Forums
May 07, 2024, 01:05 PM

Author Topic: Team of experts  (Read 7140 times)

Offline Free

Team of experts
« on: March 05, 2013, 05:45 PM »
"Host cups less talk", what has hosting cups changed in Classic really other than amount of girder in T17, and there was no need for cup for that change, as far as I rememeber.

how else r u going to get people to try ur new scheme then?

u host a cup with ur new scheme idea, ppl like it. maybe 1 season in trl, ppl like it some more. maybe enough players like it enough for it to make changes for bng in classic

If your talking about introducing a whole new scheme to Classic, then yeah cups and trl is a working solution, but when talking about improving +10 year old classic schemes, we really don't need to host cup after cup with different rule tweaking to know how the scheme affects luck/skill balance. My solution is to have a council that consists of very experienced players who are also "smart thinkers" and they simply force a rule. Way more effective and saves time. Whatever rule is forced, there is going to be opposition anyways so let a council make the decisions imo. No need for cups (when it comes to simple rules discussions or scheme tweaks) and we could actually see changes happen wayyyy more effectively.

Offline darKz

Re: Team of experts
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 12:13 AM »
Gotta say that was the best post on these forums I've read in a while.

An uneven number of council members would be mandatory for obvious reasons.
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 08:19 AM »
I am not just saying this just to disagree with you guys, but I think it's a horrible idea, maybe you could elaborate more, give some suggestions of who or something, but I doubt it.

1st off, it's completely unfair, you couldn't pick people we would all agree on and to be honest, I wouldn't like the decision of these things to be in the hands of the geeky secret society of WA...

Mainly though, I don't think anyone should have the power to just "force a rule", regarding Leagues and how people actually play the game without discussing it with the community, obvious MI can make whatever rules he wishes regarding the website/forums though... And the MODs for complaints etc...

We don't even need a council but, what the f**k, the world isn't ending, your hair isn't on fire, we should all just shut up, sit down, play, talk, whatever and enjoy this FREE website/League which is running just fine :)

MI D1 and franz, that is all we ever needed, these guys(unless franz comes back and tells us he really is a girl or something...) are all very fair, very intelligent, and very experienced with WA.

You gave me a good idea though Free, I think we should have a few more players who can authorize Tournaments...

Offline HHC

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 12:26 PM »
I agree with Free. A couple of experts being able to force new rules/tweaks to schemes seems a good idea to me. That will make the league more dynamic and changes will be far easier to implement.

It does raise a lot of issues though, like komo says. Selection of these 'experts' (Free is a worms expert I guess, but is he one in hysteria? I'm not so sure) and the whole decisionmaking process (don't think even those experts will be able to agree on 'controversial' issues). I'm also worried decisions this way will be taken too hastily. I really believe you need at least one cup to make sure there's really no loopholes in the schemes. W2roper for example had many supporters on the forum, but after a bunch of games it was apparent that the scheme was bugged in many areas. You do need at least some feedback.

Offline darKz

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 01:14 PM »
Pretty much like every up to date government works, there should be elections and all that. A council of 5 or 7 people seems big enough to me. I actually talked about something like this with Anubis the other day and we both thought it was a good idea but none of us bothered posting it because the way things are, it's just gonna get bashed like every other change bringing suggestion.
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 01:44 PM »
I have no problem with making a team of experts. That sounds good. +1 HHC

It does raise a lot of issues though, like komo says. Selection of these 'experts' (Free is a worms expert I guess, but is he one in hysteria? I'm not so sure) and the whole decisionmaking process (don't think even those experts will be able to agree on 'controversial' issues). I'm also worried decisions this way will be taken too hastily.

The minimum thing a team of experts could do is to modify schemes in their own field.

How about members vote for their expert for the team? and once the team is created the rest will be up to them.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline GreatProfe

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 02:03 PM »
hoho someone stole my idea :D

https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/tus-discussion/international-board-worms-10506/

btw it's really a nice thing to have a team expert. In every democracry we need leaders, we need wise people to point the light wherever it is.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 02:07 PM »
So you are giving these "experts" the power to change schemes as they think it should be? Surely this is too much?

They would have to be limited to what they can change, surely they must inform the community, give out warning, there should still be some sort of vote on changes or something... Talking about votes, won't the community even be able to vote on making a "team of experts" in the 1st place?

Some people don't even read forums on TuS, they just come and go, if changes are made to a scheme they are used to and they don't know about it, because they don't check the site or something, how will we handle that?

I really cannot trust, a few people, or an "expert", to be free to make what changes they view as fit at will without being strongly backed up by the majority of the community.

Please don't do this?

Offline Prankster

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 02:17 PM »
They could announce changes on a pinned board, like TUS announcements, so everyone who plays TUS, would be informed.

(are you obsessed with question marks? :))

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 02:54 PM »
Well, Im agree with Komo.
Im 100% sure experts will be old school wormers, so its obvious they will implent ideas to the league that worked 10 years ago, and removing hysteria would be one of those ideas. goddamnit even if hysteria will ever get removed from classic (or any other solid change happen) Id like to have this done with asking what others think at first.

I wonder why we cant just make a small box where everyone can write his own idea, so others can vote if they agree or not on some kind of voting page, with all ideas people got in mind

Offline ANO

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 03:39 PM »
Wow,
this really looks like Berlusconi and Italy, it's funny!:

You don't want to change Hysteria?
Let make me Super President and I'll have the all power to do this!

To be balance, not only a punch of old schoolers is enough. Here there are many noobs and new schoolers. This would be an "Un-evolution"

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 03:56 PM »
Lets host a cup to decide who will be in the expert team.

Offline Husk

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 04:00 PM »
should the cup be no rules bng?

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 05:03 PM »
husk, b2b cant be experts because of their religion xD
being expert is not allowed on a2b even

Offline HHC

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 06:40 PM »
Dont think all experts are in favour of kicking hyst out. It's just a small portion of old schoolers.

And IMO MI should get a veto then. To block measures that really harm the league or players 'without a voice' (newbs).

And well, any important decisions could still be put up for vote, or at least for public advice.
Particularly in the field of small scheme-fixes such a council could be nice. As well as in uncovering 'exploits' in current schemes and finding ways to counter these.