Forums
May 02, 2024, 06:27 PM

Author Topic: Team17 has announced Worms WMD  (Read 64314 times)

Offline Jonno_Team17

Re: Team17 has announced Worms WMD
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2016, 02:44 PM »
Hey all,

Jonno here - Community Manager over at Team 17. (Danny is still here too, doing the Community thang over on the Steam forums)

I've kindly been invited to the thread to say hi and hopefully answer some questions for you all, so, fire away!
Jonno, any word on the customizability?  WA has gotten a second life through user created content through sites like www.wmdb.org and this one, with uploaded maps.  Any plans to allow imported maps?  I think this point is a make or break for many of the users here, the successful worms titles have all been ninja rope driven through user created shoppers, roperaces, and roper maps.  I see that you guys have spruced up the ninja rope in the new release, it would be a shame to handcuff players and not allow them to rope on proper maps.

Also, we humbly request replay logging, tens of thousands of replays have been stored on this site to be viewed by the community.  I for one would like to see this site support WMD replays of some sort or another if made availible, I said as much in a thread I authored a few months ago.  We are eager to throw our support behind this new title if some allowances are made by t17 to make the best game possible, this site represents nearly a quarter million posts by its users, and we represent much of the "veteran" community. 

I am looking forward to this new release, it seems t17 has come around to making a game that the core worms audience really wants.  This is probably the first time a t17 staff member has ventured on here, the last community manager kind of sucked, looking forward to this new ambassadorship.  Bookmark us and come back anytime, jonno.

Hey,

Ok so customization!

The plan is to launch Worms W.M.D with an 'Image Importer' like the one you're familiar with in Armageddon. This will enable you to import your creations for custom game shenanigans.

Further customisation:

- Worm Speechbank
- Worm Outfit
- Worm Gravestone
- Worm Dance
- Worm Fanfare
- Weapon Skins
- Worm Names

On a similar note we are aware of the 'Roping' community and all going well with the new/old Ninja Rope (with code from Armageddon) we'll be looking at ways to support it post launch, if possible.

I've just spoke to the developers about replays and I have this information; The ability to save a replay isn't in the game, however if you have third party recording software this will capture any in-game footage. To make up for this I am planning to give the Worms Community a platform on the Team17 YouTube channel with their own replay playlist. The specifics are still being decided but I want to show off your awesomeness in an official capacity where it will be archived for all to see.

I hope this answers your questions. If I've missed anything just give me a prod.

Community Manager at Team17

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2016, 02:45 PM »
since he's in work hours :)

Thats why they arent wasted - these hours are paid  ;D

Offline Kradie

« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2016, 03:03 PM »
I have a couple of questions:

Can I choose & Import my own flag?

Can I set borders around the map?

Can I adjust the water level so that worms can walk on water?

You mentioned Image Importer. How big Image can I Import?

Will there be more map theme(s) in the future?

Will there be microtransactions?

Will there be DLC? If so, do we pay for it?
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2016, 03:03 PM »

I've just spoke to the developers about replays and I have this information; The ability to save a replay isn't in the game, however if you have third party recording software this will capture any in-game footage. To make up for this I am planning to give the Worms Community a platform on the Team17 YouTube channel with their own replay playlist. The specifics are still being decided but I want to show off your awesomeness in an official capacity where it will be archived for all to see.

I hope this answers your questions. If I've missed anything just give me a prod.

Hello Jonno, welcome to TUS!

The game replay isn't a video media. If it was, it would be too large and too cumbersome for many of us to watch. The replay must be some file recorded by the game itself and playable by the game. You can see a list of replays here:

https://www.tus-wa.com/leagues/recent-games/

You can click on image to download them. AFAIK The replay feature is made by Deadcode.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Triad

« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2016, 04:27 PM »
Hey Jonno, welcome to TUS.

Sorry, it might sound harsh but I don't think WMD will ever be capable to appeal WA community. Roping physics are important but that's not the only thing what makes WA, WA. Grenade physics (bouncing, sliding) Worms' sliding, slipping physics, replays, easily creatable maps and many other things. Some of the features listed here:
http://wormtube.worms2d.info/81/wa_beta_showdown

Best way I can imagine to appeal everybody is to help current developers Cybershadow and Deadcode to fasten version 4.0 project and if necessary for Team17 (profit-wise) release it with a name like WA Remastered or WA Engine 4, i don't know, can be upgraded from WA on steam, cheaper to upgrade if you already own WA etc. I believe that WA 4.0 project is not just what people expected from WWP Remastered, but even beyond expectations of both casual and veteran players.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:31 PM by Triad »

Offline HHC

« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2016, 04:42 PM »
all this fake faith is just wasting everyone's time, but mostly Jonno's, since he's in work hours :)

He's getting paid though  ::)

Ae, I didn't know about the map editor though, so I guess I have to swallow my words on that one  :)

But yeah, I'm blunt lately  :-[

Still feels like talking to T17's version of our 'community manager' Asbest, it sounds appealing to take a piece of the cake and join in on the hype, but in the end it's all about getting your ass raped.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2016, 06:27 PM »
I got a bad feeling that my questions are going to be overlooked, like most of the questions on the community page.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2016, 07:49 PM »
I got a bad feeling that my questions are going to be overlooked, like most of the questions on the community page.

I think he will look at this once a day, so don't worry about that.

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2016, 01:11 AM »
I am of the opinion that if you make a game for the hardcore, the casuals will follow. The reasoning being that hardcores are very demanding of quality, so if they like a game, everybody else will.

Don't be scared of being labeled "niche". If your game has an accessible UI (like all Worms games), lots of features (like most Worms games), and a flashy presentation (like most modern games), people won't be scared to try something with deep, competitive gameplay - see Rocket League.

A warning, though. This website in some ways represents the worst of Worms. We are the hardest of the hardcore. A veritable in-crowd. You will hear a lot of "just make WA 4.0". And that's certainly a good thing. If Team17 could somehow assist Deadcode & CyberShadow, that would be awesome.

But although WA's gameplay may be near perfect, it's an old game on an old engine with old sensibilities. A proper sequel to WA with the flexibility and consistency of old, combined with the technology of today, would be fantastic for everyone.

Study this thread. Study what people love about WA and hate about...pretty much everything after it (sorry). Ask questions. And above all else, don't be like the previous community managers that Worms fans have nothing but contempt for for being pretty much just a marketing department. We'll respect you if you respect your base (won't we, guys?).

:)

Offline Sensei

« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2016, 01:25 AM »
Good speech.

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2016, 08:48 AM »
I have a couple of questions:

Can I choose & Import my own flag?

At this time W.M.D pulls your team icon from your chosen platform's avatar, replacing the flag's position from Armageddon. However this does mean it's still possible to have any flag of your choosing.

Can I set borders around the map?

Cavern maps come with a border. The only control over borders currently in the game are whether or not you play in a cavern.

Can I adjust the water level so that worms can walk on water?

At this moment in time, no.

You mentioned Image Importer. How big Image can I Import?

Details are still being finalized on that :)

Will there be more map theme(s) in the future?

Currently our focus is on the core game & multiplayer. Beyond launch who knows. (All of our themes are hand drawn now)

Will there be microtransactions?

No

Will there be DLC? If so, do we pay for it?

Much like the map theme question, currently it's all systems go on making Worms W.M.D the best it can be for launch. Post launch support wise, this is something we'll look at once the game is in the wild.

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2016, 09:54 AM »
How many options are being put into the map generator? At present, WA allows you to:

Control the number of mines (as well as their timing) and barrels.
Turn dud mines on or off.
Invert (switch from positive to negative) the map.
Control the level of detail, from almost none to very complicated.
Control the number of theme objects and reseed them without generating a new map.
Switch from destructible to indestructible.
As has been previously mentioned, turn borders on or off for ANY map.
Draw positive and negative straight and freehand lines of multiple thicknesses, with a toggle to slow down the cursor.
Use bucket fill to create a solid map which then adds (reseedable) holes for worms automatically. This is used for a very fun scheme called Mole Shopper.
Over 17,000,000,000 possible maps.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:00 AM by The Extremist »

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2016, 10:02 AM »
How many options are being put into the map generator? At present, WA allows you to:

Control the number of mines (as well as their timing) and barrels.

All of these & more.

Turn dud mines on or off.

This

Invert (switch from positive to negative) the map

Not in the menu I could see

You can manipulate building spawns etc so yes.

Control the number of theme objects and reseed them without generating a new map.

Linked to the above.

Switch from destructible to indestructible.

Yep

As has been previously mentioned, turn borders on or off for ANY map.

Not at this time

Draw positive and negative straight and freehand lines of multiple thicknesses, with a toggle to slow down the cursor.
Create a solid map which then adds (reseedable) holes for worms automatically. This is used for a very fun scheme called Mole Shopper.
Over 17,000,000,000 possible maps.

The final details on the image importer & beyond that are still being finalized.

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2016, 10:09 AM »

Linked to the above.

What I mean by detail is the shape of the map. Either randomly or by a slider, you can go all the way from one big smooth hill to a crazy mess of spikes.

Sounds pretty good otherwise. Though, as has been mentioned, those importer details will be very important for the roping crowd.

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2016, 10:13 AM »

Linked to the above.

What I mean by detail is the shape of the map. Either randomly or by a slider, you can go all the way from one big smooth hill to a crazy mess of spikes.

Sounds pretty good otherwise. Though, as has been mentioned, those importer details will be very important for the roping crowd.

No, the shape of the map can't be edited with a slider. However the generator does have a wide variety of styles that you can narrow down with a selection tab.

When I have those details about the importer I'll be sure to share them with you :)