly I think the competitive aspect of WA is important enough to make it part of the game itself, something so seamlessly integrated into the experience that everyone who owns the game will know about it. That is, after all, what WA updates were originally about, bringing rankings and secure logins back.

We shouldn't even bother with option one. It will be wwp all over again. 3.x community will be abandoned, all moving to 4.x.
If 4.x is ever gonna happen (I'm still in doubt), it must be the future of w:a. The future of TUS or let's say how TUS will respond to this event mainly depends on how 4.x staff want to include TUS in the project. WN ranks, replay, map, scheme database of any kind, could be built in TUS since TUS is there already in a way. WN could fetch the ranks from TUS. Replays could get stored on TUS. When you talk about TUS go into the struggle-mode to survive, you're assuming v4 starting completely fresh, dumping all existing projects? doesn't that sound like Team17 policy?

Oh btw, there's a persian story about 2 people who find a horseshoe and fight on who gets to ride the horse first. Aren't we in the horseshoe phase yet? :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 02:38 PM by MonkeyIsland »
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 06:34 PM »
The physic engine was mostly due to Morton who doesn't work at Team17 since short before WA was relased AFAIK.

Team17 made WWP, following HHC's argumentation and it wasn't much of a success AFAIK.

What makes WA great it's its depth in its physics, it's what makes the learning curve so steep and what makes the game so complex with new schemes every year.
We, as hardcore wormers, understand this, but ultimately, the lack of such depth, ignored by most worm users, is not going to make the game sell more or less.
I didn't buy any worms game beyond WWP because I knew the physics wouldn't be complex enough to improve the WA experience, I'm sure many more people proceeded as I did, but for every one of us there's 10 more that will buy a new worm games to see sheeps explode.

So yeah, team17 won't make this like we would like unless they give DC and CS all the power or unless they start listening (albeit not to most of you lot)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:49 PM by ropa »
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 06:38 PM »
you're assuming v4 starting completely fresh, dumping all existing projects? doesn't that sound like Team17 policy?

I see no point in having features in a website that you could have in the frontend of the game itself.

What would be useful is having it in both places, so you can check your ranks/standings from a mobile device/@work
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2011, 10:48 PM »
Didn't a shitty WA re-release already come out?  WWP anyone?

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 01:19 AM »
I liked WWP lol.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2011, 06:40 AM »
I liked WWP lol.
other than all the features already included in WA, what did you like so much, specifically?  wormpot?  super rope?

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2011, 08:23 AM »
I liked WWP lol.
other than all the features already included in WA, what did you like so much, specifically?  wormpot?  super rope?

I loved the Roping on WWP, it was slightly different to WA, which made things interesting and different, also yeah, I loved the Wormpot, not keen on Super Rope though.

I just generally liked the game, the main reason I didn't stick with WWP is because you couldn't minimise during game.