Forums
April 29, 2024, 01:05 AM

Poll

Should it be legal to place markings on or near your monitor, as visual aids (in schemes like BnG)?

Yes
17 (32.1%)
No
36 (67.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Markings on your monitor- okay or not?  (Read 10027 times)

Markings on your monitor- okay or not?
« on: December 02, 2011, 07:48 AM »
If used with notching, people can gain a bit of an advantage in BnG (and other schemes) by placing markings on/under their monitors, I even did it for a little while myself, and a number of people seem to currently do this. It's especially helpful for 4 second full power shots, petrol, etc, so you can know exactly where they'll land.

This subject is iffy, but I think we shouldn't allow any kind of visual aids for the game, no matter how small or inconspicuous they might be. It's just one of those things that would look very amateur in a live setting, and to me, playing as if someone else is watching is the standard we should adhere to.

Lack of enforceablility doesn't matter much to me; unlike notching, this is at least something we could enforce in a live setting.

Offline Chelsea

Re: Markings on your monitor- okay or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 08:18 AM »
it's so f@#!ing lame.....

Offline Csongi

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 08:59 AM »
Ye,it's kinda lame  :-[

Just one question: let's say that this stuff will be forbidden,how can you know if someone actually uses it,or not ?  :)
"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work." - Robert Orben

[avirex`mm] ill rape ur mother
[avirex`mm] twice in the same night
[avirex`mm] and she will ask for a third
[avirex`mm] cuz she's a whore

kins> Don't let girls ruins ur tus games :)

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 09:49 AM »
Gj Mablak, now people who didn't know this trick will use it for sure ;D And I suggest them to don't use marks, it's lame, better scratch a screen, works 100% :D

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline cOke

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 10:13 AM »
I voted yes because purely from an enforcability point of view. There is simply no way to be sure anyone is using this technique, if it is banned it's either going to cause problems or do nothing.

What do you mean a live setting? You mean a lan game? When does this ever happen in worms?
HNN4EVA

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 11:48 AM »
All these techniques: notching, using markers, putting your finger on the screen to remember angles etc, they are all used to make shooting easier.

Q - Why would anyone want to make shooting easier?  

Because missing is boring?  To improve the chance of winning the game?

Some people gain more happiness from playing a game if they win than if they lose.  That is for sure.  I think being a bad loser is something that can affect anyone.  Even the most pleasant and noble people.  It's just that feeling of utter sadness that falls upon someone if they lose a game.  A bad loser is likely to use these techniques to save them the emotional distress of losing.

On the flip side, I think some people feel a bit dirty using nerfing techniques.  Even if they win the game they don't actually feel very good about it so they would never notch or use markers.  They'd rather lose the game than win it cheaply.

Whether markers should be legal depends a lot on the person and their own sense of pride.

It can't be denied that these techniques make shooting easier....and should this game be nerfed?  

Hmmm :<

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 12:00 PM by Cueshark »

Offline HHC

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 11:53 AM »
:< is more appropriate than ever  8)

Offline darKz

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 12:34 PM »
I know Anubis used to have markings on his monitor a couple years ago. It wasn't that big of a deal to me to be honest.. I consider it cheap tho, that's why I voted "no". As a casual notcher I'm kinda proud that I don't have to rely on markings, it's all in my head lol.
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Korydex

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 12:51 PM »
del
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 09:40 AM by Korydex »

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 01:50 PM »
Well, if BnG is a war, then blaming some1 in notching/marking is like blaming USA in using better weapons/technologies than some african country ;D The Law of the Jungle!

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline kron

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 04:19 PM »
Impossible to enforce, making creating such a rule a complete waste of time. You can say it's not okay all you want but you won't be able to stop anybody from doing it.

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 05:36 PM »
Impossible to enforce, making creating such a rule a complete waste of time. You can say it's not okay all you want but you won't be able to stop anybody from doing it.

Which is why BnG 'purists' are always going to have issues playing their favorite scheme online.  If they want a 100% clean game they are never going to get it, unless they play selected opponents who feel the same way as them.  This was part of the reason I stopped caring a lot about BnG many years ago.

I remember this one BnG game which frustrated me greatly because I felt I was beaten by totally cheap tactics which I could do nothing about from a very popular and respected player.  I knew then it was time to move on from BnG and concentrate on schemes which wouldn't frustrate me so much.

Competitive BnG is a bit tricky these days :<

Offline chakkman

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 05:38 PM »
I used to have a clan mate on wwp who used marks on his laptop's screen which he made by pressing it with his finger nail. Always seemed a bit nerdy to me and i still think so. :) Anyway, there is just no way to detect if someone uses marks on his display, so i think the discussion whether to allow it or not is quite obsolete...

Offline franz

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 06:35 PM »
waiting for the update that ruins full power shots. the power bar should go back down after hitting full power, making it difficult to shoot full power shots every time. this feature should be in bng/elite/hysteria/team17/etc.

Offline Casso

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 06:42 PM »
waiting for the update that ruins full power shots. the power bar should go back down after hitting full power, making it difficult to shoot full power shots every time. this feature should be in bng/elite/hysteria/team17/etc.

It exists with rubberworm. You have to write /alp in the chat before the game