Forums
April 29, 2024, 06:33 PM

Author Topic: Team17 has announced Worms WMD  (Read 64062 times)

Offline Jonno_Team17

Re: Team17 has announced Worms WMD
« Reply #585 on: July 05, 2016, 01:46 PM »
Capped at 60?

It is indeed.

Is there a technical reason for it to be capped? Is the game engine based around 60 fps and can't handle more or why did you go with a cap?

The developers felt this was the best path to take. We'll look at doing a Q&A in the future so we can get the technical developer stuff answered for you.

Btw, new Developer Diary is now live:
Community Manager at Team17

Offline Ytrojan

« Reply #586 on: July 09, 2016, 11:49 PM »
Capped at 60?

It is indeed.

Is there a technical reason for it to be capped? Is the game engine based around 60 fps and can't handle more or why did you go with a cap?

The developers felt this was the best path to take. We'll look at doing a Q&A in the future so we can get the technical developer stuff answered for you.

Btw, new Developer Diary is now live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNBx6Uj4pA
OK, Team17 guy. Any reason for the Inaccuracy to WA? Like the split second explosion goof?
Imagine What a Buck Could Do!

I now declare a brand new league (and the successor to the failed Ultra League): WormsRF!

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #587 on: July 10, 2016, 12:02 AM »
Any reason for the Inaccuracy to WA?
pls, go away and take your WA remaster requests with you
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #588 on: July 11, 2016, 11:57 AM »
Capped at 60?

It is indeed.

Btw, new Developer Diary is now live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNBx6Uj4pA
OK, Team17 guy. Any reason for the Inaccuracy to WA? Like the split second explosion goof?

Worms W.M.D runs at 60fps. The 'explosion goof' you speak of is a difference of 1 frame, out of 60 in a second. It wasn't noticed until a frame by frame gif, purposefully slowed down, pointed out the 1 frame difference.

Any reason that this 1 frame transition particularly offends you?

Offline Lex

« Reply #589 on: July 11, 2016, 12:19 PM »
It was noticed that there was something off about explosions, though.  That's why it was slowed down; to show oblivious devs/testers what they missed that is noticed by the general public.  It's not about "offense".  It's one of many small aesthetic problems that add up to obviously odd-looking, unappealing animations.

It's understandable that devs and testers looking at the same gameplay for a long time will become used to its problems and become unaware of them.  That's why public testing is so helpful.

Edit: I believe a large reason why most 2D Worms games made after the 2nd-generation games have not been as successful is because of the comparatively unappealing aesthetic.  Aside from OnlineWorms and WWP Aqua, Worms games have looked worse after WWP, with their lockjaw mouths, strange backflip animations, screen-shaking explosions, and pointy outlines.  The way they roll matters.  The way they fly through the air matters.  It all adds up in presentation, and it affects impressions of customers.

Side-topic: When I was first playing WA, I wanted to draw worms.  They looked so simultaneously cute and cool.  I can't say that about the later worms.  Look at your avatar, Jonno.  Does that really look good to you, with the giant teeth and the lockjaw non-smile; mouth stretched to the bottom corners so hard it looks painful?  I think that the look for worms was ruined forever since that kind of design.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:33 PM by Lex »

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #590 on: July 11, 2016, 12:33 PM »
It was noticed that there was something off about explosions, though.  That's why it was slowed down; to show oblivious devs/testers what they missed that is noticed by the general public.  It's not about "offense".  It's one of many small aesthetic problems that add up to obviously odd-looking, unappealing animations.

It's understandable that devs and testers looking at the same gameplay for a long time will become used to its problems and become unaware of them.  That's why public testing is so helpful.

Edit: I believe a large reason why most 2D Worms games made after the 2nd-generation games have not been as successful is because of the comparatively unappealing aesthetic.  Aside from OnlineWorms and WWP Aqua, Worms games have looked worse after WWP, with their lockjaw mouths, strange backflip animations, screen-shaking explosions, and pointy outlines.  The way they roll matters.  The way they fly through the air matters.  It all adds up in presentation, and it affects impressions of customers.

We absolutely agree presentation is key and the little things are just as important as the grand ones - especially when it comes to immersion.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #591 on: July 11, 2016, 12:40 PM »

Side-topic: When I was first playing WA, I wanted to draw worms.  They looked so simultaneously cute and cool.  I can't say that about the later worms.  Look at your avatar, Jonno.  Does that really look good to you, with the giant teeth and the lockjaw non-smile; mouth stretched to the bottom corners so hard it looks painful?  I think that the look for worms was ruined forever since that kind of design.

Absolutely SPOT ON! Actually clapping my hands a bit after reading that.

Jonno - Please get the dev/testers and leaders of Team17 to read this forum and pay attention!

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #592 on: July 11, 2016, 12:53 PM »

Absolutely SPOT ON! Actually clapping my hands a bit after reading that.

Jonno - Please get the dev/testers and leaders of Team17 to read this forum and pay attention!

The Devs are aware of the goings on over here. As for testers they are normal folk, usability and a few other groups. Unless selected from this group as a tester or asked to feedback to a particular place they have every right to do what they want and be blissfully unaware of anything outside of what they are doing.

Also judging by what I've read here they would just be told they are wrong and belittled anyway so there's that...

I would have invited people from these boards to test the game, however I joined Team17 too late into the game's cycle to be able to do that and it have meaningful impact. What I will be doing is hanging about here post launch to get your feedback once you've played the game.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #593 on: July 11, 2016, 01:03 PM »
The Devs are aware of the goings on over here.

Really? I don't intend to sound offensive or anything but it sure doesn't seem like it.

Also judging by what I've read here they would just be told they are wrong and belittled anyway so there's that...

If someone is wrong, they should be told they are wrong, I for one take pride in not sugarcoating things, there is a difference to being told you are wrong with facts not opinions and appreciating their effort, and being condescending and belittling.

I would have invited people from these boards to test the game, however I joined Team17 too late into the game's cycle to be able to do that and it have meaningful impact. What I will be doing is hanging about here post launch to get your feedback once you've played the game.

That's cool mate we understand that, and sure, when the game is released we will open a feedback thread in our Gaming Central forum :)

Oh, I dunno if you like DnB or even noticed this but here is some WIP i'm doing:

https://soundcloud.com/komito-1/komito-worms-armageddon-remix-wip-preview/s-93xKm

Offline Lex

« Reply #594 on: July 11, 2016, 01:19 PM »

If someone is wrong, they should be told they are wrong, I for one take pride in not sugarcoating things, there is a difference to being told you are wrong with facts not opinions and appreciating their effort, and being condescending and belittling.

Yes.  For the record, I appreciate the effort T17 is making, especially making a whole new game engine.  No single person can be blamed if some of the art direction turned out to be unappealing, or if the current tools aren't as sophisticated or easy to use as Animo 1.7 for the NeXT was in the 1990s.  The maps I've seen in WMD look awesome so far.  Only the promotional (logo, etc.) art, animations, font, GUI, and sprites are unappealing to me.  That's not due to lack of effort.  Clearly there's been a ton of effort put in, and it shows, but it just happened to turn out unappealing (to me).  It just takes seriously rare raw talent to appeal to my particular aesthetic preference (and although I suspect mine is among the majority, I don't claim for sure that it is).  If the Worms 2 artists or Wizgate (OnlineWorms / Worms World Party Aqua) artists were still working for T17, the whole game could have looked incredibly good to me with the same amount of effort.  Their art design choices were amazing, and that may have just been a wonderful fluke.

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #595 on: July 11, 2016, 01:59 PM »

Yes.  For the record, I appreciate the effort T17 is making, especially making a whole new game engine.  No single person can be blamed if some of the art direction turned out to be unappealing, or if the current tools aren't as sophisticated or easy to use as Animo 1.7 for the NeXT was in the 1990s.  The maps I've seen in WMD look awesome so far.  Only the promotional (logo, etc.) art, animations, font, GUI, and sprites are unappealing to me.  That's not due to lack of effort.  Clearly there's been a ton of effort put in, and it shows, but it just happened to turn out unappealing (to me).  It just takes seriously rare raw talent to appeal to my particular aesthetic preference (and although I suspect mine is among the majority, I don't claim for sure that it is).  If the Worms 2 artists or Wizgate (OnlineWorms / Worms World Party Aqua) artists were still working for T17, the whole game could have looked incredibly good to me with the same amount of effort.  Their art design choices were amazing, and that may have just been a wonderful fluke.

I guess that's the joy of art, some love it, other's not so much. I'll admit the more I've played with them the more the new style of Worms have grown on me!

@Komodo

Yeah I like it, when you're ready we'd happily pop it on the Steam as like an into before we start - with full credit to you of course!

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #596 on: July 11, 2016, 07:12 PM »
I actually like the newer artwork, agreed that while it's not as aesthetically pleasing as WA I still like it, but the 3D newer games have had poor execution(imo) in the gameplay so kinda spoiled it a bit :/

But W.M.D seems promising!

Yeah I like it, when you're ready we'd happily pop it on the Steam as like an into before we start - with full credit to you of course!

I'm guessing you mean stream? And yeah that would be cool when it's finished :)

That intro is close to being finished i'll send you a downloadable version as soon as that parts done and you can use that sooner than later because my drops take much longer to produce/mix.

The artwork for that song right now, it's temporary(and private anyway), so don't think i'm gonna rip off the WA cover or anything :P

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #597 on: July 12, 2016, 07:52 AM »
I actually like the newer artwork, agreed that while it's not as aesthetically pleasing as WA I still like it, but the 3D newer games have had poor execution(imo) in the gameplay so kinda spoiled it a bit :/

But W.M.D seems promising!

I'm guessing you mean stream? And yeah that would be cool when it's finished :)

That intro is close to being finished i'll send you a downloadable version as soon as that parts done and you can use that sooner than later because my drops take much longer to produce/mix.

The artwork for that song right now, it's temporary(and private anyway), so don't think i'm gonna rip off the WA cover or anything :P

That's the one. Apologies for the grammar fails there, yesterday was a tad busy prepping for something that goes live in 10 minutes....

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #598 on: July 12, 2016, 08:55 AM »
Confirmed release date: 23rd August

And preordering it will give you bunch of game-inspired DLCs

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 08:58 AM by TheMadCharles »

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #599 on: July 12, 2016, 09:07 AM »

Question: Why did Team17 wait until the game was "locked in" to come and ask the hardcore community what was most important to them?

Online games do not survive long-term without hardcore players. This is plainly obvious. So to be blunt, unless your company is either constrained by legal agreements, desperate for innovation at the cost of depth, incompetent, or just out for a quick buck, I see no reason why they had to wait until the last minute to get in touch with such a key demographic.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 09:23 AM by The Extremist »