Forums
May 02, 2024, 09:01 PM

Author Topic: Team17 has announced Worms WMD  (Read 64363 times)

Offline Kradie

Re: Team17 has announced Worms WMD
« Reply #180 on: May 06, 2016, 09:06 PM »
How about 1st channel ''No Rules'' and a 2nd channel ''Games with Rules''

That could help people pick the right channel based on what they are looking for.

A couple of none English channel could also be established for those who are poor in English.

I am also for the idea of hovering mouse cursor over scheme name to display rules in a separate box.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Tomi

« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2016, 09:23 AM »
Once there was a project X (?) wxw scheme where walls were red on the map and if you touched a wall then it become green. However I don't know if it was handled that you could only shoot after you touched all the walls and of course it required special map or special scheme for a map.

Handling if you catched a crate in your turn or not to allow anyone to use a weapon on ground which can be used from rope doesn't sound that hard to implement I guess.. however I am sure there will be new schemes there with new rules where the old-school "tell the newbie the rules" way will work.. unless new rules would be implemented with updates ;)

By the way that russian video I posted is a good example about how helpful the community was. They made a video for new russian players to catch up with the wa community (because it's not that easy) and showed them rules, weapons and also glitches (which are really loved to be used in fun games (in league games they are not allowed to use)). There was a lot of attempt to make tutorial videos / topics to help new players with more or less success. (Mine: https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/worms-armageddon/newbie-guide-book-26874/ ;))

Offline Triad

« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2016, 10:28 AM »
Once there was a project X (?) wxw scheme where walls were red on the map and if you touched a wall then it become green. However I don't know if it was handled that you could only shoot after you touched all the walls and of course it required special map or special scheme for a map.

Handling if you catched a crate in your turn or not to allow anyone to use a weapon on ground which can be used from rope doesn't sound that hard to implement I guess.
Nullum WxW maps Project X version yes. However won't allowing to attack before you touch walls sounds like a bad idea. You know sometimes you can't touch walls, fire a random bazooka and hide. Instead, we can implement /boom aka boom racing stuff, which allows your opponent to not effect from your attacks (but we can slightly edit it so we can still knock.) So there should be a knocking allowed boom racing stuff at the start of each turn and only way to disable it would be grabbing a crate and touching all walls. Now that would be friggin' awesome.

Edit: Actually Cybershadow and Deadcode can make this. Like a special color let's say if a map has #ff0101 color, it will be a red wall, another colorfor blue wall etc. We could update some old maps to make them usable for new schemes. Also add knockable boom racing idea to this wxw scheme and also to roper and shopper. And you'll have a cow-free schemes.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 10:41 AM by Triad »

Offline skunk3

« Reply #183 on: May 10, 2016, 02:40 AM »
What do you guys think about the "unwanted Christmas present?" lol!

I think it has some strategic potential. Looking at newer footage I gotta say that the 60 fps smoothness of WMD is looking NICE.

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #184 on: May 12, 2016, 09:47 AM »
Hey all,

Myself & Danny are streaming a slightly updated Worms W.M.D build today at 6:30pm BST.

It'll be on the intermediate scheme with vehicles & crate drops turned off.

If you fancy popping by you'll find us here: www.twitch.tv/team17ltd
Community Manager at Team17

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #185 on: May 12, 2016, 10:04 AM »
Jonno, will this stream be available to view later? Working nightshift I won't be awake then :(

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #186 on: May 12, 2016, 11:40 AM »
Jonno, will this stream be available to view later? Working nightshift I won't be awake then :(

It's Twitch, so yes

It'll be on Twitch and I'll upload it to YouTube if the quality is good :)

Offline Anubis

« Reply #187 on: May 12, 2016, 12:48 PM »
If you want it to be available on twitch VoD make sure to enable it in the options, otherwise it won't get recorded.

Offline goom

« Reply #188 on: May 14, 2016, 08:45 AM »
watched the VOD from thursday, and a few things about WMD especially caught my eye.

• first, the landing frames seem almost nonexistant, which looks really unnatural.

compare this clip of WMD with some W:A jumping (arrow held to move asap, indicating lagframes)

W:A really emphasizes the impact from the jump, and WMD really should do the same. at the moment the landing feels like something out of a flash game (i went there! ;))

it's easy to see the issue with x0.30 speed

• one positive thing that i believe worms revolution did for worms was the segmented status bar (per-worm). is there any reason for not including it in WMD, other than to just 'be more like W:A'?

• lastly, i understand that the interface is large due to it being designed for cross-compatibility, and players need to be able to easily read things from the couch. however, due to how obtrusive the team list is (4 teams is half the screen size!), a great compromise for PC (and console) players would be an option to use a scaled down GUI.

(compare to W:A assets, still perfectly legible at 50%)

thanks for reading, hope you can pass along my suggestions! (i'll be back with more)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 09:03 AM by goom »

Offline Lex

« Reply #189 on: May 14, 2016, 12:32 PM »
Nice post, goom!  I agree with everything you mentioned.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #190 on: May 14, 2016, 12:42 PM »
Speaking of the landing and its feel, does the worm rotate between rope shots? That's another aspects of W:A roping which emphasizes the roping feel.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Lex

« Reply #191 on: May 14, 2016, 12:57 PM »
It also enhances the sense of speed, since its rotation speed depends on its movement speed.  Also, it rotates clockwise when moving right and counterclockwise when moving left.  There have been worms games in the past in which the worm rotated only one direction regardless of the direction of motion, which made no visual sense when considering the way it would roll down a slope.

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2016, 01:38 PM »
Speaking of the landing and its feel, does the worm rotate between rope shots? That's another aspects of W:A roping which emphasizes the roping feel.

It does, depending on how much momentum you've built up.

For example, a light swing and you probably won't rotate. But a speedy swing will cause you to rotate between shots.

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2016, 01:44 PM »
Will Worms WMD support custom maps in PNG format or any other?

Offline Rabbzz

« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2016, 01:58 PM »
Pretty sure this was answered some pages back and it was a yes.