Forums
May 28, 2024, 06:46 PM

Author Topic: How an avoiding rule would work  (Read 5476 times)

Offline Ray

Re: How an avoiding rule would work
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2012, 10:27 AM »
Let's move the "MonkeyIsland versus ropa open debate" posts to another Off-Topic thread noone's going to read and focus on the "How an avoiding rule would work" topic?

I think this issue can be solved only by searching TUS games via the TUS site (pretty logical, huh?).

Player/Clan A presses "Find a TUS game" button and waits for the random opponent. Then Player/Clan B presses his button and both get the message "Game found!" or smth... If one of them denies to play, then he loses points. It would be also nice to select preferable schemes by both sides, so they will play only one of those schemes and there won't be "my pick - your pick" rule.

One more benefit: don't need to spam AG with "TUS NE1 TUS NE1 TUS NE1".

But I guess it's not that easy to code. Just an idea :)
I pitched that idea before, I got -20 karma for it. ;D

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Ray/Statik, do you think we have enough activity that system find games online for them? I don't think that's possible.
For that to work you need enough players asking. What happens if I press the button and 30 mins later some one else presses that button?

ropa, you can consider everything to be a good lesson with that way of thinking. I can beat the crap out of someone and say "hey you should take some self-defense class". I could rob someone and point out his home security must be better.
If your intentions are good as you claim, then you have chosen the hard way. I'm not looking to fly so that you push me off the tree to see if the baby bird can take care of himself. This is a community and we work together. This site is NOT done by me. A lot of ideas here are not by me. I'm not looking to be a legend nor I want anyone to push me so I can see the "lesson" for myself. You could start off by showing how things are done maybe? You could write a rule and hand it to me maybe so as you put it you don't disturb my unnecessary codings?
and I showed the example you requested. You simply refused to reply.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2012, 11:28 AM »
Actually, it would be easier to find a game with that system, because now the activity is low + there is a bunch of avoiders. There is no much sense to discuss it there, it requires a lot of thinking, but I believe it's possible to make, at least I don't see any unsolvable problems.

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2012, 12:02 PM »

ropa, you can consider everything to be a good lesson with that way of thinking. I can beat the crap out of someone and say "hey you should take some self-defense class". I could rob someone and point out his home security must be better.
If your intentions are good as you claim, then you have chosen the hard way. I'm not looking to fly so that you push me off the tree to see if the baby bird can take care of himself.

Thing is, you can't exactly compare making witty remarks with punching or robbing someone never mind in the Internet. I'm not saying my one or two posts a day making a joke should be studied and analyzed between the lines. You act as if I never have anything of value to say? You can call me condescending, because I am, patronizing, check, but why are you trying to convince everyone, including yourself, that I never had any sort of constructive criticism to share?. I've given countless scheme opinion, system opinion, I've even approached you three or four times to share personal ideas that were meant for FoW, kind of puts to the ground much of your false claims about how I come here to advertise FoW because bla bla bla conspiracy theories.

and I showed the example you requested. You simply refused to reply.

So a quote from months or years ago is supposed to demonstrate that I'm a full time mocker? More so than anyone else? For every quote of me making fun of someone you can easily find one of someone else doing the exact same thing, not as ingenious, but still. The only difference is that in this case, you're involved and because it'd be good for your cause to have the support, you want to create this idea that ropa hates tus so tus hates ropa, but be true to your memory, don't be selective. Since you like over the top analogies, if you shoot a pregnant mother in the head on a morning and then when the cops question you you tell them all about how much fun you had that night that'd be being equally selective.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 12:04 PM by ropa »
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2012, 12:54 PM »
A quote from you from months or years ago, is still a quote from you. If you've done something in the past, no matter how many years ago, you're still responsible for it. I asked you to explain the way you acted and you are just avoiding telling me why a man in your position "attacks" a newbie website?

I don't create the idea of you hating TUS. Your actions do. You don't care about what people think about you, that's great. Everybody should be like that so that they could live in peace the way they want to live. But you have taken this into another level and not caring about what people think of you, has made you act like a rude spoiled kid. I can't deny that you have had positive ideas regarding TUS, but not being selective as you say, you answer this one yourself: What is the sum of your positive and negative thoughts in almost 4 years of TUS?

At the end, regarding mockery, I don't welcome it. Yes people do it time to time but that is spread in different people and in different cases while in your case it is all focused. If I cared about your mockery against me personally, I'd act way sooner since your criticism against my work didn't happen just recently, it started with you entering TUS. It is the concept of mockery which you find enjoyable and I find it completely over the line.

I'm already feeling bad I filled TUS with these. So this is my last post regarding you. You can catch me with PM or on IRC if you'd like to continue.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2012, 01:12 PM »

I'm already feeling bad I filled TUS with these.

Full time forum flamer.
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2012, 02:42 PM »
deleted for the better good*
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 03:31 PM by NAiL »
worm and learn

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2012, 06:56 PM »
deleted for the better good*

Good because I didn't want another biography published in the internet without royalties
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline DENnis

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2012, 08:47 PM »

That extra PO qualification was around before, it got reminded by DENnis in this thread. The thread itself is started by dub-c after we talked on snooper and pm.
Thank you for me mentioning me, nice that you remember that I talked to you about this, too (and about the "cup system" suggestions with the PMs here to you and DarkOne ;D).

I'm planning to code some additional requirement for PO and scheme medals: The player must have played n games versus x top players in that specific season.
This sounds good. If the avoiders and lamers have to play vs good people, too, they will probably lose more games which means they have to play a bit more if they want to reach the POs and more activity is always good.

All your money, time and effort you put on this site and for Worms Armageddon just shows that you love quality and to improve TUS. I think everybody should be proud of you and this site, which keeps WA very active.

I'm just happy that you listen to us and our suggestions and realize so many of them.

Thank you very much, MonkeyIsland!

Edit: Insert quote.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 09:02 PM by DENnis »

Offline GreatProfe

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2012, 09:31 PM »
to be honest i didnt read this thread, just in some parts.

But i have an idea what i guess already was discussed in TUS.

It's about calling tus.

Nowadays, any player goes to ag and call "tus ne1?" or send pms for players who is online to play it.

The idea is create a menu "Leagues > Ask a game" in the website. If i want play some TUS, i set this feature and my nickname will appear in TUS Home Page with the status "Avaliable to play". So, wanna suppose Random saw my name there and he pressed a button "Accept TUS against Professor". Done. Its avoids a big part of avoiders / noob bashers because i cant choose my opponent.

I know, my idea is incomplete. Firstly, i want to know if my idea is good or not.

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2012, 09:35 PM »
to be honest i didnt read this thread, just in some parts.

But i have an idea what i guess already was discussed in TUS.

It's about calling tus.

Nowadays, any player goes to ag and call "tus ne1?" or send pms for players who is online to play it.

The idea is create a menu "Leagues > Ask a game" in the website. If i want play some TUS, i set this feature and my nickname will appear in TUS Home Page with the status "Avaliable to play". So, wanna suppose Random saw my name there and he pressed a button "Accept TUS against Professor". Done. Its avoids a big part of avoiders / noob bashers because i cant choose my opponent.

I know, my idea is incomplete. Firstly, i want to know if my idea is good or not.

I think it is a great idea, but, also has its own problems as MI pointed one out.

Except it should be totally anonymous.
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline Casso

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2012, 09:46 PM »
I think that noob bashers won't never set the status "Available to play" but they will wait for a noob which ask to play. Anyway i think that this idea is great (as i said to Statik)

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2012, 09:51 PM »
I think that noob bashers won't never set the status "Available to play" but they will wait for a noob which ask to play. Anyway i think that this idea is great (as i said to Statik)

It would be anonymous. You wouldn't know who you play until you press a button or something.
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2012, 10:39 PM »
The thing is, whilst a website fronted to find games and play games (it could even launch WA itself, amongst other things) sounds like a quality of life improvement it kind of defeats the purpose of having lobbies at all. It makes it even harder for newcomers to realize a league exists (many of them I assume come aware when they constantly see people asking "tus ne1?"), ultimately it harms the activity of wormnet and  I have serious doubts about the activity of such things in such a small community.

Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline franz

« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2012, 11:05 PM »
it's not exactly 100% anonymous either. you can see who is online peeking at the 'Users Online' at the bottom of the TUS homepage.

It was a kinda fun feature back when I last saw it used around 2005 with ESL/GIGA, but I don't see it being an end-all be-all fix to anything really.  like ropa says, the current asking system through AG seems to be healthier and more flexible for worms community needs.