Forums
May 09, 2024, 09:37 PM

Author Topic: Dark Souls II interest check  (Read 8169 times)

Offline Anubis

Re: Dark Souls II interest check
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Started playing DS2 via Family sharing with my friend. Using controller and getting used to it. Having fun. Continue playing is very likely. lol!

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2014, 12:01 PM »
im getting this in a week or so for x360.  is there any co-op?   who wants to play?

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2014, 12:13 PM »
im getting this in a week or so for x360.  is there any co-op?   who wants to play?

it runs okay on okayish PCs, have you compared requeriments? I have the game for PS3 and PC  :(

Anubis, get back to me once you're into the game. That is, once you start reading into the meta and stuff ;)
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2014, 02:28 PM »
I just played a few times the starting area with the various classes, I liked the dual wielding Power Stance (with daggers lol) but when I progressed further with it, it felt kind of lacking since you can't block/parry and sometimes you're forced to block/parry when you're in a corner. Didn't fight a boss yet, I am not sure what character I wanna create so I dunno what to do yet, casting/archer seemed easiest but also most boring since it's just 1 button.

So I guess you are forced to 1hand + shield or 2hand (at least can parry)?

Gonna wait for your response ropa, I don't just "play" new games I like, so I need more info before continuing for now. I need to know whats viable at endgame and not just funny at the beginning. For example if dual wielding is only good for co-op play (where someone can "tank") then I don't wanna dual wield since I plan to solo all bosses.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 02:33 PM by Anubis »

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2014, 02:46 PM »
I think you should rather dodge than parry, especially vs bosses :) I tried to play as a mage, but didn't like it at all...

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2014, 03:16 PM »
I just played a few times the starting area with the various classes, I liked the dual wielding Power Stance (with daggers lol) but when I progressed further with it, it felt kind of lacking since you can't block/parry and sometimes you're forced to block/parry when you're in a corner. Didn't fight a boss yet, I am not sure what character I wanna create so I dunno what to do yet, casting/archer seemed easiest but also most boring since it's just 1 button.

Gonna wait for your response ropa, I don't just "play" new games I like, so I need more info before continuing for now. I need to know whats viable at endgame and not just funny at the beginning. For example if dual wielding is only good for co-op play (where someone can "tank") then I don't wanna dual wield since I plan to solo all bosses.

You don't need to mix max in this game to be succesful even though you'll end up doing so, so forget about the best playstyle because they're ALL viable. You can be anything you want to, it's all skill - go watch a speedrun.

It's best to focus on a quality build to start, that is, around 25-30 in both strength and dexterity so you can test the movesets of all weapons you find. You can respec in this game and you will find plenty of respec items in your first playthrough (3-5)

There's just too much things I suppose you don't know yet anyway? Weapon scaling and infusing, importance of armor weight, importance of adaptability, and obviously, importance of rolling, what poise is, guard breaking, staggering, i-frames.... Just stick to whatever weapon moveset you like, and remember to try it both at one hand and two hands. All weapons in this game are viable to carry you through the whole game if you have the proper stats and they're properly upgraded.

I haven't used a shield since Dark Souls 1, only for gimmick PVP builds. Rolling is your main weapon. You need to get 110 agility (a stat based off Adapatability and Attunement) in order to maximize your rolling, also keep a relative low equipment weight (<30% is optimal)

The starting class is also pointless. You can start Warrior and become a Mage and the difference from those that started Mage will be unoticeable.

MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2014, 03:49 PM »

You don't need to mix max in this game to be succesful even though you'll end up doing so, so forget about the best playstyle because they're ALL viable. You can be anything you want to, it's all skill - go watch a speedrun.

It's best to focus on a quality build to start, that is, around 25-30 in both strength and dexterity so you can test the movesets of all weapons you find. You can respec in this game and you will find plenty of respec items in your first playthrough (3-5)

There's just too much things I suppose you don't know yet anyway? Weapon scaling and infusing, importance of armor weight, importance of adaptability, and obviously, importance of rolling, what poise is, guard breaking, staggering, i-frames.... Just stick to whatever weapon moveset you like, and remember to try it both at one hand and two hands. All weapons in this game are viable to carry you through the whole game if you have the proper stats and they're properly upgraded.

I haven't used a shield since Dark Souls 1, only for gimmick PVP builds. Rolling is your main weapon. You need to get 110 agility (a stat based off Adaptability and Attunement) in order to maximize your rolling, also keep a relative low equipment weight (<30% is optimal)

The starting class is also pointless. You can start Warrior and become a Mage and the difference from those that started Mage will be unoticeable.

I know about Weapon Scaling, importance of armor weight, adaptability, guard breaking and rolling. What's infusing, poise, staggering and i-frames? I actually played the most with the "explorer" class because it already started with 12 points in Adaptability. Also while I was farming some mobs at one point they stopped spawning, is it a fixed amount, timed or something else that triggers it?

Also, whats the point in picking the beggar? He starts at level 1 and while adding up +1 stat per level he still has less stats than for example when picking a pre-defined class like the warrior. I think beggar at level 12 had only 54 combined stats while another class at level 12 had already over 60 stat points. I thought maybe beggar has more base stats but starts at level 1, but picking him makes no sense at all, or am I missing something?

Btw, I placed the silk stone in that nest at the beginning, once I got an item that allows me to invade another realm (common item afaik), the other time I got a weapon, demon hammer or something. Has 300 attack power and requires 50 strength with grade B and 12 agility I think. Is that weapon any good to farm it?

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2014, 04:22 PM »

I haven't used a shield since Dark Souls 1, only for gimmick PVP builds. Rolling is your main weapon. You need to get 110 agility (a stat based off Adaptability and Attunement) in order to maximize your rolling, also keep a relative low equipment weight (<30% is optimal)

I know about Weapon Scaling, importance of armor weight, adaptability, guard breaking and rolling. What's infusing, poise, staggering and i-frames? I actually played the most with the "explorer" class because it already started with 12 points in Adaptability. Also while I was farming some mobs at one point they stopped spawning, is it a fixed amount, timed or something else that triggers it?

Also, whats the point in picking the beggar? He starts at level 1 and while adding up +1 stat per level he still has less stats than for example when picking a pre-defined class like the warrior. I think beggar at level 12 had only 54 combined stats while another class at level 12 had already over 60 stat points. I thought maybe beggar has more base stats but starts at level 1, but picking him makes no sense at all, or am I missing something?

Btw, I placed the silk stone in that nest at the beginning, once I got an item that allows me to invade another realm (common item afaik), the other time I got a weapon, demon hammer or something. Has 300 attack power and requires 50 strength with grade B and 12 agility I think. Is that weapon any good to farm it?

I suggest you check out the wiki or reddit or similar for all this info anubis. Or play with me so I can teach you quickly ;)

Forget about starting class, the differnece is 1800 damage or 1790 damage.

The Demon hammer is a gimmick weapon and nothing stops you from using it in PVE (it's too slow and uses too much stamina to be the main weapon in PVP, you can still use it with some sort of strategy though)  It has B scaling, meaning that other apparently weaker weapons will out damage it far into the game with A or S scaling. Like the Mastodan Greatsword, fully upgraded does 300 damage but it has A scaling in strength, meaning that with 40 strenght (the hard cap, points invested after that give disminishing returns) it does aronud 450-500 damage.

Scaling is ultimately the most deciding factor in what build you make. Some weapons increase scaling as they get upgraded, the mastodan greatsword i mentioned earlier has +B sacling in str but at +8 becomes A.

Infusing is something you'll get to eventually when and if you manage to rescue a certain NPC (as most things in this game, totally optional and out of the way xD). You can infuse weapons with different things (Lighting, Dark, Fire, Mundane, Poison etc...) this has nothing to do with the weapon upgrade, you can have a +2 fire longsword or a +8 lightingt club. Infusion lower the main scaling of the weapon and give a B letter in the element it's infused meaning you can per example make any weapon Lighting giving it a B in lighting scaling meaning its damage goes higher with Faith or Intelligence.

You can build your character like you want, but for damage there's 4 main stats:  STR, DEX, INT and FAI. Different weapons scale off different stats with different rules. STR improves raw damage per swing. DEX does too but less so, it improves the damage of backstab and guardbreaks more than STR. INT and FAI obviously also scale Miracles, Spells and Pyromancy damage, as well as the buffing of weapons with said magic. So most builds you want 40 in 2 of  them to take full advantage of per example:

mastodan sword A scaling in STR, if you don't infuse it, it keeps that A scaling meaning you do optimal damage with 40 str.
because you need alternatives to be succesful in this game you can also go 40 in FAI. Allowing you the use of miracles and also allowing you to buff your weapon with lighting keeping both scaling off strength and faith. You can go STR DEX route and use double scaling weapons like the Sun sword (A/A scaling in str dex) and allowing you to use a wide variety of weapons. Go full FAI INT allowing you to use powerful HEXES (magic that needs both stats). Go INT DEX and use magic and katanas.

Basically, whatever suits your playstyle (an overused statement in gaming that it's only really true in this one)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 04:25 PM by Aerox »
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2014, 05:24 PM »
How dare you say 1800 or 1790 damage is nothing! Have you not raided hardcore in WoW? If you said that to your raid-leader he would kick you out! :D I have switched races many times in WoW for 20 bucks just to get that little extra damage from race bonus. If it doesn't matter then the game is not hard enough. :P Have the bosses no enrage timers? Could you avoid and run in circles forever if your skilled and nothing happens? That would be kind of lame tbh. xD

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2014, 05:38 PM »
Could you avoid and run in circles forever if your skilled and nothing happens? That would be kind of lame tbh. xD

This video says everything. To kill a suberb dragon you just hit his leg and run around... But I suppose WoW bosses are even more stupid, tanks tank, dds deal damage, healers heal xD

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2014, 06:48 PM »
How dare you say 1800 or 1790 damage is nothing! Have you not raided hardcore in WoW? If you said that to your raid-leader he would kick you out! :D I have switched races many times in WoW for 20 bucks just to get that little extra damage from race bonus. If it doesn't matter then the game is not hard enough. :P Have the bosses no enrage timers? Could you avoid and run in circles forever if your skilled and nothing happens? That would be kind of lame tbh. xD

There's a few gameplay enrage timers yes. You can dodge some bosses to eterntiy, yes. I doubt you can manage by running in circles, though.

The Ancient Dragon is just a NPC, and the only reason he's doing those moves all the time is because the guy doing it is positioning himself and waiting the correct amount of time. If you tried yourself without knowing all the small details you would get one shoted by his cleave, or probably just burn really.

If you apply other game concepts to this game you're doing it wrong, specially a game like WoW. Skill > stats in every single way you can imagine. I can beat you barefisted and naked at this point, doing 100 damage while you do 2.000
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2014, 06:53 PM »
I have actually favored the holy trinity system in Co-Op/MMO RPGs. Especially the more hardcore approaches where a group really shines when you do your role good. Back when playing together with a healer actually meant faster leveling because you could recklessly pull mobs after another without downtime. Now when you level a healer spec means slower leveling since all classes got some kind of self-heal.

I am kind of interested in ArchAge but it's entry point is steep, 150$ I think for early alpha access and 50$ for all beta events. I have tested Wildstar, WoW meets GW2 and have a baby, that's Wildstar. My next favorite MMO would be a Monster Hunter MMO, sucks that both Monster Hunter MMOs never get a western release. :/

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2014, 06:56 PM »

You can still be a healer or a tank in Dark Souls 2, plenty of healing spells that work with party members and there's a ring that makes you aggro (very useful for some harder bosses in NG+ where they start bringing "adds")

It's not WoW raiding though.

Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it, just keep playing, there's around 30 bosses in this game and you haven't beaten one yet?
Eat a bag full of dicks.

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2014, 07:04 PM »
I know, Ropa, this guy said it took him some time to learn the boss' moves, but IMO the equipment should be more important so you couldn't beat a damn giant dragon with bare fists xD Like in race games skill is important but with cheap tyres you won't succeed^^

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2014, 07:07 PM »
I know, Ropa, this guy said it took him some time to learn the boss' moves, but IMO the equipment should be more important so you couldn't beat a damn giant dragon with bare fists xD Like in race games skill is important but with cheap tyres you won't succeed^^

there are quite a few cheese strategies I wish didn't exist, but overall they're not a big deal

equipment is important, it's just that you can overcome it with skill. You can also get super weapons to compensate for lack of skill, anyway. There's a bit for everyone, and it's not 100% balanced like  a MMO, it doesn't need to by nature.
Eat a bag full of dicks.