Forums
May 19, 2024, 03:04 PM

Author Topic: Just got a Wii U  (Read 7782 times)

Offline Anubis

Re: Just got a Wii U
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2016, 02:24 PM »
Objectively ropa is right though, the evidence is clear that PSX had more "good" games. I (my family) also had over 150 PSX games and "only" 40ish N64 games, my brothers both played video games and they are older and had jobs, so I got to experience all the good games of both consoles. And to be honest, N64 games were, for the most part, more fun. Not because they were better or looked better, it was because they allowed Multiplayer, almost all of them. A 4 player Mario Party or Kart is just subjectively more fun than a Resident Evil or Final Fantasy. One game is made to have fun, the other is made to make you think/feel the atmosphere and enjoy the story, "fun" is a side product. Of course as a teen/kid "fun" is a lot more valuable than the story. Nowadays I would easily say the PSX was better than the N64, I have matured I don't really have easy access to meet up and play video games like I used to be able when both my brothers and school friends were more often around.

Offline Peja

« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2016, 02:25 PM »
VoK: i have now beer so my rope will be perfect.
 VoK: will do ttrr every map under 30s

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2016, 03:23 PM »
the best part about the PSX was every month demos CD with your favorite videogame magazine
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2016, 07:12 PM »
Objectively ropa is right though, the evidence is clear that PSX had more "good" games.

Well, they definitely had more games, but I wouldn't say they were all good, I loved a few games for PS but most PS games were pretty meh...

I always enjoyed feel good games like Zelda/Mario/Donkey Kong Country/Sonic etc...

With awesome epic and cheesy music, nice interesting warming animations, fun characters, stuff that makes you laugh and smile!

As Extremist said earlier Sony is more violent and depressing, survival and horror, sports, and that's just boring to me, I mean to me football is one of the most god awful biggest crybaby pussy sports on the planet, but it's the most popular sport in the world... And no doubt FIFA is the biggest sports games on the planet.

I can't deny Playstation was popular and really really really successful, but then again so was Justin Beiber...

Nowadays I would easily say the PSX was better than the N64, I have matured I don't really have easy access to meet up and play video games like I used to be able when both my brothers and school friends were more often around.

Really? When I compare both now N64 looks better and plays better, and although N64 doesn't have CD playback, the musical scores from composers such as Hiroki Kikuta(Secret of Mana) and Koji Kondo(Zelda/Mario) to name a few are just legendary.

(Edit - Forgot to mention comparing Nintendo against Sony here, not just N64/PS).

By far the best scores the PS ever had were from Final Fantasy.

And even nowadays I can play multiplayer with friends on N64 and we have a lot of fun, people whistle and beatbox classic N64 songs, nobody really plays PS anymore.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Quote from: TheKomodo
I always enjoyed feel good games like Zelda/Mario/Donkey Kong Country/Sonic etc...

With awesome epic and cheesy music, nice interesting warming animations, fun characters, stuff that makes you laugh and smile!

nostalgia is cute

people whistle and beatbox classic N64 songs

and there's an ongoing final fantasy orchesta, what's your point? you're clearly only looking at one side of the picture, and pretty awfully too
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2016, 08:20 PM »
nostalgia is cute

Nostalgia? Do you think I haven't played any Mario/Zelda/Donkey Kong/Sonic game since N64 days? We only just mentioned Zelda: Breath of the Wild within the last week.

I was giving an example of what satisfies my personal taste.

and there's an ongoing final fantasy orchesta, what's your point? you're clearly only looking at one side of the picture, and pretty awfully too

Indeed, and really hope to see them at some point :)

I clearly am not, but just to inform you there are other people that live on this planet, and they don't all think like you.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2016, 09:11 PM »
if you want to present an opinion you should argument both sides, otherwise you're just sprouting random facts while making it look like you're making a point
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2016, 09:47 PM »
if you want to present an opinion you should argument both sides, otherwise you're just sprouting random facts while making it look like you're making a point

Well I was actually just sprouting random opinions not facts, but why the need to argue both sides when all I really wanted to say was I like N64 more than PS and a few reasons why? The biggest part of how I got into music production stems from Nintendo games/music, everything was just so right for me with their stuff, I am not trying to change your opinion or anything.

I don't need to be "right" or "wrong" on this, and I don't need to state all the "facts" and technical stuff when you and Extremist are doing a perfectly fine job of that :) (Which you guys know more than me anyway)

So, PS had more "good" games than N64, and N64 is more expensive, but I dunno that doesn't bother me, i've always preferred quality over quantity and i've always been one who kept my games to a mimimum anyway while most of my friends had 40-50+ games for each console, I only had like 10 or something.

Also I think if you take the top 10 PS games against the top 10 N64 games, i'd put my money on N64 if like 1000 random people had some sort of test where they had to play all 20 games for like a day each and decide what they liked better, I might lose my money but whatever, you come into the world with nothing, you leave with nothing :D

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2016, 10:12 PM »
Why? Who said anything about master pieces? I claimed the PS1 had more good games than the N64, there's two links in my last post proving the statement, are you ready to challenge that or you're going to keep changing the terminology to suit your argumentation?

Just posting a link to a review aggregator isn't good enough. Many high ranking games are cult classics with niche appeal. I've already listed the PS1's & N64's highest tier games in terms of notoriety, and the N64's mid tier. Since you seem to be avoiding doing the work yourself, I'll also do the PS1's mid tier (in my next post, busy right now).

N64 runs on browsers and phones. Emulating it for online play is easy as shit unless you're a cyberboor who plays shooters with gamepads.

Not accurately. CEN64 is an upcoming cycle-accurate N64 emulator, which cannot run at full speed on today's top-tier PCs.

I'm a stickler for original hardware. I CAN play GE/PD/Mario Kart on emulator, with either KB/M or gamepad, but I don't WANT to, because they don't look or feel right. Not even close. And netplay needs really good connections - even if I were to set it up, the lag against Europe would be unbearable. At least PD XBLA has smooth online play, if nothing else...

"Halo game of your choosing". What are you? a cross-breed between a nintendofag and a xboxican hating on the PSX? My god

I've always hated the PlayStation controller. Xbox controller is easier to hold, more space between the sticks, raised buttons so you can tell what you're pressing.

I also liked Halo (emphasis on the liked, it's gone to s*** since Bungie left). I find shooting aliens/faceless supersoldiers more fun than the jingoistic military simulators that are COD and Battlefield.

Mario Kart 8 doesn't demand a lot of skill

Lmao. You're a surface gamer (a housewife with steam). Please stop embarrasing yourself.

How does what I said indicate that I don't know anything about games? Is it the mere fact that I play Mario Kart 8? Everybody does. And it DOESN'T require much skill. The way the boost/item system is, once you're good at the basics, it's mostly rolling the dice. Show evidence that I'm wrong instead of insults.

I don't want to generalize but f@#!ing hell:

Nintendo fanboy - check
Haloican - check
Computer iliterate - check
Plays FPS with gamepad - check
Sucks terribly at fighting games - check
Thinks you only need some bare stat knowledge and grind to be succesful at Pokemon - check

Nintendo fanboy - Yes, that's right. So what?
Haloican - Up until Reach, at least. So what?
Computer iliterate - I've built multiple computers from scratch, picking all the parts manually, as well as fully configured multiple Windows installations from scratch. I've done Sysprep, manually mastered CDs/DVDs/VCD, overclocked, even done meshes & animations in 3ds max.
Plays FPS with gamepad - I play console shooters with gamepad, PC shooters with KB/M.
Sucks terribly at fighting games - I don't even play regular (MK/SF/Tekken) fighters. They're so damn boring. I need a gimmick, which is why I like Smash and Soul Calibur. But no, I'm not good at them, simply because I don't care enough about them. I dedicate myself to Zelda/Elder Scrolls/WA/racing games.
Thinks you only need some bare stat knowledge and grind to be succesful at Pokemon - Please prove otherwise.

You can't stand MOBAs either amirite?

I can't stand any RTS games. I just don't like 'em. Anything wrong with that?

Look, you have a PC, right? I'd be happy to play Unreal Tournament or WA against you.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 10:19 PM by The Extremist »

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2016, 12:15 AM »
N64 runs on browsers and phones. Emulating it for online play is easy as shit unless you're a cyberboor who plays shooters with gamepads.

Not accurately. CEN64 is an upcoming cycle-accurate N64 emulator, which cannot run at full speed on today's top-tier PCs.
Sounds like a piece of shit if it cant emulate a 20 year old system at full speed on current tier PC's.  Whats the point in even developing software if its going to suck that much?

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2016, 12:34 AM »
Sounds like a piece of shit if it cant emulate a 20 year old system at full speed on current tier PC's.  Whats the point in even developing software if its going to suck that much?

Accuracy needs power. Not only is the N64's MIPS architecture completely different from x86, emulating the exact timing/order of operations adds another layer of complexity.

Try reading the CEN64 forum. You'll see what lengths the developer has to go to to squeeze more speed out of it. Hopefully, the next gen of CPUs will make things easier.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 03:44 AM by The Extremist »

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2016, 06:38 AM »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634041

If you don't know something, try googling it instead of turning(purposely or not) this lovely thread negative.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2016, 09:04 AM »
Walrus is right though. It is a pretty shitty card if it can't run games up to the Wii at full speed.

Full accuracy is a different thing but it really doesn't make much of a gameplay difference (it might in some specific games). It's mostly about preservation. I've had high level hot seat SSBrawl games on the PC and we've played it no problem and no differences that we could appreciate.

@TheExtremist, you're casul buddy
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:17 AM by Aerox »
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2016, 09:35 AM »
I've used Dolphin, and even though it's mostly HLE (higher speed/lower accuracy), it's still much better than current HLE N64 emulators. This may just be a matter of more dedicated developers, but it may also be due to the N64's unique architecture and the way some N64 games were developed, especially games by Factor 5, Rareware, and Boss Studios (i.e., close to the metal):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734779

@TheExtremist, you're casul buddy

Care to elaborate?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:07 AM by The Extremist »

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2016, 10:22 AM »
I've used Dolphin, and even though it's mostly HLE (higher speed/lower accuracy), It's still much better than current HLE N64 emulators. This may just be a matter of more dedicated developers, but it may also be due to the N64's unique architecture and the way some N64 games were developed, especially games by Factor 5, Rareware, and Boss Studios (i.e., close to the metal)

Oh shut the hell up dude. People do speedrunning on emulators, Mario 64, Super Mario World. On ROM hacks too. OOOOH it plays so differently I can't handle it. Stop the bullshit. If you don't want me to own you at Nintendo games that's ok, no excuses needed, I'm not going to play Unreal f@#!ing Tournament either lol.

Care to elaborate?

the games you speak of, they're all games average children can complete. You also don't play two of the most competitive genres ever because "reasons". Totally awful at WA too by the looks of it. You're an Elder's Scroll super fan for god's sake.

All this talk had me download Skyward Sword yesterday, I think the only Zelda I haven't played or completed, I wish I could have skip the first one or two hours of the game because I couldn't even get myself to sit through all that awkward and retarded Nintendo hand holding. I have no idea how people can still play this shit after a certain age. Besides those who have failed to grow up or have nostalgia of a better time, when they were just a kid and not yet a failure. It's as if Nintendo has realized its current fanbase is just not very intelligent. I just couldn't handle it, and that's something, since ALTTP is my favorite game of all time.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:31 AM by Aerox »
Eat a bag full of dicks.