Forums
May 06, 2024, 12:21 PM

Author Topic: hysteria in the classic league  (Read 11225 times)

Offline HHC

Re: hysteria in the classic league
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 11:34 AM »
  • Replace TUS Classic Hysteria with another default scheme which can actually be played competitively (aerial? inter?).
  • Launch a THL (TUS Hysteria League) for those who will always love hysteria even after reading my post. Current TRL season proves it would be active enough.

I don't think too many people like Inter, other than the guys at NNN. It was part of classic league once wasn't it?

Aerial is indeed better than hysteria, but it's not ready for classic league yet. It's too new and a lot of people are probably gonna complain about the crate-luck and random mines and shit like that. It's also pretty hard to distinguish yourself. It's not coincidence the podium of the first cup is already out of the second tourney.

And well, THL, that's pretty weird. First you wanna throw it out of classic and then promote it to TEL status?? That's kinda messed.

edit: maybe we can have a TRL Aerial some time? That way we can put the scheme to a real test and afterwards decide what needs fixing and whether or not it's qualified to serve as a league-scheme.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:43 AM by HHC »

Offline twistah

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 12:03 PM »
never heard of aerial. what's that?

hysteria is nowadays the new shopper. instead of playing very skillbased schemes, people used to play shopper. and now it's hysteria. those schemes ruin pretty much this game. no1 gets introduced into the skill schemes. or isn't even interested. on the other hand, maybe there wouldn't be as much players as there is now in #ag without those schemes. however, hysteria isn't a tus classic scheme and should be removed really. it's the dumbest scheme i ever played, lol. nor do i think shopper is a tus classic scheme. there should be wxw only, cos there's at least roping skill needed. in shopper if both players are able to press space 2 times it comes down to the crates.. which isn't really competitive

edit: and a league is meant to be competitive, isn't it? so keep it as skillbased as possible
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:06 PM by twistah »

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 12:09 PM »
which isn't really competitive

competitive is anything in which there is competition, and in TUS league there is competition. Technicalities aside, I dislike hysteria just as much, and between 2 good ropers you rarely see one of the 2 picking shopper (just like 1 of 2 defaulters wouldnt pick T17 unless they knew it would be the only thing they can hope to win :P) but I cant see them being removed from classic league tbh, countless threads have been made about hysteria and all failed heh.

Offline chakkman

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 12:12 PM »
Any TUS classic scheme: You get rewarded for controlling the game in the end. Hysteria: You get punished for your control of the game by getting telepwned. :P Plus the usual endless "I hide on the side bottom of the map and try to kill you with 1 out of 100 lucky zook hits". As Twistah says, this scheme has no place in the classic league. It almost makes me believe that it's only there because of noobs who'll never get good ropers or defaulters. Scheme is fun for funners but a no go for league play imo.

Offline twistah

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 12:14 PM »
it's just frustrating if you earn your points hard in skillbased schemes versus good players and then lose them all in shopper and hysteria again. this makes really no point

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 12:16 PM »
Why is it most of the people who don't like Hysteria are mostly players who have been playing WA longer than those who do like it?

It's fine how it is, a 50 minute game is fine, stop being pussies.

Offline GreatProfe

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 12:20 PM »
@twistah - Force the SD. I know, its boring to do darkside. But darkside is something who appears in every scheme.

@Remove Hysteria from CL - Nop. Wanna remove TTRR who allows cheats and Roper who is a luck scheme (as team17 too).

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 12:22 PM »
Hysteria is one of my favourite schemes, and possibly may become my favourite the way it is, the way things look, Hysteria is the toughest scheme to cheat at successfully.

No one dominates Hysteria, which makes it more fun for everyone.

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 12:28 PM »
You cant call the darksiding "lame" though, its done through necessity because the scheme is just plain bad, poorly thought out.

That's pretty harsh. It's hard to make schemes that are perfectly balanced out of the blue. It needs to be tried and tested. There was never a real problem when hyst was new and players weren't fully drilled into its 'tactics'.
BnG would become outdated too when enough players know how to notch and hit with nades 99.9% of the turns.

Pretty harsh? Yeh, probably a little harsh, though not without reason. Indeed, when a scheme is first created its unlikely it will be properly balanced, however hysteria had been around for a good year or so before it became a league pick, it is during this time that potential problems could have been ironed out. Evidently nobody saw any problems, or at least thought any problems insignificant enough to not bother resolving before the scheme came to TUS. I understand that the scheme "works" if you are not trying you're utmost to play as safe as possible, so it makes sense that flaws in the scheme design would not be apparent until people started to take it more seriously.

You dont call people lame in elite for not hiding somewhere where they can lose the game if hit on the next turn, so dont call them lame for doing the same in any other scheme.

The boundary is pretty vague, between lame and darksiding. A guy hiding on top in a roper when he's leading is kinda lame too.

Yeh a guy hiding on the top in roper is lame because its become more or less an unspoken code of conduct to not hide on the top of the map. People can say "hey there was never a rule about hiding on top", but you'd be a fool to deny that it is not an unspoken rule of roper that almost every player abides by. There is no unspoken rule about darksiding in hysteria like there is in roper, primarily because darksiding is a major aspect of default scheme gameplay. "Darksiding" simply means hiding... its a dirty word for a perfectly acceptable action.

I dont believe the boundary is vague at all, I dont believe there is such a thing as lame play in Hysteria when you are playing competitively and trying to win the game. Its the scheme that is lame, not the player. If a player feels he has to darkside in order to avoid being hit then the scheme needs to be changed so that more options are available to the player to avoid these stale mate situations which so frequently ruin hysteria for many players.

Scheme could be fixed still, its popular too, and it is also one of the most frequently played schemes on TUS so it does deserve to be here, however it MUST be FIXED!

Any ideas?

I would like to see rope added to hyst. Rope drops would be cool, you could also drop a weapon, then rope and pile/knock a worm at the end of your turn. Id like to see other weapons added to hyst for more dynamism, moles,  a homing missle, some strikes, why not? This is all fine, but it doesnt solve the last worm darksiding madness, which to be honest is the only real problem with hyst. I enjoy hyst games up until the last worms, then it just becomes frustrating and boring as most of us know. Aside from reducing SD induction time (which seems to be the best way of resolving the problem), adding a delayed aqua/super sheep would also help in combatting stale mate scenarios, as would delayed mole strikes. This aside, reducing the SD countdown timer so fewer turns need to be skipped in order to bring on the water rise seems to be the most logical way of "improving" the scheme without changing it too dramatically, not that a dramatic change would be a bad thing!
worm and learn

Offline DENnis

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 12:30 PM »

i wouldnt say the lamest player wins. usually the player with the better/luckiest touch on the final shot wins. 

Wow, who haked Pejas account? Because it can't be true that I agree with him, except we are talking about Lena <3

As another tip for fast games... just use a map "without" hides, then it'll be like a very fast bng game without reaiming or other anti-lame-rules. Even noobs shoud be able to end a game like that very fast.

But if u correctly compare hysteria with other classicleague schemes you will see that hysteria is one of the more skilled schemes if you use maps with hides and know how to win.

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 12:33 PM »
  • Replace TUS Classic Hysteria with another default scheme which can actually be played competitively (aerial? inter?).

Classic league is about having best of 1 games as for my taste and probably a lot of people will agree on that (Inter doesnt fall under that category), but still there are schemes with high probability for a draw (ie, t17 or even Elite). On the other hand, considering imbalanced random placements, Inter could be played as best of 1 since in schemes like Hysteria/T17 you can be f@#!ed pretty badly in first turn as well and Inter will surely serve more fun/competition, even as a single round (and it doesnt take more than 25 minutes unless its a cave). I dont know Aerial tho, i just watched some of the cup games and i like it, but theres just too much randomness as for league scheme imo (i believe it could be easily balanced to that level, it just depends if HHC wanted it). Also Aerial has that plus its very close to hysteria AND is about good jetpack control, which is awesome - we dont have any TUS Classic scheme with jetpack besides hysteria). Other schemes worth mentioning are Dabble and Fidget and Elemental (rule set doesnt help in that one), both not so popular yet serve great competition and originality.

If i was going to vote id pick Dabble or balanced Aerial.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:36 PM by lacoste »
<Ramone> we're just nicknames
<Ramone> isn't that sad..

<Johnny`> !fart
* Johnny` has farted out 0 Scoville units.
<Johnny`> Sonova

My W:A related channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HighCostage

Offline HHC

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 12:42 PM »
I would like to see rope added to hyst. Rope drops would be cool, you could also drop a weapon, then rope and pile/knock a worm at the end of your turn. Id like to see other weapons added to hyst for more dynamism, moles,  a homing missle, some strikes, why not? This is all fine, but it doesnt solve the last worm darksiding madness, which to be honest is the only real problem with hyst. I enjoy hyst games up until the last worms, then it just becomes frustrating and boring as most of us know. Aside from reducing SD induction time (which seems to be the best way of resolving the problem), adding a delayed aqua/super sheep would also help in combatting stale mate scenarios, as would delayed mole strikes. This aside, reducing the SD countdown timer so fewer turns need to be skipped in order to bring on the water rise seems to be the most logical way of "improving" the scheme without changing it too dramatically, not that a dramatic change would be a bad thing!

Hysteria with rope is impossible. You can't use it in 1 sec turns. And well, air attacks and ss.. not much chance left then.

I think Aerial can be an improved version of hyst as lacoste says. The 3 sec turn times makes it like hyst but you can do a lot more with the jetpack. Piles are still possible and useful, but since you can get a lot further with your jp you can pretty easily attack piles.

However, it's like lacoste says.. skill-players like twistah will never accept it as a league scheme in its current form. And I personally don't feel much for stripping it down to the core like we've done with all the 'Skilled' schemes in classic league. It would be less luck-based, sure, but not more fun. And that's what counts for me.

For example, if you remove the superweaps from the crates (including ss and homing), there won't be much incentive to collect them anymore. The battle for the crates is a real element of the game as it is and it surely spices things up when the game tends to dwindle down into a stalemate.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:45 PM by HHC »

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 12:50 PM »
You can use the rope in one second, the fact that you can knock a worm after dropping a weapon means it serves a greater purpose. You have time for strikes too, if you can activate lg, set fuse time and bounce settings in under a second then its obvious you can attach a rope and drop a weapon or quickly use a strike or ss.
worm and learn

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 12:56 PM »
HHC, coste and NaiL, you should compromise:

I present my idea:  Roperial: Aerial with rope and only 3-4weapons in crates to minimise outrageous luck.

Tah-daaaaah xd

Offline HHC

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 01:11 PM »
lol, you could add rope i guess, would be weird, but it's do-able.

Btw, for a sample game of Aerial:
https://www.tus-wa.com/cups/download/game-105081-2/

That was a game between me and Chelsea. It was damn epic. Long too, so you should probably 3 or 4 it, but the end is definitely worth watching.
It shows you the huge potential of the scheme. Action takes place all over the map, games are close and you need skills at all sorts of things: BnG'ing, JP'ing, darksiding/girdering, piling and good strategy. It's a more complete scheme than any of the current classic ones. Even more than Elite maybe.