Forums
May 19, 2024, 01:03 PM

Author Topic: Just got a Wii U  (Read 7778 times)

Offline The Extremist

Re: Just got a Wii U
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2016, 11:46 AM »
Oh shut the hell up dude. People do speedrunning on emulators, Mario 64, Super Mario World. On ROM hacks too. OOOOH it plays so differently I can't handle it. Stop the bullshit. If you don't want me to own you at Nintendo games that's ok, no excuses needed, I'm not going to play Unreal f@#!ing Tournament either lol.

It's not so much that they play differently, but they look, sound, and overall feel different. I'm real sensitive to this stuff. A brief glance at CEN64 footage, and aside from a known lighting bug, I can tell straight away that the colours and animations are way closer to hardware than today's most popular N64 emulators. I just don't WANT to play N64 games in a half-assed state anymore.

the games you speak of, they're all games average children can complete. You also don't play two of the most competitive genres ever because "reasons". Totally awful at WA too by the looks of it. You're an Elder's Scroll super fan for god's sake.

I've 100%ed all the 3D Zeldas, beaten 3 of the 4 mainline Bungie Halos on Legendary, put nearly 200 hours each into TES Oblivion and TES Skyrim, once drew NNNxBytor, and am now working on Dirt Rally, a pretty hardcore simulator. I wouldn't dare call myself "competitive", but "casual"? Come. On.

And what the hell is wrong with not liking certain genres? Or for that matter, liking The Elder Scrolls? You like review aggregators so much, chew on these:

http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox360/927345-the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion/index.html
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion
http://www.mobygames.com/game/xbox360/elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion

http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox360/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/index.html
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim
http://www.mobygames.com/game/xbox360/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim

(If you're wondering where Morrowind is, it came out before I got into the genre, and I find it too dated now.)

Learn some tact, fella...

P.S. Unreal Tournament's a solid FPS. What's your beef with it?

P.P.S. Set a date. I'll play you in either Intermediate, Elite, Team17, BnG, or Fly Shopper. Take your pick.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2016, 11:55 AM »
doesn't rope either, figures

Morrowind came out before you got into what genre? RPGs? How casual can you be

Emulators are good enough for speedrunning but not good enough for the guy to get owned at his favorite games. Reasons, reasons and more reasons.

MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2016, 08:00 PM »

Emulators are good enough for speedrunning but not good enough for the guy to get owned at his favorite games. Reasons, reasons and more reasons.

Roping is monotonous. I've never liked it. Still plenty of skill in normal schemes, as NNN has shown. Fly Shopper is a fun diversion, though.

Elder Scrolls Oblivion was the first RPG that really impressed me not only with its do-anything open world, but with it's PC-style graphics on console. A big step up from all those story-and-numbers over technical achievement JRPGs. Unfortunately, Morrowind is smaller and grungier, with much less voice acting than Oblivion. I crave high production values. I don't play 2D games - WAY dated, just like all those kinda-3D PS1 games.

You keep saying "reasons" like I'm making excuses. Those "reasons" are goddamn PERSONAL TASTE. You're starting to sound real prickish. You refuse to make a list of good PS1 games because "numbers on a site", you refuse to play Unreal Tournament because "lol"...I'm starting to see why you've got a reputation around here.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 06:52 AM by The Extremist »

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2016, 09:04 PM »
how old are you?
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Senator

« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2016, 09:25 PM »

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2016, 09:58 PM »
how old are you?

27. My first game was Doom II on PC, in 1995 or 1996.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2016, 11:57 PM »

I don't play 2D games - WAY dated, just like all those kinda-3D PS1 games.

I don't even... what?

Also, I just checked, N64 released approx. 2 years later in the west, that's almost as cruel as comparing a WiiU with a PS4 which was only 1 year apart. Not that Nintendo tried to impress with graphics anymore, but still. Back then the technology was still improving so fast, 2 years made a big impact in terms of graphic quality. Everyone that had a SNES had to wait 3 more years for a new Nintendo console or get a PSX which was already a 32bit system and VASTLY superior than a SNES or MegaDrive. Nintendo stuck too long with their SNES and thus lost the race just because it was too late. Again, comparing a XBONE and a PS4 is fine, they used samey technology. But a N64 vs a PS1 is a pretty far fetched duel in terms of graphic fidelity imo, they are different generation. N64 was 64 bit (obviously) and PS1 was a 32bit system. Nobody compares SNES with PS1 graphical wise because it makes no sense. So you should only compare game quality.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 12:22 AM by Anubis »

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2016, 01:03 AM »
I don't even... what?

As soon as I played stuff like Star Fox 64 and Wave Race 64, 2D was dead to me. WA is the only one I can stand thanks to the incredible customization and physics engine.

Again, I crave high production values. One of my favorite consoles is the original Xbox. Blew the PS2 away graphically, hard drive allowed for bigger worlds than the GameCube, and the games published by Microsoft had some serious budgets.

Offline Husk

« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2016, 06:31 AM »
EleGiggle

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2016, 06:53 AM »
EleGiggle

Care to share who and/or what you're laughing at?

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2016, 07:37 AM »
Thought you were going to say 15 or 16.

"I don't do 2D", "I don't do RTS", "I don't do Sony", "I don't do JRPG". You're a casual bag of prejudices, it's not even very fun arguing with you seeing as your experience in the topic is clearly limited to your own self imposed taste. At 27, it's perhaps time to broaden your horizons. I'm not saying you should do things you don't like, of course not. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't allow prejudices to lead you, specially in regards to things you haven't even given a chance but judged either way. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 07:45 AM by Aerox »
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Online Triad

« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2016, 07:52 AM »
The reasons CEN64 lags on some PC are because it's still on early state and it's cycle accurate. They're aiming to run entire N64 library. Project64 uses some hacks to make games look like its original n64 version. While it makes popular titles playable, it makes obscure titles completely broken. They'll work on lower specs after some development obviously. Of course Project 64 is still playable for me but why I shouldn't want a better emulator? Not to mention with new gfx cards released, it's cheaper to build a decent PC.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 07:54 AM by Triad »

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2016, 09:08 AM »
The reasons CEN64 lags on some PC are because it's still on early state and it's cycle accurate. They're aiming to run entire N64 library. Project64 uses some hacks to make games look like its original n64 version. While it makes popular titles playable, it makes obscure titles completely broken. They'll work on lower specs after some development obviously. Of course Project 64 is still playable for me but why I shouldn't want a better emulator? Not to mention with new gfx cards released, it's cheaper to build a decent PC.

what games are unplayable on Project64 again?
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2016, 10:36 AM »
Thought you were going to say 15 or 16.

"I don't do 2D", "I don't do RTS", "I don't do Sony", "I don't do JRPG". You're a casual bag of prejudices, it's not even very fun arguing with you seeing as your experience in the topic is clearly limited to your own self imposed taste. At 27, it's perhaps time to broaden your horizons. I'm not saying you should do things you don't like, of course not. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't allow prejudices to lead you, specially in regards to things you haven't even given a chance but judged either way.

I'm not being dismissive for shallow or unfounded reasons. I've tried almost every genre under the sun, and I know what I like and don't like.

Really like:

Nintendo games N64 onwards (esp. 3D Zelda, Pikmin, Smash, Paper Mario, Mario Kart)
3D adventure platformers (Banjo-Kazooie series, Rayman 2, Jet Set Radio Future, Okami)
The Elder Scrolls (Oblivion onwards)
Arcade racers (esp. the Project Gotham Racing, Need For Speed, and Burnout series)
Rally racers (Top Gear Rally, RalliSport Challenge 1 & 2, Dirt Rally)
Non-jingoistic FPSes (esp. GE/PD, Halo series by Bungie, Unreal Tournament series, Quake 1, Rainbow Six series)
PC simulation games (SimCity and Rollercoaster Tycoon series)
WA

Occasionally like:

Puzzle games (Myst, Robotron 64)
Arcade games (DDR, Crazy Taxi)
Party games (Mario Party, Fuzion Frenzy)
Stealth games (the original Splinter Cell trilogy)
Action-flying games (anything besides Pilotwings, basically)

Don't like:

2D games (WA and Pokémon being notable exceptions)
Low-fidelity 3D games
Standard fighters (Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter/Tekken)
JRPGs
RTSes
Sports simulation (arcadey stuff like Tony Hawk and 1080° is cool, though)
Racing simulation
Grand Theft Auto series (high production values, but with sex and violence just for the sake of sex and violence)

Also, my platform history:

Played heavily:

Nintendo 64
Original Xbox
Wii U (this includes original Wii games via backwards compatibility)

Played moderately:

Dreamcast
GameCube
Xbox 360

Played lightly:

PC
Sega Genesis
PlayStation 1
Game Boy/Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance (mostly Pokémon)
Xbox One

And although I'm nowhere near a full-on gaming encyclopedia, I've actively attained PLENTY of knowledge about other games, systems, and technologies from a multitude of magazines, forums, news sites, TV shows, and online videos over the last 20 years, and tried out numerous emulators. Unless it's some random Atari game, mid-tier PS2 game, or bottom-tier handheld game, you name it, I've probably heard about it, and possibly know a few facts about it too.

Just because you're big into competitive/hardcore/mature genres doesn't give you a monopoly on gamer cred. If your response is going to contain more snotty, demeaning, and evasive remarks, here's mine - you make me sick.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:41 AM by The Extremist »

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2016, 11:47 AM »
Just because you're big into competitive/hardcore/mature genres doesn't give you a monopoly on gamer cred. If your response is going to contain more snotty, demeaning, and evasive remarks, here's mine - you make me sick.

You have some goddamn nerve calling me narrow when you openly denigrate people who like stuff that you don't. The Nintendo and Sega fanbases as well as the entirety of the non-competitive gaming population would like a word with you. And some of the competitive population too: