Forums
May 02, 2024, 04:50 PM

Author Topic: Team17 has announced Worms WMD  (Read 64286 times)

Offline skunk3

Re: Team17 has announced Worms WMD
« Reply #285 on: June 02, 2016, 02:13 PM »
Nah skunk, I agree with you on some things but ropa is right when he says the physics of WA do indeed have more depth than other Worms titles.

I am not saying the other titles are wrong, they just seem too random at times, i've played most of them and I did enjoy them, but they are only enjoyable for a few weeks then they get boring because they lack the depth WA has.

This is what I am afraid will happen to WMD because it seems they aren't interested in the things we know for sure make the game better.

I fail to understand how the physics have more 'depth' in W:A vs. any of the other new titles. I think that what you mean is that you are more able to accurately predict shots based upon your knowledge of W:A vs. the other games. The reason why the newer games get boring is because of poor choices made by Team17 in terms of stuff we've mentioned before,  like UI, lack of customization, lack of global chat, poor performance on older machines, lack of gameplay features to make worming more enjoyable in general (like stuff that was patched into W:A), etc. Any of the new games could be much, much better if Team17 merely patched them... and if they actually took the time to make them cross-play compatible, they'd be very active. (And fun!)

I just played a bunch of Battlegrounds (for PS4) last night and I gotta say that in my opinion, the opposite is true. Battlegrounds has more depth when it comes to the physics side of things, but that's just my opinion and I guess what you are referring to as 'depth' is still nebulous. To me, the physics in W:A is a bit cartoon-like on the whole, especially when it comes to the ability to make insane boomerang shots with LG + zook in hysteria, or the utterly simplistic way that grenades bounce. In W:A, nades will bounce and bounce and bounce, whereas in the newer 2.5D games, they will only bounce when it makes sense that they should, otherwise they will eventually fall, roll, and come to a stop.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #286 on: June 02, 2016, 02:18 PM »
I agree with Lex completely. Teasers are fine and all, but they are wasted on this group of players. Teasers are more for casuals and newbies to the series. What veterans want is solid information. No tricks, no marketing, no surprises. Team17 has a wealth of veteran players who they could recruit to beta test and provide critical feedback to ensure that any new Worms game is as good as it can possibly be... has ANYONE been selected to beta test? I haven't. I signed up on the Team17 website and I've also been essentially spamming the Steam forums for ages, and nothing. Jonno, I want you to post info, but I just want you to keep in mind what kind of crowd you're dealing with. Many of us are in our late twenties to mid thirties, if not older...

I understand that there are things that you simply aren't allowed to talk about. I get that. However, all I'm sayin' is that we already have a Worms game that we love, so in order for us to rally behind a new title, we need more transparency from Team17. I am excited for WMD, but I can totally understand why many others couldn't care less. The last few Worms titles have been kinda crap.. (compared to W:A)

If it's full transparency you want, you'll get that pretty soon. (Vague I know but when the floodgates open...)

Then i'll be able to answer the vast majority of your questions fully and collate informed feedback from yourselves.

Fun fact - you're the only people the Ninja Rope information was given too, by seeing if any of you made predictions on what you thought the expanded arsenal could be it'd give me a good idea on how you'd receive them. There's method to the madness - I also genuinely wanted to share it with you, as a nod to the Rope Pro community.

I am excited. I am glad that you dropped the rope bomb on us. It must suck being in a community manager type position in which you are contractually bound to not talk about certain things until you're allowed to, and have the gamers pester the f@#! out of you in the meantime, lol.

Nobody has guessed the second 'type' of rope yet - so I'll wager one more guess as I puff on this spliff...

Is it a magic rope that flies around like a magic carpet, but it is steerable, and when you touch terrain, it stops moving and effectively acts as a long, shapeable girder? It'd be cool if the worm would put on a turban and play a flute while this is going on, lol

Offline ANO

« Reply #287 on: June 02, 2016, 03:26 PM »
you can modify your post instead of double or triple posting

Offline ANO

« Reply #288 on: June 02, 2016, 03:26 PM »
like this...

Offline Anubis

« Reply #289 on: June 02, 2016, 04:04 PM »
He also does this on Steam forums. :P

Offline ANO

« Reply #290 on: June 02, 2016, 05:07 PM »
he must write at least 4 A4 pages every day...

Offline skunk3

« Reply #291 on: June 02, 2016, 08:52 PM »
What is your point? Shut up.

Offline Lex

« Reply #292 on: June 02, 2016, 10:05 PM »
It's extremely immature to comment on post length.  If you don't want to read it, simply don't read it.  There are those who can read quickly and have no problem doing so.  Similarly, there are those who can write quickly and have no problem doing so.

Offline ANO

« Reply #293 on: June 02, 2016, 10:16 PM »
It's extremely immature to comment on post length.  If you don't want to read it, simply don't read it.  There are those who can read quickly and have no problem doing so.  Similarly, there are those who can write quickly and have no problem doing so.

itìs extremely immature to comment on someone who commented on post length.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #294 on: June 03, 2016, 06:39 AM »
Lex, let the plebs be plebs, they have no class ;)

Offline Kradie

« Reply #295 on: June 03, 2016, 06:41 AM »
New video, check it out :)
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline goom

« Reply #296 on: June 03, 2016, 06:47 AM »
i don't care how many posts anybody makes so long as it is all relevant to the topic at hand. the more talk about WMD, the better 8)

Nah skunk, I agree with you on some things but ropa is right when he says the physics of WA do indeed have more depth than other Worms titles.

I am not saying the other titles are wrong, they just seem too random at times, i've played most of them and I did enjoy them, but they are only enjoyable for a few weeks then they get boring because they lack the depth WA has.

This is what I am afraid will happen to WMD because it seems they aren't interested in the things we know for sure make the game better.
I just played a bunch of Battlegrounds (for PS4) last night and I gotta say that in my opinion, the opposite is true. Battlegrounds has more depth when it comes to the physics side of things, but that's just my opinion and I guess what you are referring to as 'depth' is still nebulous. To me, the physics in W:A is a bit cartoon-like on the whole, especially when it comes to the ability to make insane boomerang shots with LG + zook in hysteria, or the utterly simplistic way that grenades bounce. In W:A, nades will bounce and bounce and bounce, whereas in the newer 2.5D games, they will only bounce when it makes sense that they should, otherwise they will eventually fall, roll, and come to a stop.

'depth' semantics aside, my personal opinion is that the Worms series truly seems better suited to having 'fun' physics, so long as shots are both predictable and consistent. entertainment level should always be a priority over realism, but that's not to say that you can't have both. wacky + bounce nades pair nicely with a more realistic 'soft' bouncing - setting.

problems arise when the devs attempt try to force the entire game's physics to be from a realist standpoint, which can severely impact entertainment value. (see: ninja flaccid rope) i'm glad they seem to be a little more open this time around.

make no mistake, by no means am i saying W:A physics interactions are perfect - there is a lot of room for improvement (especially regarding slopes) - but WMD really needs to use this as a stepping stone, not try to reinvent the wheel.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 03, 2016, 07:10 AM »
Nice hair Jonno
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #298 on: June 03, 2016, 07:17 AM »
I fail to understand how the physics have more 'depth' in W:A vs. any of the other new titles. I think that what you mean is that you are more able to accurately predict shots based upon your knowledge of W:A vs. the other games.

That is exactly part of what gives WA more depth, the fact you can predict most things, added along with all the enhancements DC/CS brought us, nothing will ever top WA unless they take our advice.

I guess what you are referring to as 'depth' is still nebulous. To me, the physics in W:A is a bit cartoon-like on the whole, especially when it comes to the ability to make insane boomerang shots with LG + zook in hysteria, or the utterly simplistic way that grenades bounce. In W:A, nades will bounce and bounce and bounce, whereas in the newer 2.5D games, they will only bounce when it makes sense that they should, otherwise they will eventually fall, roll, and come to a stop.

I wouldn't say grenades are simplistic, only a few players truly mastered BnG(without notching, so barman/Mablak/Random etc don't count), and it took years to achieve that level of creativity & consistency.

When I am talking about depth, refer to the 1st part of this post, in terms of simplicity, it's all the same really, WA has more depth because of everything that is possible, it wasn't even Team17 that made WA as good as it is, it was fan-based programmers, who IMO done a way better job than Team17 ever could/will, because they understood the game and what the players want.

The reason why the newer games get boring is because of poor choices made by Team17 in terms of stuff we've mentioned before,  like UI, lack of customization, lack of global chat, poor performance on older machines, lack of gameplay features to make worming more enjoyable in general (like stuff that was patched into W:A), etc. Any of the new games could be much, much better if Team17 merely patched them... and if they actually took the time to make them cross-play compatible, they'd be very active. (And fun!)

Agreed, but that's just part of the reason.

Edit:

Nice hair Jonno

Sh*t phone me an ambulance i'm having a heart attack!!!

Offline ANO

« Reply #299 on: June 03, 2016, 07:53 AM »
Is there any good video to watch rope?

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/25228534.jpg