Forums
May 02, 2024, 04:41 PM

Author Topic: Team17 has announced Worms WMD  (Read 64281 times)

Offline Tomtysti

Re: Team17 has announced Worms WMD
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2016, 08:00 AM »

As far as the crossplay goes, crossplay is scheduled to be a feature at launch for PC, Mac, (possibly Linux), and Xbox One. W.M.D. isn't scheduled to be released for PS4 until around Q4 this year... so when W.M.D. is released for every other platform, it won't be out for PS4 for several months later. I see no reason why they would make it crossplay compatible with every format EXCEPT FOR PS4. That just doesn't make any sense.

Well if this is true, I'm positively surprised!

If W.M.D. turns out great, you can thank me and the other handful of people who harass Team17 daily. :)

I really appreciate your persistent harassing and constructive suggestions on the Steam forums! I wish more of the WA wormers were as vocal as you in there  8)

I really really don't enjoy the new titles and believe me, I've tried. I was as hopeful as you when they announced Revolution and that Andy Davidson was returning, there was a lot of similar talk how they were returning back to their roots. And what did we get, another console-port in early-alpha state without proper customization or depth in gameplay, which they abandoned soon after release. Then not even a year later, they ask money for Clan Wars, basically the exact same game as Revolution.

I do see they're going in the right direction this time with WMD, no doubt, and I hope the game will be better than I expect. My point in my previous message was that we really shouldn't bee expecting to see an actual WA killer coming any time soon from Team17, or anything even near that, unless we want to be horribly disappointed time after time after time.

Serious props for Jonno and Danny for actively trying to answer the questions! :)

OFF-TOPIC: I still really think that with the right marketing and resources, if someone made an improved, more user friendly game with WA-like skillbased gameplay, with modern graphics and some new rad and cute art style (worms as characters are really too silly for people to realize that the gameplay is more than just silliness) and actual skillbased ranking system and tons of schemes with rules integrated, like rope race modes and real time modes etc, it could be a huge success.

WA-style roping alone is something that could blow up if implemented and marketed properly, it really is the best kept secret of gaming. To get the attention it deserves, actual roping should be visually something really flashy and cute, because Worms-roping looks pretty damn boring in the eyes of gamers that haven't tried it or don't understand the art of it yet.

Yeah, I'm probably tripping. People nowadays just want FPS's and MOBAs, so any 2D multiplayer games are a really hard sell, no matter how incredibly well done they would be :(

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:04 AM by Tomtysti »

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2016, 09:19 AM »
I have some questions about the UI. Will we be able to:

View the weapon panel between turns?

Yes you can :)

Have a non-obtrusive weapon panel (not filling the screen)?

It sits comfortably to the right, much like Worms 2, Armageddon etc.

Have a fast-moving camera (one end of the map to the other with a flick of the mouse/quick hold of the analog stick)?

The PC build I've been playing uses a controller whilst the team tweak the PC controls so they feel just right. However even on a controller using the zoom feature alongside panning means I could get across even our biggest maps quickly.

Have the camera not locked-off during your opponent's turn (whether AI or human)?

You can meander around the map as you please, no matter whose turn it is.

Have a WormNET/Unreal Tournament-style server browser (whether in addition to or instead of matchmaking)?

Matchmaking & Server browser are both present in W.M.D online multiplayer.

Toggle name/health icons on/off during gameplay?

Player name, worm name and icons are able to be toggled on/off on the fly in-game.

BTW, I don't get the point of dumbing-down for console. The gameplay/UI in the Nintendo 64 version of WA was pretty much identical to PC (you couldn't do super crazy roping, but since you couldn't import maps, it didn't really matter), and it got good reviews:

http://www.gamerankings.com/n64/199339-worms-armageddon/articles.html
http://www.mobygames.com/game/n64/worms-armageddon/mobyrank

There won't be any 'dumbing down' of the builds. You're getting PC level Worms action that's translated over to console/controller play.

Also, aside from knowing that the ninja rope and map importer are well liked, how familiar is the dev team with WA? Are they any good at it?

The two devs I've faced are not only Team17 veterans who understand Armageddon but beastly at the game too...especially Karl.

Just so everyone is aware our development team are a small, but kick-ass group who are working at full steam. Danny has been discussing the replay feature with the devs. At this time it's important that the resources we have are used to make the actual core game and it's multiplayer the best it can be, I mean if it doesn't stick together why would you want to record it?

Post release when our hard working dev team have some space to breathe we can look at other features that could benefit the Worms community. 

Community Manager at Team17

Online TheWalrus

« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2016, 09:30 AM »
@ Jonno

You guys should really make replays the same way DeadCode did, afaik it's not even the most difficult thing to do so it just sounds like laziness if you guys cannot implement this simple yet ridiculously efficient feature.

Also, why is ropas clone always posting negative things against WA? That guy sucks...
Agreed, and who knows, I don't think anyone actually know who this guy is, hes just here to spread negativity.

Ropa is way better than this Caye guy is, don't insult ropa with that comparison.

What negativity? I'm only sharing facts. Can you quote me on my negativitvity?

I dont know this komo guy, I do remember TheKomodo thoug, some Erod's friend that got banned from WL for constant and annoying retardation. I do remember you Walrus, I think we lived in the same state for a while and I recall you were the wise one. Has circlejerking with simploids taken a toll on you? its only natural bro.
i f@#!ed my hand one too many times, buddy

Offline Senator

« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2016, 11:02 AM »
What kind of schemes will WMD have ready to play? Are you planning to include any of the popular Worms Armageddon custom schemes (such as "Shopper")?

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2016, 11:06 AM »
What kind of schemes will WMD have ready to play? Are you planning to include any of the popular Worms Armageddon custom schemes (such as "Shopper")?

The current schemes:

England
China
Russia
Mexico
USA
Jungle

These are all hand drawn from scratch, including the various buildings and aesthetics that can spawn.

You can view some of them here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/327030/screenshots/

Offline Senator

« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2016, 11:11 AM »

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2016, 11:24 AM »
Some pretty good answers so far. :)

Y'know, it's a good thing there's a zoom feature, because there's some really nice detail in the artwork. In fact, pretty much the only things I'm not liking about the graphics right now are the fire and explosions - they don't stand out enough.

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2016, 11:26 AM »
By "scheme" I meant game modes such as "Beginner", see http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/280722191119082913/A817FC9F4BA3934DA712FE088AC28D718FC457B9/

Oh, my bad.

As I can't be sure the ones I've been using are final I don't want to list them off in case they change prior to launch.

On my build there are six, I can give you that :)

« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2016, 12:19 PM »
@Jonno
thanks for registering here. As far as I can tell you are the first post wa dev from T17 that take the time to go to the main worms community and answer question. Just for that, I'd say good job, it means you guys have the right idea.
The fact that this game is dev buy a small group must be a huge challenge!
I know it's too late to rethink the physic of the game but what I can say from my understanding of WA that made the game so famous is the combo of speed, accuracy and strategy.
Take the ninja rope for example. What does the WA ninja rope has that beside wwp no other game has?
You can go so fast with it that other people are like wow looking at their screen and even if you are the one playing it can go too fast for you! Which mean you actually need an extreme focus when you use it. If you combine this with the fact that the ninja rope need to use 5 keys (arrows + space) and that it is extremely responsive (people buy wired keyboard just for roping!). My point here is that I can't recall any other worms game that had a ninja rope that was answering these need. Finally, you have to pace your speed according to the time left which goes into the strategy side. Scheme such as elite/team17/pro/intermediate need lot of strategy. Not mentioning that this community is crazy about "removing" the luck factor. That's how competitive WA is actually. This mean that even if WA is extremely accurate in many way, the community actually is not using all weapon in the league context (I don't think I ever seen armagueddon in a league game and I am quite sure a bunch of other weap are barely never used because they just have too random outcome).
I could go on and on about how shooting with a zook with low gravity allow you to have angle that you could not have without low gravity while being really pixel wise. How people use rulers on their screen so they can have the best shot when they use nade. How people basically learnt all possible nade shot on a map and know pixel wise exactly the angle and the power to give by heart.
WA is far from perfect but it has these features that allow competitive gaming while having fun.

My point here is not for the initial release. If you are in a startup set up, we all know you just need to get it out.
However, if you plan to have update. I'd recommend you to keep this in mind as introducing new weapon that are luck based won't be really appreciated even if the idea behind the weapon is really cool. Or if you plan to edit the physics of the game don't make it less accurate or with randomness in it.

I wonder how often you are going to come here and post. If you plan to be active and responsive to the community (who knows). You might consider asking MI for a sub forum.

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2016, 01:59 PM »
Are the team aware of this video?

any chance we can get an opinion/impression?

Hey,

I've posted a response directly on the video.

Basically the worms, weapons and physics aren't a correct reflection of what I'm seeing in current builds nor the finished product.

Worms sticking, grenades sliding - none of that is in the Worms W.M.D of today.

Online TheWalrus

« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2016, 02:39 PM »
Are the team aware of this video?

any chance we can get an opinion/impression?

Hey,

I've posted a response directly on the video.

Basically the worms, weapons and physics aren't a correct reflection of what I'm seeing in current builds nor the finished product.

Worms sticking, grenades sliding - none of that is in the Worms W.M.D of today.
ITS HAPPENING

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 02:41 PM by TheWalrus »

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2016, 12:04 AM »
^ Huh, positivity. Never thought I'd see the day... :D

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2016, 02:46 AM »
Jonno - Can you confirm 100% WMD won't have replays? Or would you guys think about implementing them?

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2016, 04:10 AM »
Jonno - Can you confirm 100% WMD won't have replays? Or would you guys think about implementing them?

To clarify, he's talking about the much-wanted post-game replay files, not instant replays.

But since I've mentioned them...does WMD have instant replays (for impressive shots)?

Online TheWalrus

« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2016, 04:32 AM »
Jonno, will low gravity be in the final release?  What about min/max bounce setting for grenades?  Us oldschool artillery fans want both back for BnG.