Forums
May 02, 2024, 06:29 AM

Author Topic: Team17 has announced Worms WMD  (Read 64191 times)

Offline Kradie

Re: Team17 has announced Worms WMD
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2016, 03:52 PM »
We shouldn't be cynical. One step at a time.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline skunk3

« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2016, 04:06 PM »
I too am skeptical about the vehicles. We will have to wait and see how that plays out. From what I can tell, the vehicles have upsides and downsides.

Upsides:
-vehicles tend to be pretty destructive
-worms are shielded from damage while in a vehicle
-some vehicles (like the helicopter) are very maneuverable

Downsides:
-vehicle weapons are pretty inaccurate
-if you are in a vehicle when it takes critical damage, it causes a huge explosion and does lots of damage
-you're limited to the vehicle weapon while in said vehicle

Out of all of the new elements of WMD, I am most skeptical about the vehicles. I really hope that the game doesn't become all about who has the vehicle, destroying the vehicle, etc. I've also seen the tank maneuvering terrain, and it looked stupid... like it could climb almost anywhere. There should be enough downsides to vehicle use that it doesn't imbalance the game in any way. We still haven't heard everything yet though, so fingers crossed. I am EAGERLY anticipating this game.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2016, 04:25 PM »
As Worms WMD is still in development, keep in mind, that everything can happen. Stuff may be added, removed or edited as the time goes, but for what it is right now, it's going in the right direction so far.

I have been in direct communication with Team17 staff for quite some time now.
Sorry about that

Going off topic there...

Sorry about that, we, the Worms Guild, have indeed the Community Manager of Team17 actively respond to us. If you don't believe us, visit our FB group.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2016, 04:42 PM »
As Worms WMD is still in development, keep in mind, that everything can happen. Stuff may be added, removed or edited as the time goes, but for what it is right now, it's going in the right direction so far.

I have been in direct communication with Team17 staff for quite some time now.
Sorry about that

Going off topic there...

Sorry about that, we, the Worms Guild, have indeed the Community Manager of Team17 actively respond to us. If you don't believe us, visit our FB group.

Danny and Jonno are very communicative indeed. Much better than that Beth girl who used to do community management for Team17. I've flooded both Danny and Jonno with questions and suggestions and they've been superb when it comes to responding and giving all of the info they can.

The most exciting part about WMD is that there's still so much more info they haven't released yet... including a f@#!ing release date. :|

I for one don't care when they release it so long as when they DO release it, it is working properly. I've been there on day one of Reloaded, Revolution, and Clan Wars. Buggy as hell and literally impossible to pay for weeks. The past launches have been abysmal. When WMD comes out I would love to see it working properly from the start because I'm getting really, really tired of paying game developers to beta test their products until they finally get shit straight.

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2016, 05:28 PM »
10. It is a possibility that they will allow players to add bot teams for online multiplayer.
"a possibility"
meh...

13. Only one player per computer/system for online matches... which I don't see as a huge issue anyway since most people who add 2 teams are lying anyway.
Putting such a restriction is... a bad idea, to say the least.
Point 1: In W:A, teams' names in lobby share their color with teams' owner's nickname, which makes this tactic quite obvious, and therefore ineffective.
Point 2: In case of 1v1ing schemes which require a high number of worms per alliance, adding more teams per player is what people usually do. Take Drown Syndrome as an example.
Maybe you could tell T17 to change their minds?

.:Edit:.
I should record and upload some BG gameplay footage sometime just so I can show you guys how cheap these newer players are.
even cheaper than these 2?
[attachment=1]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 05:35 PM by WTF-8 »
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline skunk3

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2016, 06:14 PM »
10. It is a possibility that they will allow players to add bot teams for online multiplayer.
"a possibility"
meh...

13. Only one player per computer/system for online matches... which I don't see as a huge issue anyway since most people who add 2 teams are lying anyway.
Putting such a restriction is... a bad idea, to say the least.
Point 1: In W:A, teams' names in lobby share their color with teams' owner's nickname, which makes this tactic quite obvious, and therefore ineffective.
Point 2: In case of 1v1ing schemes which require a high number of worms per alliance, adding more teams per player is what people usually do. Take Drown Syndrome as an example.
Maybe you could tell T17 to change their minds?

.:Edit:.
I should record and upload some BG gameplay footage sometime just so I can show you guys how cheap these newer players are.
even cheaper than these 2?
[attachment=1]

What the devs said about being able to add bots to online matches is that if there's enough community outreach for that option, they'd consider it. Judging by the reactions on the Steam forums, it is a highly desired feature. A lot of people want that option, myself included.

Can you not change the color of a second team hosted from the same PC? It's been so long since I've tried that I literally can't remember. :) For some reason I was thinking that you could do that.

How many schemes actually require more than 8 worms per team? (Wtf is drown syndrome? lol)

I don't see an issue with Team17 capping the number of teams per device at one for online play. Sure, I'd like to see the OPTION, but I don't really care since nobody I know IRL gives a flying f@#! about Worms.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2016, 06:22 PM »
A way to poke at people with drown syndrome.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Tomtysti

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2016, 06:23 PM »
Always funny to see people being so hopeful about new Worms games when they've f@#!ed us over so many times, and every time harder than the previous time. I'm guilty of it too. It pains me so to see such an incredible game format being shat all over.

Unfortunately they make the games with the two main ideas in their head being "lol banana bomb" and "how to make money with the smallest amount of work". They don't care about making a Worms game for hardcore wormers. They aim it for kids and casual gamers.

Of course they promise all kinds of stuff and say they will listen to the community, they've always claimed that, but every goddamn time the games are complete failures with maybe a couple of nice new ideas and features.

This time it sure seems they're moving to a better direction, but I bet it will be seriously lacking in many areas and abandoned by Team17 really soon after launch.

@skunk3:

Jonno said on the Steam forums
"Just been playing around on my a build I have access to.

You will be able to redefine F-keys to weapon lines on PC. "

I really, really doubt it will be "fully customizable", but it's a step forward in either case.

How you so sure about the crossplay feature? Danny said:

Crossplay between PC and PS4 won't be supported at launch, but it's something we can look into in the future

This to me sounds like there's about 1% chance of it happening. Crossplay would be a mess anyway, even though it would help with the community size.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2016, 06:51 PM »
Always funny to see people being so hopeful about new Worms games when they've f@#!ed us over so many times, and every time harder than the previous time. I'm guilty of it too. It pains me so to see such an incredible game format being shat all over.

Unfortunately they make the games with the two main ideas in their head being "lol banana bomb" and "how to make money with the smallest amount of work". They don't care about making a Worms game for hardcore wormers. They aim it for kids and casual gamers.

Of course they promise all kinds of stuff and say they will listen to the community, they've always claimed that, but every goddamn time the games are complete failures with maybe a couple of nice new ideas and features.

This time it sure seems they're moving to a better direction, but I bet it will be seriously lacking in many areas and abandoned by Team17 really soon after launch.

@skunk3:

Jonno said on the Steam forums
"Just been playing around on my a build I have access to.

You will be able to redefine F-keys to weapon lines on PC. "

I really, really doubt it will be "fully customizable", but it's a step forward in either case.

How you so sure about the crossplay feature? Danny said:

Crossplay between PC and PS4 won't be supported at launch, but it's something we can look into in the future

This to me sounds like there's about 1% chance of it happening. Crossplay would be a mess anyway, even though it would help with the community size.

What did you think I meant by "fully customizable?" Macros? Or the order in which pressing an fkey will bring up a weapon or utility? People have expressed a desire for fully customizable fkeys, so if it is already possible to assign weapon lines to fkeys, I doubt that making it FULLY customizable will be beyond the scope of possibility. Team17 is aware that we want these features.

As far as the crossplay goes, crossplay is scheduled to be a feature at launch for PC, Mac, (possibly Linux), and Xbox One. W.M.D. isn't scheduled to be released for PS4 until around Q4 this year... so when W.M.D. is released for every other platform, it won't be out for PS4 for several months later. I see no reason why they would make it crossplay compatible with every format EXCEPT FOR PS4. That just doesn't make any sense.

I fully understand why one would be skeptical regarding any new Worms game. However, I don't agree with you about the series getting consistently worse, nor do I think that Team17 doesn't care. W.M.D. is proof that they care and listen to the fans. Fans wanted something as close to W:A as possible, and that is what they are attempting to deliver. There's a lot of things about the newer Worms games that pisses me off, but they're not completely worthless games by any stretch of the imagination. The problem is mainly threefold:

1. The Team17 that created games like W:A and WWP is largely non-existent anymore. It's basically all new people trying to innovate with each title instead of just sticking with what works and expanding on it.
2. The games have been designed from the ground up as multi-format games, meaning they are essentially console games even if you own them for PC. This in and of itself is the primary reason why the newer games haven't been able to live up to W:A. (no global chat lobby, no text chat for consoles, little customization, etc...)
3. The community for all of the newer Worms games is extremely divided due to a lack of cross play support, so people lose interest and it becomes hard to find matches/players.

The newer games haven't been "failures." The only reason you think this way is because you are comparing them to W:A and lamenting what isn't there instead of appreciating them on their own without comparing them to previous titles.

Team17 has never expressed so much commitment to making a Worms game for the old school fans. They've never been as receptive to feedback and criticism. I truly, genuinely feel that they are trying, but W.M.D. isn't going to be perfect. While I do like the fact that we will have cross-platform play, it leaves console gamers at a huge disadvantage. Console players rarely have keyboards hooked up, so they won't be text chatting, only voice chat. This means that they aren't going to be vocal in games or in the global chat lobby. Also, if the rope truly does live up to the W:A rope (or close), there's no way in hell that they are going to keep up with someone playing w/ a keyboard.

I've had a bunch of private chats with Team17 staff about this game and they legitimately sound passionate about making this game excellent. I choose to remain optimistic. I'm going to buy the game regardless just to show my support. I know that some W:A purists are going to hate the game no matter what and nitpick it to death. What I've found about the newer Worms games is that even if I hated them at launch, I eventually grew to love them... even Worms Reloaded, which is probably the worst game of the series IMO. Even Reloaded is still a fun game. You just gotta evaluate each game on its own merits instead of hoping for a W:A clone.

I have taken the time to personally address each and every flaw of the new games vs. W:A with the devs and explained why we need this or that change/feature/option. If they do f@#! up and leave out something crucial, it definitely isn't because they weren't aware of it.

If W.M.D. turns out great, you can thank me and the other handful of people who harass Team17 daily. :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 06:53 PM by skunk3 »

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2016, 07:06 PM »
In W:A, teams' names in lobby share their color with teams' owner's nickname, which makes this tactic quite obvious, and therefore ineffective.
Can you not change the color of a second team hosted from the same PC? It's been so long since I've tried that I literally can't remember. :) For some reason I was thinking that you could do that.
wait
You talk about alliances colors/in-game team colors, while I talk about player and team name colors in lobby (host/join screens). There, take a look:
[attachment=1]
Team names have same colors as player names. Yellow Chef Team matches yellow ChefSkull, gray 6-UP matches gray Hamer, etc. If, say, Hamer would add another team (say, 2-UP), both 6-UP and 2-UP would have gray names, indicating that they belong to the same person.
(Turns out it isn't that obvious for some players over here...)

also, looks like I've managed to post that replay in the wrong topic :l

and BTW, don't we have a F-key customizator for W:A? http://worms2d.info/FkeyRearrange
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline skunk3

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2016, 07:12 PM »
I don't need a fkey customizer for W:A! I just want to be able to customize my WMD fkeys to match as closely as possible to W:A.

Offline philie

« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2016, 12:01 AM »
wmd will suck

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2016, 07:15 AM »
The post-WWP titles have been failures not because of a lack of features such as chat and cross-play (though they are missed, of course), it's because they all have terrible mechanics. Be they 2D or 3D, aiming/movement is slow and clunky, roping is like using a real rope, physics are too random and heavy, small bugs that ruin otherwise well-planned turns, and so on. They are just simply not fun to play.

WMD is easily the best thing they've done since WWP, bringing back the speed, accuracy, and damage that are at the core of the W2/WA/WWP formula. But it looks rough as heck right now. I'm seeing a lot of the bugs/unpleasant art/unpleasant mechanics that can also be found in Reloaded/Revolution/Clan Wars.

The gravity is still too high. WA is great because a small maneuver can send things flying, and a big maneuver can send them REALLY flying. Fire and hit points need to contrast against the backgrounds better. And the vehicles just move...weird. A neat concept, as were water physics in Revolution, but once again the execution is suspect.

I don't know if it's rushed development, a lack of talent, or bad engines, but even pre-Deadcode WA totally beat the pants off of any of the "new" Team17's titles in terms of technical quality...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 07:16 AM by The Extremist »

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2016, 04:36 PM »
^ No chat? Terrible mechanics? Slow aiming? What the f@#! did I just read?

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2016, 05:41 PM »
Good news everyone, I directed the Community Manager of Team17 to this thread. Expect some massive changes in the game!