Forums
April 28, 2024, 09:51 PM

Author Topic: MapGEN v0.8.7.2  (Read 55745 times)

Offline TheKomodo

Re: MapGEN v0.6.2
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2015, 07:30 AM »
Hey Plutonic, that's a great job you done there mate! Awesome :)

I like these maps, they will be useful :)

Is your tool limited to producing only 1 style of maps? Or can you allow a set of options so that it makes different types? I'd like to see a few different types:

The edges of the BnG map are open, notice the maps I sent you all have closed sides, for example yours is _!_!_!_!_ where mine is !_!_!_!_! if you understand that?

I would like to be able to change the height/width of objects, and height/width of the gaps between each object, if possible.

Would there be a "reseeding" option just like in the actual game? If the map looks nice but objects are in wrong places etc you can hit reseed button and it randomizes the placement of the objects, or selects different objects for each parts.

Since you are working with PNG files, is it possible to mix different terrain objects together? I think that could be the future of BnG maps, if it could use some -forest, tribal, fruit, etc in 1 map, that would truly be brilliant! Would be nice to have an option of how many different terrain textures to use and able to select which ones :)

These are just ideas off the top of my head, I could brainstorm and think of more things if you'd like? If these things are possible but may require much time to program etc, I would be happy to donate a little money for your time as it would be extremely useful for me until the day I finally stop playing WA lol.

Again, thanks for the work so far, it's great :D

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2015, 09:51 AM »
Hey!
There is no reason that it cant support multiple types, it is already doing maps with or without caverns underneath.

The bigger issue is fitting options into the interface, I tend to have some that it will always do randomly rather than being selected to get around it.

I can make it be object first, no problem, should it always be like that or just some times?

Lump width, height and spacing are already supported, but are just randomised. Would you need control over these?

Object reseed is a bit if a faff, but it can be done. We do it on forts, I will add it to list.

Multiple themes is an interesting one. There are a couple of ways you could do it.
We could make a custom themes for bng. Just make a new theme that has a mix of nice objects in it.
Alternatively, we could use some "special objects" that we select for the top of the lumps and then theme specific ones elsewhere just for flavour.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2015, 10:02 AM »
Ah, this is very exciting!

Hey!
There is no reason that it cant support multiple types, it is already doing maps with or without caverns underneath.

Well, this is somewhat irrelevant I guess as no one will play underneath lol, unless 2 noobs play and they destroy pretty much whole map :D

The bigger issue is fitting options into the interface, I tend to have some that it will always do randomly rather than being selected to get around it.

Ah so this is a problem then?

I can make it be object first, no problem, should it always be like that or just some times?

What do you mean by object 1st?

Lump width, height and spacing are already supported, but are just randomised. Would you need control over these?

Control over as much as possible would be ideal to be honest, of course it's your project, it's your choice :)

Object reseed is a bit if a faff, but it can be done. We do it on forts, I will add it to list.

Awesome, reseeding is one of the most important features when making good/balanced BnG maps, so that sounds very useful :)

Multiple themes is an interesting one. There are a couple of ways you could do it.
We could make a custom themes for bng. Just make a new theme that has a mix of nice objects in it.
Alternatively, we could use some "special objects" that we select for the top of the lumps and then theme specific ones elsewhere just for flavour.

As I said, as much variety as possible would be better, as most people have a different taste in BnG maps, I personally always use -forest for competitive matches because after like 10 years of BnG experience and making maps I find it provides the most amount of useful and balanced hides, more is always better :)

Perhaps a mixture of different objects from different terrain themes along with multiple choices of terrain height/width/shape could be the future of BnG maps?

I just thought, if you would like to have a real conversation to discuss this intensely and exchange ideas while you work on it/test it, we could use skype or something? If that works for me let me know and I will PM you my skype details.

Offline Mega`Adnan

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2015, 10:46 AM »
Using Windows 8.1 Enterprise, please help?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:48 AM by Mega`Adnan »

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline Korydex

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2015, 01:21 PM »
Great work ye are doing here guys
Btw why Komito only has one WA icon above his avatar? xd 

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2015, 01:34 PM »
Great work ye are doing here guys
Probably because same reason odometer rolls over to zeros after 999,999.

Too many posts, tus couldn't handle it, wasn't designed to handle so many komo posts ;D

Offline MarianRV

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2015, 01:38 PM »
Tournaments/Challenges moderator have one W:A icon only

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2015, 01:46 PM »

Because I am "The One".

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2015, 05:59 PM »
Using Windows 8.1 Enterprise, please help?

Just delete the dll, its from my version of windows and apparently isn't compatible with some others. I added it as sometimes people dont have it, but if that's the case you will just have to go get the Visual Studio 2012 Redistributable from the MS website.

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2015, 06:19 PM »
Well, this is somewhat irrelevant I guess as no one will play underneath lol, unless 2 noobs play and they destroy pretty much whole map :D

Oh, I added it as loads of the maps you sent had it included so I figured it must have been something people used. Ah well.

Quote from: Komito
Ah so this is a problem then?

Not a massive problem, but it can be a bit of a pain as all the controls for the different schemes overlap in the editor!
It's also worth concidering how it will work with wkMapGEN, as it always uses the settings that you save out. If it is an option it becomes fixed, if it is left to be random then it will turn up.

It is probably a case that the interface needs to be able to handle a "keep this random" for each setting, something I will have to concider across the board.

What do you mean by object 1st?

As in, !_!_!_!_!_! like you said before.

Control over as much as possible would be ideal to be honest, of course it's your project, it's your choice :)

Fair enough, I would rather it be right and get used, than be mine and be ignored! If something isn't supported right now I can just look into adding it at some point.

As I said, as much variety as possible would be better, as most people have a different taste in BnG maps, I personally always use -forest for competitive matches because after like 10 years of BnG experience and making maps I find it provides the most amount of useful and balanced hides, more is always better :)

Perhaps a mixture of different objects from different terrain themes along with multiple choices of terrain height/width/shape could be the future of BnG maps?

Well, I will start with making maps that you want, if others have a strong preference for a different style that we don't supportthey can come join in the conversation I have no issues with multiple algorithms (or option tweaks with in one), as long as I find the time to do it. ;)

I just thought, if you would like to have a real conversation to discuss this intensely and exchange ideas while you work on it/test it, we could use skype or something? If that works for me let me know and I will PM you my skype details.

Would rather avoid skype if I can, mIRC tends to work fairly well for me. I tend to be working on this between about 9 and 12 each night (UK time) if you want to come on with some ideas.

I noticed a number of maps had gaps in the middle, is that something you want? What about the floaty balls above the ground?

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2015, 11:57 PM »
Oh, I added it as loads of the maps you sent had it included so I figured it must have been something people used. Ah well.

Yeah I dunno why people do that, maybe just for scenery? Nothing wrong with it :)

Yeah I understand now, could have an option to choose either?

I noticed a number of maps had gaps in the middle, is that something you want? What about the floaty balls above the ground?

Well, I am not 100% sure about the gaps in middle theory, but I think if you put gap there the objects will be placed elsewhere and since no one uses the very middle it is a good way to give more hides in the map, I seem to get good results this way, and thanks to Ramones BnG map set that made me try that :)

The floaty balls above the ground is a cool feature in some maps, could use that too yeah :)

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2015, 06:55 AM »
Ok cool,
Well last night I added the gaps (though if its just to force object placement I dont strictly need it as I put them where I want!). As well as completely rewriting mapgens random number generation so I can support reseeding the objects (which now works,:-) ).

Guess I will add the floaty bits next and then work on making these options rather than random features.

Offline Hussar

« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2015, 07:16 AM »
Great program. Could u add T17 and BnG?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 07:26 AM by Hussar »

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2015, 07:22 AM »
That's great, looking forward to testing it :D

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2015, 07:29 AM »
Great program. Could u add T17 and BnG?

You just need to open the rar file (I use winrar but others can open it) and copy all the files somewhere. If it won't run try deleting the dlls, they seem to causing issues so I will remove them from the next version.