Forums
April 29, 2024, 06:14 PM

Author Topic: Last clanner playoff was 4 seasons ago. Time to do something?  (Read 14322 times)

Offline Senator

Re: Last clanner playoff was 4 seasons ago. Time to do something?
« Reply #150 on: September 09, 2014, 04:34 PM »
Komito, I noticed that and I suggested about the same (Classic with 6-10 schemes). There just aren't many schemes you could select "carefully" from Free League if you want to keep Classic League competitive.

How about this..
Classic League playoffs: BnG, Elite, Roper, Team17, TTRR, WxW
Classic League season : BnG, Elite, Roper, Team17, TTRR, WxW, Hysteria, Shopper, Intermediate

TUS would provide these leagues:
Classic League
TEL (TUS Elite League)
TDL (TUS Darts League) <- The most popular scheme of Free League atm
AAL (Abnormal and Aerial League) <- Popular ground schemes and they are both tactical, aren't they?

Top clans/players make it to the playoffs anyway, with or without the less competitive schemes. The playoffs winner would be decided playing just the most competitive schemes.

As for TEL/Classic overlap, I think we should do this easy fix:
- If you play Classic and either player's pick (or 3rd pick) is Elite, that game can be reported for TEL also.
- If you play TEL, the game is reported for TEL only.

People would pick more Elite in Classic League as they could report it for TEL as well. Perhaps some TEL players would start to play Classic too as they could play both leagues at the same time. Any problem here?

« Reply #151 on: September 09, 2014, 05:19 PM »

So my suggestion is very simple. Just 2 leagues, defaults and rope schemes splitted. Maybe we got 8 default schemes and 8 rope schemes, dunno. Then we can close free league, trl and maybe also tel (dunno exactly if this a good turn). 2 Leagues only with seperate playoffs and the winners should stand in big letters at the front page of TUS. And also the money pool got splitted. Edit the winning ratio to 40% and also the minimum games for having a playoff spot, for example 30 clanners / singles. And maybe we can also think about the lenght of each season. I would prefer 3 month / season means 4 seasons a year (like spring, summer, autumn and winter). 

3 month and 30 clanners/singles, sound like much time for relax xd

Maybe we can do 3 leagues, only rope, only default and other mixed(default+rope), u play only for rope and default league, the mixed leaguea take ur games automatically from rope/default leagues. You choose if the system add you to mixed league. 3 months for each season, but intercalated, example default PO 1st, 30 days after rope PO, and 30 days after mixed league PO.

sorry but my englis isn't good xD

This is somehow what MI tried to introduce before. Sadly, people lost interest because there was too many PO/league. Though, theoretically I like this idea.
Don't be sorry for your English, we are all international  here. Moreover, I prefer a short/not perfect English post with an actual suggestion.
I am giving up, I shouldn't have posted this in first place. This thread proved me that nothing constructive can come from posting a thread here as important as the matter is. I have a potential idea that the DOS community know about and I think I'll keep it to this group for now.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:21 PM by zippeurfou »

Offline Senator

« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2014, 09:57 PM »
So my suggestion is very simple. Just 2 leagues, defaults and rope schemes splitted.

That would make it more difficult to find a match so dunno.. some players would be searching a default match and some players a rope match. In the end a roper would have to give up and play default.

I think we have a problem with the league system as well. We are now halfway through the season and some players have played 120-170 games already. How many players have time to play 240 games per season? This league system is built for active players only so semi-active players are gone. I just read some old topics and this was what the community wanted: semi-active players are not welcome. I would rather have 20 active and 50 semi-active players than 20 active players only.

Edit: The point calculation system itself seems quite ok since if you are pro, you can get ranked higher than a less skilled guy even if you play 200 games less. The only needed fix for this part may be to lower the required number of games like many have suggested.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:26 AM by Senator »

« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2014, 11:18 PM »
That could easily be solved by using league performance rating, rather than having a seasonal rating. The amount of wins or games is not important, rather the percentage of wins matters as well as the average rating of your opponent. People who are capable of making it to the playoffs but don't have too much time to play it anymore can still make it by just grinding everybody they meet to pulp. Getting the same winning percentage against stronger players gets you a higher LPR, so only playing lower rated people will eventually cost you LPR, rather than gain you LPR (in contrast to seasonal rating). Possible downside: people might settle on their LPR if they get a high one from the start - easily remedied by also requiring a certain activity threshold in the final week(s).

edit: already posted about this, but with more words here.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:22 PM by DarkOne »

Offline Senator

« Reply #154 on: September 17, 2014, 11:41 AM »
The solution is so f@#!ing easy and it has been said about 28 times!

What TUS should do are:

- removing needed winning ratio more than 50%
 - reducing  needed game number to play to qualify PO

Why are these needed?

Because no requirement was unfair towards active clans/players. We could keep it fair for active clans/players this way:

Clanner
- the minimum requirements for playoffs are 35 games and 40% winning ratio (max 8 clans)
- half of the PO spots are reserved for those clans that have played at least 70 games with 40% winning ratio

Singles
- the minimum requirements for playoffs are 40 games and 50% winning ratio (max 8 players)
- half of the PO spots are reserved for those who have played at least 80 games with 50% winning ratio

In singles season #39 we had playoffs for four players only. With above requirements it would have looked like this: (blue = 80 games requirement, red = 40 games requirement):

Berria would have made it to the playoffs even if two more players with less than 80 games had been ranked ahead of him.

-> Playoffs are guaranteed, semi-active clans/players can make it to the playoffs and the system is still quite fair towards active clans/players.

Offline darKz

« Reply #155 on: September 17, 2014, 04:58 PM »
Well yeah fada, big threads about leagues/schemes usually end up like this. Some good points and suggestions, a fairly healthy discussion, some newfag trolling, then some classic Komo posts and before you know it the thread goes in circles without anything happening in the end. Tbh I never expected it to be different this time around. :D

To MI: It appears to me that you like to avoid posting in this kind of threads but imo they're heavily relying on you to make some sort of statement. I'm pretty sure you've read this thread already but I don't get why you can't drop a short message, even if it's something like "guys I'm too busy to change anything right now, let's talk about it when I got more time". People can talk all they want, if there's nobody to make decisions it's fairly pointless.
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Almog

« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2014, 05:58 PM »
whoa, one long thread. I only read the first page, so I'd just like to comment on one thing.

Some people said it's hypocrisy that people play for money... I disagree.
I don't really know about others so I can only assume that, like in Israel, $100 aren't much of a money - at least not enough to spend time playing 80 games while in that time I could have earned $1000 by real work.

For me (and I believe most players) it's merely another goal to make the league more competitive. I mean, do people play Poker without money? There has to be a prize (apparently, more than a trophy these days) to make people play/work seriously, or proffesionally if you want.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2014, 06:02 PM »
I can understand what you are saying Almog, but as far as I am concerned, to impress your peers and gain their respect is the only motivation i'll ever need for the things I enjoy in life, even if only a handful of people really care about that activity.

People who do anything purely for money will never EVER be truly satisfied with their life.

Offline Almog

« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2014, 07:04 PM »
Yep, except that I don't really believe people (at least the majority) are playing for the money per se .

Earlier I gave the Poker example, but I accutally have a better one. When I go with friends to play snooker, the loser always pays for the match. Sure it's fun to earn money, but the loser is never upset, because his money had a value - with that sytem we're always trying to do the best moves we can, instead of just trying 'fun' or 'crazy' shots. I lost many times and had to pay, but was happy for the competition.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #159 on: September 19, 2014, 07:13 PM »
Well that doesn't really count considering you have to pay to play lol :D

I play Pokerstars almost everyday for like anything between 5 minutes to few hours, just play money.

I mean, if people are happy to play for money, fair enough, I won't make me respect them any less, but for me it makes TuS Classic much less attractive to play, a meaningful unique prize, would be MUCH more attractive.

Offline Almog

« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2014, 09:30 PM »
Ok I see our gap in understanding eachother.

You're talking about a meaningful unique TuS prize (like a trophy or something I guess - not money related).

What I'm saying is:
People will play more seriously because there is money involved, hence the league will me more competitive, which in turn will make the prize *more* meaningful than it already is.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #161 on: September 19, 2014, 09:54 PM »
That isn't how I look at it mate.

If the league becomes more active because of people playing just to win money, it still became popular for the wrong reasons and I still wouldn't want to be a part of it.

You get me?

Offline darKz

« Reply #162 on: September 28, 2014, 12:25 PM »
bump
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Korydex

« Reply #163 on: September 29, 2014, 06:20 AM »
del
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 05:07 PM by Korydex »

Offline Tomi

« Reply #164 on: September 29, 2014, 07:54 AM »
It's hard to say, but it seems like admins don't want to help us, who like clanners to make that league more active.

I was thinking a lot about leaving tus with the clanners and make a new league site fast (with DOS community) only for clanners, but I think there are not enough supporters (addicted clans and players who wanna play clanners seriously again) right now to start this project. But I can't see another solution.. and maybe people would also like the change..
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:58 AM by Tomi »