Forums
May 05, 2024, 12:02 PM

Author Topic: Old people and leagues? (reflexes and stuff)  (Read 3555 times)

Offline HHC

Re: Old people and leagues? (reflexes and stuff)
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 02:00 AM »
I think that only partially works in TUS because after every season your seasonal rating resets so you really can't get THAT low. Overall doesn't matter in terms of PO so dunno if it could work. xD

It's not the season rating that determines how many points the other clan gets for winning against you, but the overall one. If your overall one is really low not many people will pick that scheme against you cause hardly any points to win. You may even have 1300 season rating or so in that scheme, as long as it's low on overall it's not interesting for opponents to pick vs you.
That's why I said being a default-only clan isnt a real disadvantage nemore. You can get into PO just as well.
Most clans tend to pick the scheme that gives the most points and is still fairly safe to win. A 60% chance of winning 54 points is in many ways more attractive than a 99% chance of winning 10pts or something like that.

Che has a pretty crappy rating on TTRR & WxW (650'ish), we only had to play 3 of each this season. About 80% of the games we play are our best schemes Elite, Hyst and T17. They are the schemes that we pick and that the other clans pick vs us as well. DT usually picks elite or t17. Only the guys that dont analyze pick TTRR vs us  ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:04 AM by HHC »

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 06:10 AM »
Generally speaking, we have 4 kinds of members, the way I see it:

• Unsatisfied people: I could reason why classic league is the best solution, but no matter how good my points are, there will be unsatisfied people. They are not looking to get convinced, they just don't feel comfortable with the current situation and that's it.
  • Bored people: They have tried stuff, tested it and after a while they get bored and lose interest.
  • Normal people: They have made their peace the way system works. They have accepted its pros and cons and do not like major changes but welcome tweaks and adjustments.
  • Happy people: They like the system, but no matter how much the other groups nag, they don't voice their opinion UNTIL we change stuff and it's too late.

I think when the number of first couple of groups increases, we need a change. Reasoning why current situation is good, won't do it. Changing system, is not an easy job given the fact that TUS has a system people are used to and that's not an easy thing to achieve. Classic league has over 35 seasons history and tweaking stuff on it, must be done with care which I haven't seen such proposal yet.

The alternative solution, considering our league system, would be to make 2 new leagues: one default league and one roping league and disable classic league for a while. We can make up threads to decide which schemes to include/exclude there (obviously normal for default) and we need proper announcements to get everyone on board. Also to note that would kill the allrounder concept Classic league defines.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:49 AM by MonkeyIsland »
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Korydex

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2014, 06:42 AM »
The alternative solution, considering our league system, would be to make 2 new leagues: one default league and one roping league and disable classic league for a while. We can make up threads to decide which schemes to include/exclude there (obviously normal for default) and we need proper announcements to get everyone on board. Also to note that would kill the allrounder concept Classic league defines.

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2014, 06:46 AM »
we have 3 kinds of members

I see 4 kinds :D

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline Anubis

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2014, 11:59 AM »
I think that only partially works in TUS because after every season your seasonal rating resets so you really can't get THAT low. Overall doesn't matter in terms of PO so dunno if it could work. xD

It's not the season rating that determines how many points the other clan gets for winning against you, but the overall one. If your overall one is really low not many people will pick that scheme against you cause hardly any points to win. You may even have 1300 season rating or so in that scheme, as long as it's low on overall it's not interesting for opponents to pick vs you.
That's why I said being a default-only clan isnt a real disadvantage nemore. You can get into PO just as well.
Most clans tend to pick the scheme that gives the most points and is still fairly safe to win. A 60% chance of winning 54 points is in many ways more attractive than a 99% chance of winning 10pts or something like that.

Che has a pretty crappy rating on TTRR & WxW (650'ish), we only had to play 3 of each this season. About 80% of the games we play are our best schemes Elite, Hyst and T17. They are the schemes that we pick and that the other clans pick vs us as well. DT usually picks elite or t17. Only the guys that dont analyze pick TTRR vs us  ;)

Oh okay, I thought seasonal was used when getting your season points and overall just for what it is, overall.

Offline HHC

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2014, 04:57 PM »
It's a mix Kai, the system compares your season rating with the other guy's overall  ;)

AFAIK we're only brainstorming here MI. I think Avi too would reconsider if his system was actually gonna be implemented.

Doesnt hurt though to do this once in a while. Allows us to vent some frustration hehe and if the support is massive it can be taken into consideration next time you tweak the league.

ATM the leagues function fine IMO. Some players get bored, but that's always the case.  :)

If you wanna change something, do it on your own initiative IMO and the way YOU like it. It tends to become a mess when everyone gets involved with totally different ideas.

But if you wanna code something MI, try to add some little functions/options here and there to increase functionality. Like fixing the p/o reports ;) Or allowing some extra options in cups (larger groups, 2 rounds of group stage (like in champions league ;), or ALL players in 1 group) and stuff like that, it'll increase the mod's options without taking anything away that people might have come to appreciate.

Offline Prankster

Offline Garf

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2014, 12:17 AM »
Wow, big response here! While it seems like there's some folks have similar thoughts, let me start off by saying that I by no means want to try to throw over what apparently works well here! Certainly not by shutting down, even temporarily, popular leagues.

It's also not that I'd dislike roping - I think it's one of the most fantastic game mechanics ever introduced by a game: Deceptively simple, yet extremely challenging to master perfectly. And I like doing it as well! I just am not even remotely good at it.

TheWalrus: Thanks for the link! Seems like there's even more active leagues and cups around, I'll certainly have a look. Watching the replays, I actually think I might put up a decent fight there.

HHC: hitting 40 this year. Also: T17 exclusive league? That sounds like my kind of thing!

Offline avirex

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2014, 12:32 AM »
I think it's one of the most fantastic game mechanics ever introduced by a game: Deceptively simple, yet extremely challenging to master perfectly.

nicely said...    +1