Forums
May 02, 2024, 07:12 PM

Author Topic: impi's weeny opinion about tus league  (Read 9267 times)

Offline HHC

Re: impi's weeny opinion about tus league
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2013, 04:27 PM »
first off HHC-

"Five schemes that have proven to be well-balanced and... well, schemes that are just good for online competition."

your list of schemes suits your likes, and needs... i cant believe you say wxw is more of a map whore scheme then shoppa... i dont rly see anyone abusing wxw's maps too much (im not saying it doesnt happen) but shoppa! holy shit!! you have the most notorious shoppa map whore in your clan... its actually sick how much he abuses maps.. do i need to mention names???

Yeah, I suppose that when it's up to me it's schemes I like to play myself that I'll pick, but still I think have good reason to ditch the schemes that I left out.

WxW is more a map whoring scheme because in WxW it actually matters on which map you play. If you play it often, you're bound to be at least 5 secs faster in the first 10 turns than the opponent. Same for TTRR. In shopper the only benefit is that you know where its smart not to hide or where you can get stuck.. things that most players can see at first glance neway.

I have told Chelsea not to map whore btw. But yeah.. its not like we play on the same map over and over and over. There's at least 10 or so that we rotate. IMO there aren't that many good alternative maps neway, not in my folders anyway, though Peja says there's 10000's good ones.

and are you really putting hysteria in your list of well balanced and good online competition?? i wont even go there...

That's why I included the part that said it was flawed and needed fixing, but that so far we've failed to come up with anything decent (which is true). I left it in cause it's by far the most popular scheme + it's unique in the classic league. It can't be easily replaced the way WxW can by Roper/regular shop.

but, those are your opinions... if you asked me to make a list of 5, it would be different, if you ask statik to make a list it would be different, if you asked monkeyisland to make  list it would be different, and so on...

This may be true, but we can always find a compromise? Or even vote about it?

The point is, a 5-scheme league is easier for everyone. People wouldnt need to master all this weird freeleague-kinda business, but be able to stick to mastering just 5 basic, challenging schemes. And what's more, games will be more interesting cause it's much harder to pick a scheme that the opponent sucks at. 1-1's won't occur so often anymore.

And let's not forget, BnG should f'ing die.

on topic: you guys are missing the point, your acting as if Impossible wants to introduce money, so he can quit his job, and start a happy life with a beautiful wife, 3 kids, a dog, and a picket fence.. lol..

A PS3 you mean?

p.s.: its not about money, it's about e-penis. Whether EAC gives out 500$ or just 50$, it doesnt really make a difference. It's really only about beating Random and slapping Mab in the face.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 04:31 PM by HHC »

Offline avirex

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2013, 05:01 PM »
peja: because anubis and darkz are into heavy online gaming, we should all take their advice that it may cause more cheating, and drama???

well no shit... thats the case with anything... if i go play a game of basketball with my boys, we are all having fun... if we throw 20 bux on a game with some other dudes... shits getting real.. i might throw an elbow, ill f@#!ing pump up my L.A gear pumps, so i can jump higher, and i will no doubt call fouls when they barely touched me...

so we need an NBA player to come here and tell us these facts??   or is it common sense??   

anyway... as Impo said, you guys are all talking shit with no facts, "tus cant generate enough money" how do you know? where are your facts? whats the problem with trying?? what will it hurt if it does not work...

even if the ads generate less then 10 dollars for an entire year.. whats the big problem? you will have a couple idiots saying "OMG I TOLD YOU SO!! im the most e-LEET" but then MI can decide if he wants to keep the ads and make 10 bux a year or get rid of them...

but if we do earn more money, and i dont know either way, i just hope that we do... then wtf, we can do good things with the money...

and to answer your question Walrus, this is not the first time this thread has came up... MonkeyIsland is on board with the idea (unless anything has changed since last thread) he has researched, and i believe he thinks it can be profitable, and beneficial for the league, and the game as well... (and even his pockets)

as Impo said, he is having trouble getting things going because the country he lives in, i believe... and thats why Impo opened the thread, to keep the discussion rolling, and to offer help...

ill sum up this topic:

fact cons: people might cheat
opinion cons: peja and the rest of you blindly leading each other into believing there is only 2 dollars to be earned.

pros: monkeyisland can earn money for all his time, singles league can earn money, clan league can earn money, cash tournaments, prizes etc.

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2013, 05:10 PM »
I agree with you impo. Is there any SEO professional here ? Does playing video game give you knowledge about it ? I have my doubt.
I very like this article and also this one.
That being said, we could try it for one month and see how many revenues/drama it creates (like a new experimental season).
Judging by it we can chose either to continue it or not. We can help MI set up everything and we can force people to use paypall if they want the money (ask it on the register part).

Offline SpideR

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2013, 05:33 PM »
Oooh impo got some cash by ads, experienced ads boy :D
What are your result$ by far?
Lay down your anger, boy. I'm not taking it personally.
Save it for the governament.

I'm not experienced with ads, and I don't pretend I am either.

It could work, like I said before. Why not trying it... can't disagree!

But there won't be a party here with a few pennys or bucks.

If a player win 10$ for winning a season, that would be cool, really.
But that is not the big party that is being announced.
Weighting the facts...
MI and CS could get sth in return and that's what I see positive, like avi said.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 05:44 PM by SpideR »

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2013, 05:43 PM »
One of the goal I can see is that people will be more satisfied by winning a season even if it is 10 bucks it counts in my opinion.
Just to give you a quick example, I'm going to run sunday a race. I know there will be prizes and I don't know what prizes it will be. Even if it is one tshirt or one free meal it gives me a higher motivation to do my best. I didn't sign up because of it but it gives me higher motivation to know that I will have a award if I do good.
I believe the analogy with tus would be the same. In my opinion, it won't bring that much new player but for the one who plays it, it will give an additional thrill. My only worries (and big one) is really these cheater/avoider/lame players. Lately, there hasn't been that much drama regarding complain I believe. Give it a try, see if people don't ruin it and see where it goes.

« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2013, 05:46 PM »
so MI should put effort into adding ads on tus etc and all give all $$$ income to players? genious xD

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline avirex

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2013, 05:54 PM »
thank you spider: thats the main thing, LETS TRY!!

it cant hurt anything to try, if it does not generate enough money to give cash prize on leagues, then f@#! it.. Monkeyisland just earned a couple bux, and then he can decide if he wants to keep the ads for little profit, or do away with them....

the point is, lets try it... we have absolutely nothing to lose, and everything to gain...

sure, there will be a bit more complaints, and maybe cheating... but i dont think it will be an extensive amount..  the small player base we have now are mostly all pretty mature about league, and i dont think money is going to change that...  thats not speaking for everyone.

and if money attracts more people, that will only translate into more money.. and most options/possibilities..

as long as monkeyisland still supports this idea, we should take steps to make this happen...

and statik, this has all been discussed in another thread... i talked about have a group of guys a "committee" to decide how the money is divided, obviously MonkeyIsland is a part of that group, and he obviously would have the final say...

but i think 50% to clans, 25% to singles, 25% to house...

also: not everyone will want the money, or even be able to accept it..  maybe they wont have paypal, or not 18.... then they can decide how and where they want the money to go... example: reN wins season 1, hes not old enough to collect, but maybe he can have a roper cup, or a roper tourney in his name, and the winner recieves cash prize from ren.... or maybe he wants the money to go to Monkey, or maybe DC+CS... the possibilites are endless, and will create more good then harm :X

im hoping to hear from MI here.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2013, 05:56 PM »
Wasn't the initial goal to introduce money into the league so more players join? Of course you guys will play W:A competitive for money because you actually have a shot at the reward and you play it anyway. But a new player won't be motivated to learn W:A, especially since the skill cap is rather high in W:A, maybe even so high that it is counter productive.

If you guys just need motivation to play W:A then go for it but to think it will attract new players is rather unlikely, just saying. :)

Offline avirex

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2013, 06:03 PM »
i dont think there is any one goal, that are several goals... or, perks to the situation, to say it better...

attracting new players will happen with money.... im not saying people will be flocking, and steam is going to have an overload of buyers :D

but even if it attracted 5 unique players, and 3 oldschoolers, i would say thats a win... do you not agree??

do you and darkz agree? ;p

Offline darKz

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2013, 06:07 PM »
I never claimed to be an expert at this kind of stuff, I only read into some articles and none of them said it's very useful to have adverts on a website which isn't popular on Google and generally has the same visitors (not many unique clicks).

I'd actually be happy if I was wrong though, may as well give it a try. I just don't want people to raise their hopes too much because it's not unlikely that you're gonna be disappointed.
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Anubis

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2013, 06:12 PM »
It's a win.

The question just remains if the additional work for TUS staff is worth it. What's with people that use adblock, do they get a shot at the prize, how to detect them? What's with the people that don't want ads. What's with the people that don't want to play with money. The community can get split between ppl that play leagues for money and some without. The activity could drop. how to handle cheaters?, is noob bashing allowed? Do we need scheduled match ups so ppl cant noob bash? The list doesn't stop there though. There's more to this then just "get money/ads and done".  :-X

Offline avirex

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2013, 06:26 PM »
yeah darkz, i dont know what this site will generate for money, no1 does...

its unfair for impo to say 700, i believe thats unrealistic, and its unfair for peja to say 2 dollars, thats also unrealistic... 

but, as we are all agreeing finally, its worth a try...

anubis: is the work worth it? thats for monkey to decide, he seemed interested in the last topic... he has no posted here yet... hopefully soon ;D

cant detect adblock i guess, and yes they still get a shot at the prize.. hopefully for the sake of the community every removes adblock for tus website, i would even make sure to click the damn ads each visit, why not? takes 5 seconds out of my life? no problem.

ppl that dont wanna play with money: i already said, those ppl can decline the prize, or donate it to something else they see fit... Monkey, DC + CS, Tournaments, hell.. steps even wants donations, hes done alot of work for the community.. plenty of places that money can go, if someone does not want it.

how to handle cheaters: the same way we do now.

is noob bashing allowed: of course it is, you will just get a name for yourself, the community will start calling your chelsea... and then you just get cock slapped in PO's if you even make it.

the list does not stop, but theres alway solutions :X

anyway: i guess im over involved in this topic, just because its something i would really like to see happen... even if it brings no new users, it would bring back people like random, and mablak.. and thats a win for our community alone!

and it would most deff. make the game live longer....

but, theres rly not much more to say here, MonkeyIslands post is the only one that matters now

Offline Anubis

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2013, 06:31 PM »

but, theres rly not much more to say here, MonkeyIslands post is the only one that matters now

That's the only conclusion we can make! :)

Offline Peja

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2013, 07:19 PM »
well avi lets use our 100$ example.
curently we have usually running: Classic (Singles/Clans) TeL or HAL, TRL + every now and then Free league.
i guess it makes sense to pay not only the winner. so you also need to pay runner ups and maybe league winners. maybe even all po participants in clans.
u want to give 25 % to the house
75$ left

lets say we pay just league winners and runner ups and season winners, you will realize pretty soon theres not much left.

and well about attracting people everything is said. you rather attrackt guys like asbest instead of  bringing back someone like almog. when i think at some special clan i dont wanna imagine how they turn if they could just earn 5$. im not a against a try, but cut down your high expectations. im quite sure not much will change besides its getting a bit nasty in leagues and maybe the skilllevel will slightly grow. not the worst thing but poor twy haha.

VoK: i have now beer so my rope will be perfect.
 VoK: will do ttrr every map under 30s

Offline HHC

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2013, 07:56 PM »
If we go with cash, which IMO isn't needed.. it's better to stick to 1 league at the start IMO.

Will put some interest in that specific league while you can check out how much effect the prize money has on general TUS activity.