Forums
April 28, 2024, 01:14 PM

Author Topic: Team17 has announced Worms WMD  (Read 63658 times)

Offline The Extremist

Re: Team17 has announced Worms WMD
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2016, 10:20 AM »
No, the shape of the map can't be edited with a slider. However the generator does have a wide variety of styles that you can narrow down with a selection tab.

How many styles? WA has 8 basic shapes - 4 island and 4 cavern.

Aside from the basic shapes, I'm hoping to see some really good randomness, as in everything from gentle valleys to craggy crevasses (a shame about no slider, but that was admittedly a much later addition to WA).

When I have those details about the importer I'll be sure to share them with you :)

Thank you. :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:21 AM by The Extremist »

Offline Kradie

« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2016, 10:32 AM »
I am quite content with the answers that we have received thus far. The Image Importer will provide the community a long fruitful replay value.

Thanks Jonno :)
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Senator

« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2016, 11:30 AM »
I've just spoke to the developers about replays and I have this information; The ability to save a replay isn't in the game

The replay feature should be high on your agenda. Without replays the game cannot be played competitively (on this site for example). All the esports games have the ability to save replays.

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2016, 12:46 PM »
All the esports games have the ability to save replays.

Nah

Replay files as with league sites have an expiration date.

With mainstream streaming and games having built in competitive systems there is absolutely no need for what we've grown accustomed in WA.

Even League of Legends used to have big replay file websites. Used to.

Indeed,

The amount of third party recording software is huge.

Twitch also records any broadcasts you make and allows you to directly export the video to YouTube.
Community Manager at Team17

Offline Senator

« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2016, 01:08 PM »
Nah

Replay files as with league sites have an expiration date.

With mainstream streaming and games having built in competitive systems there is absolutely no need for what we've grown accustomed in WA.

Even League of Legends used to have big replay file websites. Used to.

The replay files from CS:GO, StarCraft II, DotA II etc don't have any use? How can you catch cheaters without replay files or make high-definition highlight videos, for example? Not everyone has a high-end gaming PC and a 100/100 connection to record a HD video file on the computer / broadcast on Twitch while playing..

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2016, 01:33 PM »
Indeed,

The amount of third party recording software is huge.

Twitch also records any broadcasts you make and allows you to directly export the video to YouTube.

I'm afraid to say that you are way off track here. Recording third-party software records video! A video file generated by a third-party software has no value to the community. Why?

1. The file size is large.
2. Not even %1 of the gamers will ever bother with recording their game. Not to mention if their machine is suited for such task.
3. It is only a video. No processing can be done on a video file.

What is a replay file?
The game itself records user inputs such as keyboard strokes, mouse movements/clicks etc. When the replay file is opened, the game simply plays it as if user inputs are coming off the recorded replay.

Pros:
1. File sizes are small.
2. Game auto saves the replay file. The process happens in game and would be tiny. That allows us to ask anyone to provide their match replay.
3. Replay file could store what external modules the user might be using while playing. (catching cheaters)
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Online Triad

« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2016, 04:45 PM »
Replays are important part of this game. Period. I have 7000+ online replays (I delete the replays where there's only myself) and they're less than 1,5GB. Some of the replays even 2 hours long! Beside detecting cheaters, extracting schemes and maps, being able to watch every game ever played in TUS, god damn challenges that REQUIRES replays... Without a doubt replays are necessary.

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2016, 11:42 PM »
For me personally, being able to extract maps and schemes from replay files is pretty important. Without that feature, I'd have to ask the game host to put them on a file host, which could be very hard when there's a language barrier.

BTW, if you're confused about what we're talking about, Halo uses a similar system. They call it Theater, and it can be used to instantly view and share in-game replays and their corresponding custom maps and schemes.

Back in the Halo 3 days, I could open a replay, move the camera to a specific angle, take a screenshot, and display it on my stats page!

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2016, 11:43 PM »
@ Jonno

You guys should really make replays the same way DeadCode did, afaik it's not even the most difficult thing to do so it just sounds like laziness if you guys cannot implement this simple yet ridiculously efficient feature.

Also, why is ropas clone always posting negative things against WA? That guy sucks...

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2016, 11:46 PM »
it just sounds like laziness

Oh, we're off to a real great start here... -_-

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2016, 11:56 PM »
@ Jonno

You guys should really make replays the same way DeadCode did, afaik it's not even the most difficult thing to do so it just sounds like laziness if you guys cannot implement this simple yet ridiculously efficient feature.

Also, why is ropas clone always posting negative things against WA? That guy sucks...
Agreed, and who knows, I don't think anyone actually know who this guy is, hes just here to spread negativity.

Ropa is way better than this Caye guy is, don't insult ropa with that comparison.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2016, 02:10 AM »

The mechanics have been vastly different, I do admit that. Reloaded is the worst of the bunch IMO. It was hard to maneuver in that game because if you tried jumping onto a bit of terrain that was even somewhat steep, you'd just slide off. The friction was also weird too. Sometimes Worms would barely slide at all, and other times they'd slide like you lubed the terrain with oil. The rope also behaved like the inbred/retarded cousin of the rope from the previous games.

Overall though, I'd say what I've said before: It's not that the mechanics are "bad" per se, it's just that they are different. Compared to W:A they seem bad, but judged on their own, they are what they are. I am in full agreement that the most pleasing mechanics/physics of any of the games is W:A, but W:A isn't perfect by any means. Did you see that thread of weird/wtf shotgun attacks? Most of those simply should not have been able to happen, let's be honest. They are a result of learning the flaws in the mechanics of the game and exploiting them. There's a lot of W:A gameplay that is based around that.

As far as physics goes, the physics model in Rev/CW is far more realistic than that of W:A. Does this mean it's more fun? That's subjective. I like the physics of W:A and in some ways I like the newer physics of Clan Wars. In W:A, the wind has a *much* stronger effect than in the newer games, which I like because it allows for more creative shots, especially with low gravity. Conversely, I kinda prefer the way the grenades bounce/roll in Clan Wars vs. W:A because it's more realistic and just makes more sense. That's not to say I don't like the W:A model; I merely prefer certain aspects of certain Worms games.

From what I've seen of WMD footage, the gravity looks just fine. The thing that looks off is friction/sliding. Also, the animations of the worms while roping look too static. I like it in W:A when you're flying through the air and your worm is tumbling and spinning at different speeds because that really imparts a sense of momentum.

Anyway, I think that WMD has promise. I hope that Team17 knocks it out of the park.
You are turning into a fanboy Vince.  Call a spade a spade.  The physics in reloaded are shit.  Not just comparatively, they are standalone shit.  Peltzi makes a good point here.  If you want me to expound on why the phsyics in reloaded sucks, I will, but it seems pretty obvious.  WMD is already going to have better physics than any of the other shit worms games, its obvious if you watch the videos and the stream.

I've always been a fanboy of the Worms franchise.

The physics in Reloaded aren't as bad as you're making them out to be. They are definitely less desirable than that of W:A, but they're not shit. The physics model in Reloaded isn't the problem. The bigger issues are:

-sketchy jumping/maneuvering (certain angles of terrain = impossible to land on)
-the friction is way too high IMO (worms slide like crazy)
-the ninja rope is simply awful because it was designed to work for consoles
-4 teams max
-no global player lobby/chat

etc, etc, etc

The physics in Rev/CW are actually pretty sweet when it comes to grenades. The zooks are way different than W:A because the effect of the wind is far more subtle. As I said, I kinda prefer the W:A zook because of how it's more sensitive to wind speed. The way the grenades roll, bounce, and spin in the newer (2.5D) games is awesome though. It simply makes far more sense than how grenades react in W:A. Min/Max bounce would be a great option for W.M.D. though since they're going old school with it.

All of the Worms games have things about them that rock. What Team17 needs to learn to do is keep what is already great about previous Worms games (don't reinvent the wheel), and then expand upon that. I think we can all agree with that.

Jonno - I've spoken with you several times on Facebook and Steam as well, and let me tell you that this crowd here at TUS is definitely going to be the most hard-to-please, discriminating bunch of all. That's not a bad thing. The older community is who Team17 needs to primarily listen to because we have the most experience / knowledge... although for many people here, their Worms knowledge ends at WWP.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2016, 02:17 AM »
On the subject of replay files, I would love to see them as a feature, as they are absolutely necessary since it is highly likely that the built-in ranking system of W.M.D. is probably not going to be satisfactory. I don't want to have to record video in realtime in the background while I play and save huge video files. I also don't want to live stream and eat up my bandwidth if I don't have to. Plus, I just think it's really cool to pick a random replay file from years ago and watch it for sentimental reasons.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2016, 02:58 AM »
Ropa is way better than this Caye guy is, don't insult ropa with that comparison.

I just mean the way they both talk as if their monitor is in fact a mirror and they are constantly masturbating to their own reflection.

@Extremist, I don't see why you have a problem with my opinion, it's presumably an easy enough feature to add, pretty much all of us want it, it's actually a good enough reason not to play WMD if they don't add game based replays.

I said "sounds like" laziness, which implies they might have a valid reason, but I doubt it.

All the benefits replays provides as explained by MI and some others should be enough for them to implement game replays.

I honestly wouldn't purchase a game where the developers fail to realize and implement features that make the game better.

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2016, 06:56 AM »
I have some questions about the UI. Will we be able to:

View the weapon panel between turns?
Have a non-obtrusive weapon panel (not filling the screen)?
Have a fast-moving camera (one end of the map to the other with a flick of the mouse/quick hold of the analog stick)?
Have the camera not locked-off during your opponent's turn (whether AI or human)?
Have a WormNET/Unreal Tournament-style server browser (whether in addition to or instead of matchmaking)?
Toggle name/health icons on/off during gameplay?

BTW, I don't get the point of dumbing-down for console. The gameplay/UI in the Nintendo 64 version of WA was pretty much identical to PC (you couldn't do super crazy roping, but since you couldn't import maps, it didn't really matter), and it got good reviews:

http://www.gamerankings.com/n64/199339-worms-armageddon/articles.html
http://www.mobygames.com/game/n64/worms-armageddon/mobyrank

Also, aside from knowing that the ninja rope and map importer are well liked, how familiar is the dev team with WA? Are they any good at it?