Forums
May 02, 2024, 02:28 PM

Author Topic: Team17 has announced Worms WMD  (Read 64243 times)

Offline skunk3

Re: Team17 has announced Worms WMD
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2016, 06:22 PM »

The mechanics have been vastly different, I do admit that. Reloaded is the worst of the bunch IMO. It was hard to maneuver in that game because if you tried jumping onto a bit of terrain that was even somewhat steep, you'd just slide off. The friction was also weird too. Sometimes Worms would barely slide at all, and other times they'd slide like you lubed the terrain with oil. The rope also behaved like the inbred/retarded cousin of the rope from the previous games.

Overall though, I'd say what I've said before: It's not that the mechanics are "bad" per se, it's just that they are different. Compared to W:A they seem bad, but judged on their own, they are what they are. I am in full agreement that the most pleasing mechanics/physics of any of the games is W:A, but W:A isn't perfect by any means. Did you see that thread of weird/wtf shotgun attacks? Most of those simply should not have been able to happen, let's be honest. They are a result of learning the flaws in the mechanics of the game and exploiting them. There's a lot of W:A gameplay that is based around that.

As far as physics goes, the physics model in Rev/CW is far more realistic than that of W:A. Does this mean it's more fun? That's subjective. I like the physics of W:A and in some ways I like the newer physics of Clan Wars. In W:A, the wind has a *much* stronger effect than in the newer games, which I like because it allows for more creative shots, especially with low gravity. Conversely, I kinda prefer the way the grenades bounce/roll in Clan Wars vs. W:A because it's more realistic and just makes more sense. That's not to say I don't like the W:A model; I merely prefer certain aspects of certain Worms games.

From what I've seen of WMD footage, the gravity looks just fine. The thing that looks off is friction/sliding. Also, the animations of the worms while roping look too static. I like it in W:A when you're flying through the air and your worm is tumbling and spinning at different speeds because that really imparts a sense of momentum.

Anyway, I think that WMD has promise. I hope that Team17 knocks it out of the park.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2016, 06:59 PM »
Yokaa Laylee has a neat little option, you can basically choose what graphics mode you want. Say if you feel a little bit Nostalgic, switch to Nintendo 64 graphics. If Team17 could implement something like that to Worms WMD, that would be interesting. They already have all of the realistic graphics & physics set up, why not add some WA addition over as an option?  So if you host a game in a lobby, you choose WA gfx/physics, it will say so in the host description.

Although, this sounds like a long shot, doubt it would even be considered.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Peltzi

« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2016, 07:11 PM »
I'm ready to believe that W.M.D. has the familiar rope, they just don't have any skilled enough people to showcase it maybe?
Also the overall velocity objects can move is possibly capped lower than in W:A.

I would be happy to be able to roll grenades up and down slopes and bounce them around in angles other than horizontal or vertical but so far the problem with the newer physics is inconsistency in my opinion: Sometimes the friction seems to glue objects instantly to the ground and sometimes they accelerate extremely fast when rolling down slopes.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2016, 10:12 PM »

The mechanics have been vastly different, I do admit that. Reloaded is the worst of the bunch IMO. It was hard to maneuver in that game because if you tried jumping onto a bit of terrain that was even somewhat steep, you'd just slide off. The friction was also weird too. Sometimes Worms would barely slide at all, and other times they'd slide like you lubed the terrain with oil. The rope also behaved like the inbred/retarded cousin of the rope from the previous games.

Overall though, I'd say what I've said before: It's not that the mechanics are "bad" per se, it's just that they are different. Compared to W:A they seem bad, but judged on their own, they are what they are. I am in full agreement that the most pleasing mechanics/physics of any of the games is W:A, but W:A isn't perfect by any means. Did you see that thread of weird/wtf shotgun attacks? Most of those simply should not have been able to happen, let's be honest. They are a result of learning the flaws in the mechanics of the game and exploiting them. There's a lot of W:A gameplay that is based around that.

As far as physics goes, the physics model in Rev/CW is far more realistic than that of W:A. Does this mean it's more fun? That's subjective. I like the physics of W:A and in some ways I like the newer physics of Clan Wars. In W:A, the wind has a *much* stronger effect than in the newer games, which I like because it allows for more creative shots, especially with low gravity. Conversely, I kinda prefer the way the grenades bounce/roll in Clan Wars vs. W:A because it's more realistic and just makes more sense. That's not to say I don't like the W:A model; I merely prefer certain aspects of certain Worms games.

From what I've seen of WMD footage, the gravity looks just fine. The thing that looks off is friction/sliding. Also, the animations of the worms while roping look too static. I like it in W:A when you're flying through the air and your worm is tumbling and spinning at different speeds because that really imparts a sense of momentum.

Anyway, I think that WMD has promise. I hope that Team17 knocks it out of the park.
You are turning into a fanboy Vince.  Call a spade a spade.  The physics in reloaded are shit.  Not just comparatively, they are standalone shit.  Peltzi makes a good point here.  If you want me to expound on why the phsyics in reloaded sucks, I will, but it seems pretty obvious.  WMD is already going to have better physics than any of the other shit worms games, its obvious if you watch the videos and the stream.

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2016, 10:27 PM »
The #1 issue with physics in modern Worms games is consistency. Yes, WA's physics are unrealistic at times, but even the weird stuff can be predicted. In Worms 2: Armageddon, I don't think I was ever able to do a single maneuver aside from walking without a strange jump/slide/bounce/wind gust happening. These problems have gotten better since, but I still see a touch of the unpredictable in the current WMD footage.

Here's a simple rule to follow - mistakes should always be your fault, but the game balance should allow you to recover from minor mistakes.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:29 PM by The Extremist »

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2016, 08:36 AM »
Hey all,

Jonno here - Community Manager over at Team 17. (Danny is still here too, doing the Community thang over on the Steam forums)

I've kindly been invited to the thread to say hi and hopefully answer some questions for you all, so, fire away!
Community Manager at Team17

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2016, 10:14 AM »
13. Only one player per computer/system for online matches... which I don't see as a huge issue anyway since most people who add 2 teams are lying anyway.

That actually is an issue, there are quite a few schemes that require multiple teams, all this does is limit the playability.

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2016, 10:28 AM »
I think I'll just quote it.
13. Only one player per computer/system for online matches... which I don't see as a huge issue anyway since most people who add 2 teams are lying anyway.
Putting such a restriction is... a bad idea, to say the least.
Point 1: In W:A, teams' names in lobby share their color with teams' owner's nickname, which makes this tactic quite obvious, and therefore ineffective.
Point 2: In case of 1v1ing schemes which require a high number of worms per alliance, adding more teams per player is what people usually do.
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2016, 11:30 AM »
Hey all,

Jonno here - Community Manager over at Team 17. (Danny is still here too, doing the Community thang over on the Steam forums)

I've kindly been invited to the thread to say hi and hopefully answer some questions for you all, so, fire away!

not so much of a question. But since you're here, welcome.

Notice this website? it's for one of Team17's oldest games. Notice how it's the only active place for any worms game ever since 1999 to 2016?

please take your time to study this website, to realize why this game has survived the test of time, why so many people still play it. Compare it to worms games post WWP (wa's expansion), and convince the rest of the crew of all the things lacking in comparison in hopes the next worms game has at least comparable depth to a game released 17 years ago.

thanks Jonno!

Thank you for the welcome!

That's the plan, I want to engage with the veteran community and provide it with Team17's ear and support if desired.

I'll be having a look through the forums and getting a gist on things.
Community Manager at Team17

Offline Senator

« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2016, 11:49 AM »
What people want is what Counter-Strike 1.6 players got in Global Offensive after the awful Source release: similar gameplay with better graphics + some new features (match-making system, improved flash & smoke grenades, molotovs, weapon skins etc). WA 4.0 won't offer better graphics or a working MM system, that's something a new Worms release could do.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2016, 11:59 AM »
Hey all,

Jonno, any word on the customizability?  WA has gotten a second life through user created content through sites like www.wmdb.org and this one, with uploaded maps.  Any plans to allow imported maps?  I think this point is a make or break for many of the users here, the successful worms titles have all been ninja rope driven through user created shoppers, roperaces, and roper maps.  I see that you guys have spruced up the ninja rope in the new release, it would be a shame to handcuff players and not allow them to rope on proper maps.

Also, we humbly request replay logging, tens of thousands of replays have been stored on this site to be viewed by the community.  I for one would like to see this site support WMD replays of some sort or another if made availible, I said as much in a thread I authored a few months ago.  We are eager to throw our support behind this new title if some allowances are made by t17 to make the best game possible, this site represents nearly a quarter million posts by its users, and we represent much of the "veteran" community. 

I am looking forward to this new release, it seems t17 has come around to making a game that the core worms audience really wants.  This is probably the first time a t17 staff member has ventured on here, the last community manager kind of sucked, looking forward to this new ambassadorship.  Bookmark us and come back anytime, jonno.

Offline HHC

« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2016, 12:56 PM »
Community manager at T17, that's about the shittiest job you can get haha
Sent here by the HQ to do some advertising, listen to the same old 'veteran' voices that just want a game EXACTLY like WA, make some feeble promises, excuse yourself for not being able to disclose any information not already available on the interwebs, all the while struggling hard to maintain a straight, smiley face. Ehh, I do not envy thee.

IMO ur presence is totally useless here.

Might as well get yourself a cup of coffee.

edit: my humongous sig banner will do the job just fine.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:57 PM by HHC »

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2016, 01:03 PM »
Sent here by the HQ to do some advertising, listen to the same old 'veteran' voices that just want a game EXACTLY like WA, make some feeble promises, excuse yourself for not being able to disclose any information not already available on the interwebs, all the while struggling hard to maintain a straight, smiley face. Ehh, I do not envy thee.

don't mind hhc, he has many refugees from syria occupying his house, eating all his food and plugging his toilet.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2016, 02:20 PM »

Whoa there, shots fired m8. First of all, HQ didn't sent them, I did (from Worms Guild). Now that he is going to be watching us here, there may be a chance of revival for the Worms franchise, so don't throw "steaks" at him as a greeting, please!

Offline Sensei

« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2016, 02:26 PM »
HQ didn't sent them, I did

You see, HHC, now you supposed to feel better! :D