Forums
May 02, 2024, 11:26 PM

Author Topic: Team17 has announced Worms WMD  (Read 64397 times)

Offline The Extremist

Re: Team17 has announced Worms WMD
« Reply #165 on: April 28, 2016, 11:42 AM »
you're playing a very bad version of devil's advocate at this point

if this is not the main community, what is? #ag? more people here than in #ag, with more voice too, or willingness to talk rather. And if there were more people in #ag (which they aren't) what would you suggest? that Jonno here logs to #ag and starts asking people questions?

Betcha unique logins to AG far outweigh active users on here.

AG isn't a good place for a British developer to ask questions. Lots of South Americans, Eastern Europeans, and increasingly Chinese/Taiwanese. Lots of (greatly needed) noobs, anyhow.

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #166 on: April 28, 2016, 11:44 AM »
I understand looking at previous titles and your expectations that trust towards myself/Team17 must be earned and not expected.

I want to build that bridge and that will take time. As I get more content to share I expect that to come future.

But when the information floodgates open...hold onto your hats.
Community Manager at Team17

Offline HHC

« Reply #167 on: April 28, 2016, 01:22 PM »
TheExtremist sounds exactly like HHC a few worms games ago.

Look at him now.

Team17 have been failing to meet this community's expectations since they removed rankings from WA and then lied for years in year 2000

they've lost the brains behind W2 and WA and have been trying to milk the cow ever since toning down all features WA had and basically insulting its fanbase, a fanbase they've lost completely.

oh and that game, the shelter, is shit too.

I haven't changed on this one IMO.

I'm looking forward to WMD. I enjoyed reloaded and Revolution and Clan Wars were essentially good games, that were sadly ruined by bugs, failing server issues and maybe also the annoying wish to make it more than just 2d.

WMD seems more like reloaded, simple 2D'ish and I have a feeling there's more time put into it. The levels also look great, as do the new game features of vehicles and buildings. That said, the bugs will be there, the server crappiness will be there, the simplistic online leagues as well, but still, as an arcade game (and not an e-sports game as WA has kinda become), it seems alright.

Regarding that previous post of mine: that was mostly frustration over T17's management strategies: more people put on PR and advertising than on actually developing the game..
It's a trend on steam. Companies wanting to twist the reviews into their favour by 'infiltrating' the community with fake accounts or uhmm "bridge builders"..
Naturally it's a strategy that pisses people off.

If you want to make a top seller, make a great game. It seems like some companies just think it's all a matter of 'selling' it the right way. It's not. If WMD stinks the reviews will be awful and people won't buy it anymore. No matter how much time you put into pleasing people. Steam reviews don't lie.

Offline StepS

« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2016, 02:11 PM »
at least they haven't turned freemium, yet
Worms Facebook had purchasable items and some other things (that's normal for a social game though), before being closed an year after its launch.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:16 PM by StepS »
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #169 on: April 28, 2016, 04:08 PM »
Something that immediately turns me off Worms WMD from those screenshots is that the crosshair isn't aligned with the worm's aiming angle.  Worms 2 started the trend of aligning the crosshair with the aiming angle to improve aiming precision, which makes the game more fun.  I hope that can be in Worms WMD.  New players deserve that feature.  I know it seems minor, but I think it is important psychologically to feel like you are aiming through a crosshair that is steady from the worm's perspective.
Sure, it seems asinine to do it any other way, heres to hoping that isn't the final product. 

I'm hopeful, as there seems to be more to like than dislike about this iteration at this point. 

I think I agree with you in philosophy, Lex, but just differ in outlook.  I think I can play this game quite a bit and have fun with it.  I don't view it as worthy like the patched WA, but rather a fun diversion for a bit of playtime.

Good news on the cross-hair alignment - that was a bug and is now fixed. Woop Woop! :D

Offline skunk3

« Reply #170 on: April 28, 2016, 04:58 PM »
I dunno about any of guys, but I for one will be there on release day ready to pwn noobs. It'd be great to see you guys there.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #171 on: April 28, 2016, 05:02 PM »
ZaR and Teleshopper will rule on WMD XD Looking forward to it :)
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #172 on: April 28, 2016, 05:03 PM »
Look forward to have PNG map import feature  :D

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2016, 12:52 AM »
I understand looking at previous titles and your expectations that trust towards myself/Team17 must be earned and not expected.

I want to build that bridge and that will take time. As I get more content to share I expect that to come future.

But when the information floodgates open...hold onto your hats.

Offline Tomi

« Reply #174 on: April 29, 2016, 06:11 PM »
Just some more things about wa:

I hoped much more oldschool or active league player would post here :D But I am sure they follow this topic just like me ;)

Offline chris

« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2016, 08:52 PM »
I'm mostly lurking here, are you going to implement shopper rules natively in WMD? Nowadays you need to tell people when they need to skip turn or that they need to shot weapons form rope when possible.
:o  :-X

Offline skunk3

« Reply #176 on: May 05, 2016, 05:15 PM »
I'm mostly lurking here, are you going to implement shopper rules natively in WMD? Nowadays you need to tell people when they need to skip turn or that they need to shot weapons form rope when possible.

It would be highly difficult to implement rules for various schemes natively. The rules are going to have to be transmitted as they are in W:A... by telling others.

It is our responsibility as old school players to make sure that the newbies are:

1. aware of the rules
2. adhere to the rules
3. understand why there are rules to begin with

The community for the newer games is very dismissive whenever I mention rules. They believe that there should be no rules whatsoever for any scheme and that by trying to implement rules, I (or whoever) am being controlling, narcissistic (that doesn't even make sense), and a general pain in the ass.

With W.M.D. we are going to have to look at ourselves as teachers, role models, and admins, otherwise the community is going to suck. I feel that the online component of W.M.D. both in-game and in the lobby is going to be exponentially better than the games released post-WWP. As long as we have a WormNET type environment with a global chat lobby, it shouldn't be a problem steering the community in the right direction. We just have to be proactive about it, and if people want to be jerks and not listen, we can 'encourage' them to utterly destroying them online. I am prone to listen to someone who is clearly better than me.

We still don't have any info regarding the server system for W.M.D. yet, but with all of the people begging for a global chat lobby, I can only assume that it will feature one. I don't really care if we have separate channels like PartyTime and RopersHeaven (does anyone even use those anymore?) as long as we have a main one. Separate channels would be nice, because who knows what might happen, but a global chat lobby is a MUST for W.M.D. to be a success. A matchmaking system is terrible for Worms, and should have never been implemented.

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #177 on: May 06, 2016, 01:56 PM »

It would be highly difficult to implement rules for various schemes natively. The rules are going to have to be transmitted as they are in W:A... by telling others.

It is our responsibility as old school players to make sure that the newbies are:

1. aware of the rules
2. adhere to the rules

The community for the newer games is very dismissive whenever I mention rules. They believe that there should be no rules whatsoever for any scheme and that by trying to implement rules, I (or whoever) am being controlling, narcissistic (that doesn't even make sense), and a general pain in the ass.

With W.M.D. we are going to have to look at ourselves as teachers, role models, and admins, otherwise the community is going to suck. I feel that the online component of W.M.D. both in-game and in the lobby is going to be exponentially better than the games released post-WWP. As long as we have a WormNET type environment with a global chat lobby, it shouldn't be a problem steering the community in the right direction. We just have to be proactive about it, and if people want to be jerks and not listen, we can 'encourage' them to utterly destroying them online. I am prone to listen to someone who is clearly better than me.

We still don't have any info regarding the server system for W.M.D. yet, but with all of the people begging for a global chat lobby, I can only assume that it will feature one. I don't really care if we have separate channels like PartyTime and RopersHeaven (does anyone even use those anymore?) as long as we have a main one. Separate channels would be nice, because who knows what might happen, but a global chat lobby is a MUST for W.M.D. to be a success. A matchmaking system is terrible for Worms, and should have never been implemented.

Hey,

It's great to see your passionate about welcoming in the new community that will come with the release of Worms W.M.D.

Just as a heads up -

- There are no 'official' rules outside of physical scheme sets that effect game load-outs etc and our terms and conditions that launch with the game.

- If you want to run your own custom lobby then yes, you can ask people play a set way - but there is not a right/wrong way to play outside of a prearranged competitive match/tournament with agreed rules for the competitors.

The nearest comparison to this is the 'Dark Souls' community and the 'PvP Culture' they have created. Yes hardcore players within that sub-culture will adhere to it, but most won't/don't - they just play the game how they want within the confines that the game itself has presented them with.

We are actively looking for Role Models within the community for various reasons that will come apparent post launch.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2016, 06:05 PM »

1. aware of the rules
2. adhere to the rules

Hey,

It's great to see your passionate about welcoming in the new community that will come with the release of Worms W.M.D.

Just as a heads up -

- There are no 'official' rules outside of physical scheme sets that effect game load-outs etc and our terms and conditions that launch with the game.

- If you want to run your own custom lobby then yes, you can ask people play a set way - but there is not a right/wrong way to play outside of a prearranged competitive match/tournament with agreed rules for the competitors.

The nearest comparison to this is the 'Dark Souls' community and the 'PvP Culture' they have created. Yes hardcore players within that sub-culture will adhere to it, but most won't/don't - they just play the game how they want within the confines that the game itself has presented them with.

We are actively looking for Role Models within the community for various reasons that will come apparent post launch.

Jonno, if we are talking about a custom scheme, or a typical default scheme that doesn't have any rules, then you're absolutely right. However, if we are talking about a scheme that already has a rule set, then the rules need to be known and adhered to. Newbie example: Tons of n00bs like to play shopper. Well, in shopper there are 3 rules:

1. CBA (Crate before attack - you must collect at least 1 crate before attacking.)
2. AFR (You must attack from the rope if at all possible. Sometimes you will get a weapon that can't be used from the rope, and that's the only exception.)
3. KTL (Kill the leader. Attack whoever is in 1st place, and if you are in 1st, you attack 2nd place.)

So while these rules aren't hard-coded into the game, they still need to be known and adhered to for the reasons that they were introduced in the first place - namely, gameplay balancing. There's lots of default schemes that don't really have any rules attached to them, and that's fine. However, I think a lot of user-created schemes are going to quickly be imported to WMD, so those players need to know what's up, so we don't have a chaotic mess of n00bs basically ruining everything.

Offline Tomtysti

« Reply #179 on: May 06, 2016, 08:33 PM »
One of the biggest things WA lacks is a good way to teach new players the rules of the schemes, or a way to inform joining players about the rules of a new type of custom scheme. It would be relatively little work for Team17 to implement for example a special field to write down the rules in the scheme editor. The written rules tied to the scheme file would then be displayed in the game lobby when you host the scheme and also, for a quick look, showing during a match for instance if you hover your mouse cursor over a "rules" button in the corner of the screen. This would prevent confusion and toxicity and make creating and playing new schemes much more enjoyable.

Also, if a scheme uses non-default weapon/utility power levels, they should be listed clearly on the game lobby and toggleable to see during the match as well. Preferably all the variables, max damage, crater diameter etc, but even something like this would be nice:

"Changed power settings:

Bazooka *** -> *****
Rope *** -> *****
Mole Bomb *** -> ****"

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:38 PM by Tomtysti »