Forums
April 27, 2024, 04:58 PM

Author Topic: Team17 has announced Worms WMD  (Read 63630 times)

Offline TheKomodo

Re: Team17 has announced Worms WMD
« Reply #375 on: June 06, 2016, 07:17 AM »
so far we just know the ranked scheme does not have one, which is totally fine since the blowtorch does exactly the same thing. 

It doesn't do the exact same thing though, I can't remember how it is for other worms titles but the tunnel looks different, drill leaves pixels behind everywhere(which affects nades rolling down etc), also drills can slide and knock worms etc, and ofc it's awesome for Darts :)

but getting killed by a f@#!ing banana bomb ,spawned on your opponents turn, despite you outplayed him/her, is a bummer for ranked play.

Yup.

@Jonno - Can you please confirm if drill will be in WMD or not?

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 06, 2016, 07:21 AM »
I wish I had a filter to ignore ropa and sbaffo. TUS would be way cooler with that in place lol

I do enjoy watching ropa trying to be generally nicer on the forums since he is being watched and has a very real chance of getting a permaban.

I'm not trying. The only reason I'm on watched is so you can stop reporting posts and stop annoying the hell out of the moderation team. You think I'm on watched because I called you ugly? For f@#!'s sake, your picture is posted for all to see. This is the third or fourth post you make to share your personal opinion on me and nothing else, you're witch hunting and backseat moderating, two universal bads in any community that's run with coherency and not at the expense of the vocal minority, in this case, the two loudest most spammy and annoying posters in the whole forum whose lack of perspective, secondary or college education makes interaction with them a real pain in the ass.

You expect us to sit here and watch you two thread shitters make this thread about your own personal issues?

I've gotten feedback from most of the posts I've made here about worms. You, on the other hand, making posts about Ropa and sBaffo while Komodo cries about a scheme 3 people play.

You're dragging us all back.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 07:23 AM by Aerox »
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Tomtysti

« Reply #377 on: June 06, 2016, 07:25 AM »
Yup, crates should obviously be disabled in ranked. If they aren't, even Elo rankings would not help much.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 06, 2016, 07:30 AM »
Yup, crates should obviously be disabled in ranked. If they aren't, even Elo rankings would not help much.

Should? Because crates are random and that's bad for competition?

Get a gripe, look around you. Hearthstone?
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #379 on: June 06, 2016, 07:42 AM »
Wow ropa, I can't even imagine how much it must hurt being you, constantly wasting your time, exaggerating everything, finding everyone and everything annoying and worthless, don't worry though, we are all human, we all die eventually and then the pain will be gone :)

Offline Tomtysti

« Reply #380 on: June 06, 2016, 08:12 AM »

Should? Because crates are random and that's bad for competition?

Get a gripe, look around you. Hearthstone?

It would be the best of course if the game had TUS-like leagues for several ranked schemes. Sure, I may have exaggerated a little... since even the ranked mode will most likely be pretty uncompetitive and casual experience in general, because the physics and weapons still seem to be dumbed down (I hope I'm wrong). I mean, without the RNG aspect brought by crate drops, it might get dull pretty soon.

The worst thing about the crates IMO isn't weapons like Banana Bomb (you can play around them by hiding and not piling, and they require skill to use), but braindead "click the enemy and win" ones like Boggy B or recently revealed Mega Bunker Buster. That type of crap kind of takes the fun away :P
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:19 AM by Tomtysti »

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #381 on: June 06, 2016, 10:22 AM »
Hey gang,

Hope you all had a good weekend! I've gone back over the last few pages and done some digging.

So the Drill is not currently in Worms W.M.D - I spoke to the Developers and got some reasoning for you:

"It's not in. Because one of our aims was to keep the weapon set down, we took the drill out but gave the blowtorch a new angle facing all the way down."
"The extra angle on the blowtorch is supposed to make up for lack of drills."

Now that's not to say the drill is RIP. Whilst we have no plans to implement the drill in Worms W.M.D at this time it doesn't mean we won't add it to the game in the future if we feel it will add something to the game.

Also re weapon stock/delay - the stock is always in the bottom left and delay timer in the top right. No need for colors once you've got your left from your right nailed down :)
Community Manager at Team17

Offline Lex

« Reply #382 on: June 06, 2016, 10:43 AM »
Why reduce the number of weapons?  WA is especially great because it has such an amazing variety of weapons.  That was one of its selling points; so many unique weapons to play with!  I think reducing the number of weapons available in the game is a misguided effort that actually has the opposite effect on marketing.  Even casual/new players would think that fewer unique weapons available is worse.

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #383 on: June 06, 2016, 10:54 AM »
Why reduce the number of weapons?  WA is especially great because it has such an amazing variety of weapons.  That was one of its selling points; so many unique weapons to play with!  I think reducing the number of weapons available in the game is a misguided effort that actually has the opposite effect on marketing.  Even casual/new players would think that fewer unique weapons available is worse.

There's over 80 weapons still.

We're refining what ones/types there are though for quality of life and game-play.
Community Manager at Team17

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 06, 2016, 11:05 AM »

I rather have 20 well designed weapons than 50. And the way they've tweaked the torch shows me they're at least considering the gameplay implications of the things they remove.

I once wrote up the idea, dunno if it was an addition to M3NTAL's old .txt about worm's classes, that a new Worms game would benefit from having weapons have an alternate shot. There's many weapons that could be turned into one this way. Zook/Mortar, Grenade/Cluster, Shotgun/One shot shotgun, Rope/Bungee, etc etc

We're not losing our ability to drill (because the torch allows us to drill -verb-), we're losing our ability to fly off the rope drilling andl bouncing around the map or play darts whatever, that's a very specific gimmick, we're losing a thousand of those, because it's a new game, and gaining a thousand different ones. We won't play darts, we might play pool, who knows? I feel people are just complaining in the same spirit as gamers usually do, "oh this ain't WA 2.0"
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Lex

« Reply #385 on: June 06, 2016, 11:19 AM »
I once wrote up the idea, dunno if it was an addition to M3NTAL's old .txt about worm's classes, that a new Worms game would benefit from having weapons have an alternate shot. There's many weapons that could be turned into one this way. Zook/Mortar, Grenade/Cluster, Shotgun/One shot shotgun, Rope/Bungee, etc etc

That's a great idea!  Dynamite and gas canister would be another good pair.  The only problem is of ammo.  A grenade having the same number of shots as a cluster bomb is unusual, for example.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #386 on: June 06, 2016, 11:20 AM »
So the Drill is not currently in Worms W.M.D - I spoke to the Developers and got some reasoning for you:

"It's not in. Because one of our aims was to keep the weapon set down, we took the drill out but gave the blowtorch a new angle facing all the way down."
"The extra angle on the blowtorch is supposed to make up for lack of drills."

Now that's not to say the drill is RIP. Whilst we have no plans to implement the drill in Worms W.M.D at this time it doesn't mean we won't add it to the game in the future if we feel it will add something to the game.

Typical, the thing I was looking forward to most, is taken away from the game :( Such is life...

Really do hope you guys manage to save the drill, or at the very least add it sometime soon after release, I could live with that :)

While there are a few people who won't appreciate Darts on Worms Armageddon, it is a somewhat popular scheme, it was the most played scheme in TUS Free League since it was introduced, people enjoyed it in Worms Olympics, and the dS Community are always finding ways to improve it, and we were discussing taking Darts to WMD and seeing what we can achieve there.

The thing is, Darts only works with drill:

Notice as soon as the worm landed, the player pressed space to stop the drill(making the worm stop where it touched), it takes practise to do it but it's an important tactic in some maps.

If there is another weapon that can achieve this, anything you can toss from a rope that will stick to wherever it touches in a similar way, let me know?

Offline Lex

« Reply #387 on: June 06, 2016, 11:22 AM »
If there is another weapon that can achieve this, anything you can toss from a rope that will stick to wherever it touches in a similar way, let me know?

WWP's sticky mode (ultra-high friction available through wormpot) would work.  It could just be a scheme option.

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #388 on: June 06, 2016, 11:24 AM »
For the record, there are some noteworthy differences between the behavior of the Blowtorch and the Pneumatic Drill in WA. The torch always makes a smooth path, but the drill path is slightly jagged, allowing for footholds and unpredictable (a positive in this case) object bounces. Also, the drill can be triggered from a rope, breaking your fall similar to a Parachute.

Many, if not all of the weapons in WA have little quirks like these. Whether intended to be useful or not, they ARE under certain situations that DO happen.

Just remember to not be too rigid, and let the weapons have some personality. :)

Offline Sensei

« Reply #389 on: June 06, 2016, 11:34 AM »
I hope WMD will have lobby and in game chat ignore and kick.

So you can kick ppl who doesn't like zar schemes? haha :)