Forums
April 27, 2024, 11:14 PM

Author Topic: Old people and leagues? (reflexes and stuff)  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Garf

Old people and leagues? (reflexes and stuff)
« on: January 26, 2014, 05:54 AM »
Okay, I'm not really terribly old, but I imagine older than most here. My reflexes aren't what they were 10 years ago, and I don't think I'll ever be able to competatively rope, given what I see in league replays.

I was looking at the leagues that are played. And the problem I have with them (with partial exception of TEL) is that they're all reflex based. Especially, there's no real way to avoid heavy focus on ropes (again, except TEL) since your opponent can always pick a roper or wxw or whatnot.

Now, there is TEL, but that itself is far more focused on quick action than strategy.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the above - but I do think worms has a lot more room for strategic play that doesn't involve twitch skills with quite such a focus - is there no interest in a league focused on schemes (or perhaps a single one) where time and twitch skills aren't the most critical factor?

It could involve old Pro scheme, T17, maybe even intermediate, anchored BnG and quite a bunch of other schemes.

If there's no audience for such a community, that's fine, of course, but I do wonder if I'd be the only one interested in such a league.

Online TheWalrus

Re: Old people and leagues? (reflexes and stuff)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 09:31 AM »
Okay, I'm not really terribly old, but I imagine older than most here. My reflexes aren't what they were 10 years ago, and I don't think I'll ever be able to competatively rope, given what I see in league replays.

I was looking at the leagues that are played. And the problem I have with them (with partial exception of TEL) is that they're all reflex based. Especially, there's no real way to avoid heavy focus on ropes (again, except TEL) since your opponent can always pick a roper or wxw or whatnot.

Now, there is TEL, but that itself is far more focused on quick action than strategy.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the above - but I do think worms has a lot more room for strategic play that doesn't involve twitch skills with quite such a focus - is there no interest in a league focused on schemes (or perhaps a single one) where time and twitch skills aren't the most critical factor?

It could involve old Pro scheme, T17, maybe even intermediate, anchored BnG and quite a bunch of other schemes.

If there's no audience for such a community, that's fine, of course, but I do wonder if I'd be the only one interested in such a league.
Garf, pro died a death long ago when ranks came down.  Truth be told, it wasn't that great of a scheme anyways.  From what you describe I would say you should look into intermediate.  The NNN really love this shit, they even put on a big tourney every year:

http://www.cwtsite.com/archive/2013

You can download some game replays off that page to see what the gameplay is like at the very highest level.  Intermediate isn't really for mid level players, its just as highly evolved as elite in terms of overall strategy.  Lots of room to grow for the non high twitch players.  Good luck finding a scheme to play, Garf, I hope you stick around.

Offline HHC

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 10:59 AM »
How old are you then?  :o

Even with fairly slow roping you can still do shopper though. 30 sec to go from one side of the map to the other there, should be possible.

Other than that, intermediate has a big scene with CWT as Wally mentioned and ONL being run throughout the year. There's TEL, TRL (team17 next season ;)) & lots of cups in the schemes you mentioned. No need to get bored  ;)

Offline SPW

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 11:02 AM »
Nice post garf, we had a lot of talks about that in the past. Its a big reason why the worms community splitted in several communities. TUS is the place where people meet eachother, to talk or just to hang on.

And there are a lot people outside exactly like you. I do prefer tactical schemes too and I am to old to learn rope on a competent level. But its more than that. I woudlnt like it too if younger. Its just not my thing.

Think this is the main reason why there is ONL and EAC etc. Those schemes are king schemes, more classic than most of the rest. But unfortunnaly it didnt get enough credits to stay at TUS like classic league.

My idea for you, play TEL until you're ready to make the next step to Intermediate. Elite is like the smaller version of it. At Intermediate you have more rounds, more worms, more weaps, more utilities etc. So more variance in the game and a lot of different ways to attack and win the game.

So, you are not alone by not liking rope schemes. Coulda count more than 50 players within 10 minutes.  ;D

Have fun  :)

Offline Anubis

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 02:29 PM »
I wonder, who's the grandpa of TUS? HHC, SPW, Garf?  8)

I am 28 for the record, old but certainly not oldest.

Offline SPW

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 04:24 PM »
Not sure, but guess chakkman and me are oldest.  :P  ;D

Offline philie

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 07:02 PM »

im 1 day older than hhc  :P

Online TheWalrus

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 07:41 PM »

I am 28 for the record, old but certainly not oldest.
I am 29, I know skunk3 is like 33 or 34, but theres gotta be older oldschoolers around.  I remember a few of the GIT guys were in their late 30's/early 40's, and that was 10 years ago.  Some of them were hopping on when I was active a few years ago from time to time.

Offline Chelsea

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 07:43 PM »
NNN`Bytor and PoD`Zolo-du are really old :D Butor is more than 50 and zolo is allnost 50 xd

Offline Prankster

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 09:32 PM »
wormf00d is 69!

Offline Crazy

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 09:42 PM »
GIT-guys still play but only in password-protected games.. They like to play with themselves :P I still see RobDaZombie now and then, not sure how old he is but I think Sico must be in his 50's now, I remember he was in his 40's when I played with him years ago

Offline SPW

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 09:51 PM »
After last few posts I feel myself much younger. I'm 39.  ;D

Offline AKT

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 10:25 PM »
"opponent can always pick a roper or wxw "
i agree this issue; thats why i stay away league long time.
i dont wanna play competetive hysteria, roper, big roperace ever.

For example Tel is a good league.
my favorite scheme not elite but my favorite league in tus TEL

i wish every populer scheme has a league.
i very interseted to play mole league, inter league, plop league or something..

best wishes for every1

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 10:48 PM »
Yeah AKT, I'm happy with HAL for instance :) (mods, start season #4 plz  :'()

Offline Husk

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 11:33 PM »
akt have u gave free league a try? not many people pick bigrr there, so it's quite rope free league aswell.