Forums
April 27, 2024, 11:26 PM

Author Topic: Which schemes requires most skills to handle?  (Read 17068 times)

Re: Which schemes requires most skills to handle?
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2011, 12:47 AM »
What's easier in real life?

A) Throwing a ball into a target?

B) Attaching yourself to a rope and swinging yourself quickly and accurately through a tight maze?

QED

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2011, 12:51 AM »
sorry i did not know about deadcodes bng thing... but guess what? a player will still come closer the skill level of DC bng tool then one will ever compare to DC ttrr tool...

and no matter how much people try to tell you, you still think otherwise, because you have some strange love for bng...  

Ok so let me clarify what you just said, you 1st said "sorry i did not know about deadcodes bng thing", then you immediately go straight in for the fail with the classic "I just admitted I don't know what the hell I am talking about, but I still think I know best" one.

Cue, you can't compare WA with that lol.

Offline avirex

« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2011, 01:29 AM »
ok komo, i guess your right.... tossing bazookas and grenades is equally as challeging as rope race.... your absolutely right.. happy now? wanna stfu yet??

infact.. i think bng is much much harder... such a skillfull game.. ttrr is easy, any newb could do that

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2011, 02:21 AM »
ok komo, i guess your right.... tossing bazookas and grenades is equally as challeging as rope race.... your absolutely right.. happy now? wanna stfu yet??

infact.. i think bng is much much harder... such a skillfull game.. ttrr is easy, any newb could do that

Even though I have stated already I feel TTRR and BnG are 50/50 in terms of "skill" you still continue to not interpret this and instead preach in a sarcastic way that I feel BnG is more skillful, all I am saying is I have seen and used the tools for both schemes to their limit.

Like I said before avi, if the ONLY thing you care about is winning as fast as possible then yes it's possible for BnG to finish faster but how does that make it less skillful? I am talking skill as in being able to hit 100% damage 100% for eternity, something this program can achieve and something no one can achieve.

If we dig a little deeper and compare with percentages:

I probably have an overall hit ratio of like 30% out of a possible 100% and something like 1% of that 30% are full damage shots.

Mablak, I think we can all agree the fastest ever, can achieve times around 30-40% slower than the fastest time possible with DC's tool sometimes better or worse depending on the map.

Actually, puttin it like this makes BnG a bigger gap and therefore harder to achieve closer to the highest possible skill in this perspective.

Offline BaskiN

« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2011, 04:02 AM »

B) Attaching yourself to a rope and swinging yourself quickly and accurately through a tight maze?

QED

rofl
can you climb up a rope that 20th of your size within 3sec?

DONT COMPARE A GAME WITH REALLIFE; EVER

tbh, this discussion is nonsens. every scheme has its own specific difficulties, so no scheme is harder than the other. they are just diffrent.

« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2011, 08:26 AM »

QED

rofl
can you climb up a rope that 20th of your size within 3sec?

DONT COMPARE A GAME WITH REALLIFE; EVER

tbh, this discussion is nonsens. every scheme has its own specific difficulties, so no scheme is harder than the other. they are just diffrent.

Just trying to lighten the mood a little!

Offline avirex

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2011, 02:22 PM »
yes komo, when u say it like that, i have no choice but to agree.. bng is more difficult then ttrr

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2011, 02:54 PM »
If roper is a luck scheme how have people gone 50-0 in the past in leagues.

How did people go +100 in cases r lad. Probably the most competitive league the worms series has had (not the best league, most competitive).

It must have been luck. No skill involved in that at all.

I see the same people that complain about cr8s in roper hiding in the middle portion of the map when they are losing. Most lack the strategy and intricacies that roper requires. Most people don't have the speed and ability to get hard cr8s anymore. Even fewer people attempt to throw a 2s or 3s nade when they cant reach a worm. Even fewer have ever used max bounce in a roper. I could go on and on about the myth that roper is a luck scheme.

The skill level of ropers has decreased (me included). Not the skill required for roper.
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2011, 03:37 PM »
Just because a bunch of very good players manage to counter luck with skill it doesn't mean luck doesn't play a role.

If you don't like the term luck we can use the term random. Crate drops are random and therefore there is an advantage or disadvantage in every turn. Those adv/disadvantages can be countered with the proper use of hidings and strategy, but that doesn't take away the fact they do exist. They can be countered with skill and be made a non factor, but that neither means they don't exist.

Anyone whose been roping for some time can't lie and say they've never been screwed up by crates in what they consider a flawless games by themselves. It doesn't happen often, it doesn't happen often at all for good players, but it happens unlike other schemes like RR where if you lose you only have yourself to blame.

Just because I'm good enough to grab the hardest crates turn after turn doesn't mean luck isn't having an impact, as I am using more skill to achieve the same my opponent achieves, with easier crates, and whilst even if at the end I win, it still took me more effort, why did it take me more effort? Random.
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2011, 03:49 PM »
I was just replying but my laptop overheated and decided to shut down!
As a result it will overlap a fair bit with what ropa said above

I do agree that roper requires skill, and it is clear that better ropers generally have a better record which backs your point up indeed, but I stand by the fact that there is a fair chunk of luck involved.

I can't buy the 50-0 in leagues because past leagues (WL, cl2k, etc) suffered from DoN.
This meant that losses can be cancelled out by wins.

In terms of luck, it is quite normal to see one player get harder/easier crates than the other.
The player with the harder crates must play better to win. They would have to rope faster/more efficiently to attack and therefore run the greater risk to falling. Luck causes this, and it is quite a factor.

Offline avirex

« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2011, 04:08 PM »
i agree.

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2011, 04:50 PM »
Which scheme is harder to a person is the same as what defines a god for one person. They can come up with their own view and definition on their own god and what it's about and that is what's real to them. If we're talking to/about people who fullheartedly believe in this god (or scheme in this case) then that is how they see it and noone but themselves can change that.
IMO, no scheme requires more skill; they only require different skill at a particular point in a particular game. No game is exactly the same, making the skill level completely different every time a game is played which makes worms so interesting (albeit simple) to me.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2011, 04:56 PM »
that's such a communist argument
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline BaskiN

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2011, 06:06 PM »
The skill level of ropers has decreased (me included). Not the skill required for roper.

thats pretty much the point.

the skill you requier is mesured on the skill your opponents - the other players - have. and thats the reason why all schemes requier the same skill. its the same ppl playing the game.

an exception would be if a new scheme popped up so everyones a newbie at that and everyone is starting with halfway equally skills.

« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2011, 06:07 PM »
Which scheme is harder to a person is the same as what defines a god for one person. They can come up with their own view and definition on their own god and what it's about and that is what's real to them. If we're talking to/about people who fullheartedly believe in this god (or scheme in this case) then that is how they see it and noone but themselves can change that.
IMO, no scheme requires more skill; they only require different skill at a particular point in a particular game. No game is exactly the same, making the skill level completely different every time a game is played which makes worms so interesting (albeit simple) to me.

;O

Rope racing requires fast reflexes, consistent and controlled finger movements plus a great deal of composure and mental control.

BnG does not depend on fast reflexes nor does it require consistent and controlled finger movements.  Somebody who is physically handicapped could still play BnG.  I think BnG requires composure because under pressure an extra millisecond can mean the difference between a hit and a miss.

So how do you compare two vastly different schemes and decide which one takes more skill.

There is no real objective truth to this argument.

My opinion however is that TTRR requires more skill.  When I first saw a pro roper I was literally in awe at how amazing it was.  The journey to be a pro roper has been the biggest test of skill that I've ever come up against in all the games I've ever played in over 25 years of gaming.

BnG.  Yeah.  Whatever.  Great scheme definitately.  But TTRR is on another level of skill.  No one will ever master roping but as humans evolve, perhaps in 10,000+ years, who knows how good humans will be able to rope.  It's scary really.

Absolutely no contest.  TTRR requires more gaming skill than BnG.

In my opinion of course.