Forums
May 02, 2024, 07:17 PM

Author Topic: Team17 has announced Worms WMD  (Read 64327 times)

Offline The Extremist

Re: Team17 has announced Worms WMD
« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2016, 05:05 AM »
Jonno, will low gravity be in the final release?  What about min/max bounce setting for grenades?  Us oldschool artillery fans want both back for BnG.

Speaking of BnG, might it be possible to release a video demonstrating how grenades bounce off of girders at different angles/powers, as well as how bazookas are affected by different shot powers/wind speeds?

(Sorry if it seems we're filling your plate - I warned you we were hardcore. :P)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 05:11 AM by The Extremist »

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2016, 05:18 AM »
One more fanboyish request...might it be possible to release a video (or even just a GIF/WEBM) showing how Kamikaze affects a straight line of worms?

(BTW, that announcer clip is from Unreal Tournament.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 05:21 AM by The Extremist »

Offline Lex

« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2016, 06:39 AM »
The two devs I've faced are not only Team17 veterans who understand Armageddon but beastly at the game too...especially Karl.

Hey Jonno, is this Karl you're talking about Karl Morton from the WA dev team?

Offline Senator

« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2016, 07:46 AM »
Jonno - Can you confirm 100% WMD won't have replays? Or would you guys think about implementing them?

Just so everyone is aware our development team are a small, but kick-ass group who are working at full steam. Danny has been discussing the replay feature with the devs. At this time it's important that the resources we have are used to make the actual core game and it's multiplayer the best it can be, I mean if it doesn't stick together why would you want to record it?

Post release when our hard working dev team have some space to breathe we can look at other features that could benefit the Worms community. 

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2016, 08:02 AM »
Cheesus...

That's twice i've missed stuff, i'm getting bad...

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2016, 08:23 AM »
Jonno - Can you confirm 100% WMD won't have replays? Or would you guys think about implementing them?

To clarify, he's talking about the much-wanted post-game replay files, not instant replays.

But since I've mentioned them...does WMD have instant replays (for impressive shots)?

Instant replays, as well as 'match winning' replays are in the game. You can toggle them on/off in the settings.

To another question the option for artillery mode is available in scheme settings - I haven't tried it though so I don't know if it allows further customisation beyond that.

Community Manager at Team17

Offline Lex

« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2016, 08:50 AM »
Are there full-game replays like WA has, which are necessary for competitive leagues?

Also, is Karl Morton working on Worms WMD, or is the Karl you mentioned some other Karl?

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2016, 08:54 AM »
To another question the option for artillery mode is available in scheme settings - I haven't tried it though so I don't know if it allows further customisation beyond that.

"Artilllery mode" probably just means "fixed position worms", which is a prequisite for BnG.

http://worms2d.info/Bazooka_and_Grenades

Are there full-game replays like WA has, which are necessary for competitive leagues?

Also, is Karl Morton working on Worms WMD, or is the Karl you mentioned some other Karl?

No need to repeat yourself or others. I'm sure that Jonno reads everything.

Offline Lex

« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2016, 08:55 AM »
I retract my question about full-game replays.  I see that was answered.  Thanks for pointing it out in PMs, Senator.

Regarding the other question, I see there was a post without the answer, so I figured it was just missed.  It happens to everyone, including me, obviously.  :)

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2016, 08:57 AM »
@Jonno_Team17,

If you've been discussing the replay feature, maybe it's a good idea to refer them to this page:

http://worms2d.info/Replay_file

If the replay feature is going to be implemented and follows the standards (mentioned link), it might push me enough to update this site for the new game.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 08:59 AM by MonkeyIsland »
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2016, 08:58 AM »
In any case, if the team doesn't have the resources to have replay files in by launch, I'm personally ok with that. We can use the time to get used to the game, then get replay files patched in once everyone's in the groove. Right?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:01 AM by The Extremist »

Offline Lex

« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2016, 09:09 AM »
I would not play it if there were regressions from WA, personally.  I realize that's crazy considering how futile it is to attempt to catch up to the immense number of improvements to WA since 2002.

I guess this is my way of saying that Team17 should choose one of the following courses of action if they want to work on Worms:
  • directly work with Deadcode and CyberShadow (and employ them properly with reasonable compensation, and obviously only if they are willing)
  • investigate and reproduce every feature and quality of WA's latest version precisely before adding new features
  • work on another IP instead of Worms
This is all just my personal standpoint.  I probably don't speak for the whole community.  I think any of those 3 courses of action would make the TUS community happy though.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:11 AM by Lex »

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2016, 09:22 AM »
^ Sounds to me you'd just be happy with WA 4.0. That's fine. But my belief is:

But although WA's gameplay may be near perfect, it's an old game on an old engine with old sensibilities. A proper sequel to WA with the flexibility and consistency of old, combined with the technology of today, would be fantastic for everyone.

All signs point to WMD being heavily inspired by WA. It probably won't contain EVERYTHING we love about WA, but tons of NEW things are being added which might just make up for those few shortcomings.

Besides, I get the feeling that Team17 is, at long last, sick of all the poorly received Worms titles of late, and finally wants to make a game for the fans...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:44 AM by The Extremist »

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #148 on: April 28, 2016, 09:34 AM »

No, there are not at this time. Feel free to check the previous posts to get up to speed with that part of the discussion. TLDR - We aren't focusing on that at this time, but there are other ways to prove a match result in a competitive league.

Do you have a preference for a specific Karl?  :P

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #149 on: April 28, 2016, 09:36 AM »
I would not play it if there were regressions from WA, personally.  I realize that's crazy considering how futile it is to attempt to catch up to the immense number of improvements to WA since 2002.

I guess this is my way of saying that Team17 should choose one of the following courses of action if they want to work on Worms:
  • directly work with Deadcode and CyberShadow (and employ them properly with reasonable compensation, and obviously only if they are willing)
  • investigate and reproduce every feature and quality of WA's latest version precisely before adding new features
  • work on another IP instead of Worms
This is all just my personal standpoint.  I probably don't speak for the whole community.  I think any of those 3 courses of action would make the TUS community happy though.

Just to clarify, we're not making Worms Armageddon remastered.

We're making Worms W.M.D - It's based on Armageddon to capture it's feel and physics. Some of the game's code is even taken from Armageddon, we can't move forward and innovate if we just clone a previous title.

This is like the spiritual successor to Armageddon - it is not Armageddon HD.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:44 AM by MonkeyIsland »